Biowheels and DIY CO2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
blickquickly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Biowheels and DIY CO2?

I have a DIY CO2 setup connected directly to the intake on my HOB MarineLand Biowheel 150 (29g tank) as I thought an impeller was suppose to be an excellent diffuser. Now Ive read recently that biowheels arent good for CO2 injecting. I also read one comment somewhere that I should even take the carbon out of the filters. Is there any truth to these statements?

Last edited by blickquickly; 01-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: because I have fat fingers
blickquickly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
tug
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeast has a tendency to grow along the air line leading to the tank and into the diffuser. You might want to try modifying a small powerhead to diffuse your CO2 if only to keep it away from the filter.

The conventional wisdom is that biowheels and HOB (hang on back) filters gas off too much CO2.
After seeing some nice tanks that use HOB filters, I am beginning to have my doubts about this, when using a pressurized CO2 system.

With DIY CO2 there is no way to increase the injection rate and a canister filter will reduce the off gassing of CO2.

Activated carbon filters remove those molecules that contain carbon. So it depends on what fertilizers you are dosing.
Some fertilizers do contain small amounts of urea which will get stuck in your filter - most do not and will pass through.
I do not see any reason to use an AC (activated carbon) filter but in most cases it isn't a problem.
Still, unless you have a reason for it, your just as well off without it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.