Web Based IR Light Controller
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #1
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Harry Muscle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Default

Web Based IR Light Controller


There are a few light controllers already out there that can control the Current USA Satellite and/or Ecoxotic E Series fixtures but none of them seem to be web based. Since the rest of my tank will be controlled by an Apex controller I didn't like the idea of having something that requires physical access to change settings on.

I write code for a living so it only made sense to write a controller that's accessible via the web from a browser ... both desktop and mobile.

I had an Arduino Uno and Ethernet shield lying around so that seemed like the perfect platform.

The Arduino Uno doesn't have much ROM space but so far things are fitting ... just barely though.

The controller is still a work in progress, about 75% done I'd say. The Arduino code is pretty much all done just not debugged yet. Most of the work left is on the web side of things.

Here's a link to the project code:

https://github.com/Stonyx/IRLightController

The controller borrows a concept from the iAqua Lite where you predefine the color values for the 4 memory buttons and then fade between those. However it greatly expands on this by allowing a total of 50 schedule entries per week for when the various colors should be active. It also adds 50 additional schedules per week for sending any IR command to the light which adds great flexibility to do fun things with the various dynamic modes.

It also gets its time from a NTP time server on the web so no more having to change the time when daylight savings kicks in.

And lastly it will be able to control both the Satellite and E Series fixtures.

I'll post updates here as I make progress but feel free to check the Github link for the latest changes and post here with questions, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
rottison
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toledo ohio
Posts: 317
Default

wow that sounds great I don't one of them light but there are many here that I am sure that will be downloading that for sure..
rottison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,191
Default

That's a good idea with using the NTP server. I would use both a time server and an RTC. Network connection can go down on some days although rarely but it does happen. The time server can correct the RTC on daylight savings.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 3,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
There are a few light controllers already out there that can control the Current USA Satellite and/or Ecoxotic E Series fixtures but none of them seem to be web based. Since the rest of my tank will be controlled by an Apex controller I didn't like the idea of having something that requires physical access to change settings on.

I write code for a living so it only made sense to write a controller that's accessible via the web from a browser ... both desktop and mobile.

I had an Arduino Uno and Ethernet shield lying around so that seemed like the perfect platform.

The Arduino Uno doesn't have much ROM space but so far things are fitting ... just barely though.

The controller is still a work in progress, about 75% done I'd say. The Arduino code is pretty much all done just not debugged yet. Most of the work left is on the web side of things.

Here's a link to the project code:

https://github.com/Stonyx/IRLightController

The controller borrows a concept from the iAqua Lite where you predefine the color values for the 4 memory buttons and then fade between those. However it greatly expands on this by allowing a total of 50 schedule entries per week for when the various colors should be active. It also adds 50 additional schedules per week for sending any IR command to the light which adds great flexibility to do fun things with the various dynamic modes.

It also gets its time from a NTP time server on the web so no more having to change the time when daylight savings kicks in.

And lastly it will be able to control both the Satellite and E Series fixtures.

I'll post updates here as I make progress but feel free to check the Github link for the latest changes and post here with questions, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Harry

Just an FYI and a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT product..:
Cloud based PWM (for LDD drivers)
controller..



BUT def. keep up the project..
WIFI for adruino seems overly problematic...........

Is is space or just poor hardware or problems coding (just curious)??

One would think it is easy, considering the widespread use of the tech..
__________________
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Harry Muscle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
That's a good idea with using the NTP server. I would use both a time server and an RTC. Network connection can go down on some days although rarely but it does happen. The time server can correct the RTC on daylight savings.
Unfortunately the Uno doesn't have enough ROM space for the RTC library in addition to all the existing code.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
Unfortunately the Uno doesn't have enough ROM space for the RTC library in addition to all the existing code.

Thanks,
Harry
Can you test how this would work if the network goes down for a day? Maybe it won't be an issue
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Harry Muscle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Can you test how this would work if the network goes down for a day? Maybe it won't be an issue
Arduino keeps time internally. It probably won't be super accurate over a long time but over a day it should be fine. One advantage of using an RTC is that it keeps the time even when the device power gets disconnected. My device will simply get the time from the server on power up.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,191
Default

I'll test how bad the time drift when I have the chance. I'm playing with a network arduino controller too with an RTC. I wonder if I can just get rid of the RTC.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Harry Muscle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Default

This controller is now feature complete ... it's officially graduating from Alpha stage to Beta stage. I have done isolated testing during development, but this hasn't yet been tested on an actual Arduino along with the HTML/CSS/JS interacting with it. It's probably going to be a few weeks before I get my Arduino setup and ready to test, so if anyone feels like helping out and trying this code feel free to do so. I'm open to all comments, suggestions, questions, etc.

Here are screenshots of what the user interface looks like:

Main page:



Memory Schedule page:



Timer Schedule page:



Color Values page:



Reboot page:



Reset page:



About page:



Thanks,
Harry

P.S. The pages are fully responsive and adjust on mobile devices.

P.P.S. Please ignore some of the bogus test values in the screenshots.
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
robsworld78
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 815
Default

Very nice!
robsworld78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012