Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #241
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Oh, I know what it is. The more Alarms you have, the more memory it takes up. Every alarm is an instance of a particular Alarm object which takes up a good chunk of memory. I wrote a library based on the Alarm library so I'll be facing that issue too.
Your IR variables shouldn't take up much, maybe 64 Bytes or so.
According to the documentation on the TimeAlarms library, each alarm should only take up 11b, and it's reserved if it's used or not... So with 24 alarms specified in the .h file, it should only be using 264b. That's still a pretty hefty chunk of the total, but I'm not sure as to what's using the other ~1200b. I guess all of the text strings collectively take up a large portion as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #242
Dahammer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've moved the IR codes to flash and made a few other optimizations, I will post it once I'm done tinkering with it.
Dahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #243
Highlander
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

May I ask you folks a question? What made you pick to use this style controller for a per made led over a DIY led? The reason I ask is because I am between build my led with a Typhon and a current + with this setup. Don't mean to hijack, just didn't know how to get a hold of your attention. Thanks
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #244
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamp View Post
May I ask you folks a question? What made you pick to use this style controller for a per made led over a DIY led? The reason I ask is because I am between build my led with a Typhon and a current + with this setup. Don't mean to hijack, just didn't know how to get a hold of your attention. Thanks
Well lets take this tangent a bit farther 1)do you mean buildmyled as in a company? not sure if the Typhon will work well since I believe the buildmyled is 10V analog dimming and 2)Unless you know others the Typhon is a simple 4 channel "fade in fade out" controller (as programmed normally) w/ PWM output (trust me don't try using it analog 10V dimmer drivers) not the bells and whistles Current sat + w/ clouds ect..
3)They are modding the commands to controller basically but not the controller itself (and its built in logic). I (which doesn't mean all that much) don't know any cheap controllers w/ all the bells and whistles of the Sat +

Which is this in fish form.............
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #245
Caver
Algae Grower

As for me...I bought the light before I knew about the controller. I looked into DIY LED fixtures, but I couldn't find one that I felt like doing all the mechanical fixture building. Plus I personally like the slim trim physical appearance of the LED+. The LED+ also has the dynamic cloud modes built in.

From an electronics DIY point of view, I personally find it simpler to build up this Arduino IR remote controller than the control circuitry for the other products available. I'm pretty comfortable working with the electronics hardware, but I'm not so good at software, so I'm riding the coat-tails of the programming guys...

Now if I wanted a high light - hi tech tank with ferts & CO2, I might have gone in a different direction. But for a low - medium light, low tech tank, I like this a lot!

All my personal opinions. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #246
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought the light because it's sleek, packed with features, and puts me right between low and medium light on my tank, which is what I'm aiming for. Once I got it I thought it was kind of silly to have all of the dynamic weather effects and nearly infinitely adjustable colors with no automation. Plugged into a regular on/off timer it was kinda lame. I had a spare Arduino lying around and realized how easy it would be to control the fixture if I could figure out the IR codes. So here we are.

The light is about as cool as you can get in this price range, and our controller is endlessly more customizable than what current plans to offer (when it finally hits the market). I have yet to find another solution as cost effective and loaded with features. Once it's all said and done, I will have around $175 in the setup, including the 48" light fixture. I don't think you can get complete automation, dynamic weather, and full spectrum RGB LEDs in any other setup for even twice that price.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 08-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #247
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
I don't think you can get complete automation, dynamic weather, and full spectrum RGB LEDs in any other setup for even twice that price.
Yep, pretty good move on Current's part.. AND yours..
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #248
Highlander
Planted Member

Jeffkrol, I did mean the company buildmyled but it could be any source for led's. thanks again for all the input from all of you. I still have a lot to research and the decision will be tough for me. Thanks again
Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #249
Highlander
Planted Member

Well I bought the Current satellite + for my 56g. I will be upgrading my tank size next summer to a 90 and will go med-high light with DIY lights and controller. Maybe my kids tabk can use the light when i upgrade. I am subscribing to this thread now so I can practice with putting a broad together and learn how to use your codes. Thank for doing the grunt work on this project. I wish I knew how to even start writing codes. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #250
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Don't know why current doesn't release a high power version of this light. Even at twice the price it would still be a good deal for what you get.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #251
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They are supposedly working on a high-par planted tank version. It's been delayed.a few times though. My guess is they have trouble with heat in such a slim fixture with no fans and no room for passive cooling.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #252
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamp View Post
Well I bought the Current satellite + for my 56g. I will be upgrading my tank size next summer to a 90 and will go med-high light with DIY lights and controller. Maybe my kids tabk can use the light when i upgrade. I am subscribing to this thread now so I can practice with putting a broad together and learn how to use your codes. Thank for doing the grunt work on this project. I wish I knew how to even start writing codes. Thanks again for the help.
Welcome aboard! Great to have another potential Arduino fan. I'm not the best at coding, but thankfully dahammer and mistergreen are. If you can unzip a few files and copy/paste you should be good to go. Very few tweaks are needed to get it working how you want, and its easy to pick up the basics of the code just by playing with it. Putting the hardware together is as easy or difficult as you want, depending on what components you buy and features you want to include.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #253
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

If you are looking for a cheap Uno I found a seller on ebay which sells good quality stuff at good prices. I ordered a Mega from them for another project.

Look up ebay item 121149850931 for an Uno for $10.

$30 ebay 271178601107 gets you Uno, LCD, and proto board so you can attach the IR and RTC for a much cleaner look.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #254
Caver
Algae Grower

Absolutely!

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more hoopla on the net about the Current USA Satellite LED+! Maybe it's because it's in the low-medium light class for plants.

When I did my research to buy an LED light a couple of months ago, I couldn't find anything at it's price point with all the features.

At first I was a little dismayed that the only way to control it was with the remote, but now that is turning out to be an advantage. I really like the lights build quality. It feels very solid and looks great on the tank.

It will be interesting to see if Current USA will keep up their creativity and quality in the next products.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #255
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
If you are looking for a cheap Uno I found a seller on ebay which sells good quality stuff at good prices. I ordered a Mega from them for another project.

Look up ebay item 121149850931 for an Uno for $10.
These are arduino clones. They should work but sometimes there are little bugs here and there. Just watch out for it.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arduino, automation, current led+, diy, light controller