'Stumptown' 90cm ADA (Updates page 5 8-24-07) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #31
Nightshop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Nightshop

Indeed, powersand is a PITA when your uprooting some real rooty plants, having to push down the large white granels back to the bottum of the substrate bed, but hey, apparently it's very beneficial to the over-all aquarium, plus those folks at aquaforest sure know how to sell a product

Last edited by Nightshop; 12-07-2006 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: elaboration
Nightshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #32
SPL-311
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr View Post
Love the MH light too, that's a dream of mine. Where did you get the e-ballast from?
The e-ballast came with the Aquamedic 150w HQI metal halide system. The catalog (dr. Fosters & Smith) listed a magnetic ballast, but the unit shipped with an electronic one instead. Lucky me! I'd recommend the system to anyone looking for a good low cost system - they're on sale for $215 right now.

So I'm having some cryp melt in the tank right now. The leaves on the dwarf Sag also appear to be thinning down a bit too - is there a way to compensate for this in my dosing? Or is it just a standard new tank symptom and I just have to wait it out? Aside from the cryps, everything else seems fine - the stem plants are even putting out some new leaves!
SPL-311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #33
jeffboyarrdee
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

water change alot! like 2 or 3 times a week, for a couple weeks
that should help with the melting, and dont mess with the crpts rizomes or hte roots, they will shoot up new leaves, just wait it out.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #34
ianmoede
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Just a small layout suggestion. The stump in the front left of the tank looks very abrupt, almost unnatural. I think that if it was dressed up in some way (moss, anubias, fern) that it wouldn't look quite so stark. Merely a suggestion, I love the rest of it though. Keep up the documentation!
ianmoede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #35
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmoede View Post
Just a small layout suggestion. The stump in the front left of the tank looks very abrupt, almost unnatural. I think that if it was dressed up in some way (moss, anubias, fern) that it wouldn't look quite so stark. Merely a suggestion, I love the rest of it though. Keep up the documentation!
I've actually had this same suggestion from a few sources, so I removed that piece of driftwood last night. I was a little sad to do it, that was probably my favorite piece in the tank, but the old design rule 'the first thing that catches your eye is the first thing you should remove' applied here. I think the aquascape is much more balanced now.

My cryptocorines have almost all completely melted away by now. I'm not sure what to do about this problem - I've been changing 30% of the tank's water daily without any result.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #36
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

have you moved them around? I know when I disturb mine, they go through a temporary meltdown, but if I leave them alone, they comeback...

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
fresh_lynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:26 AM   #37
trfjason
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just replace the substrate in my 31G and had to take out the crypt during that change, and plant it back in, it has been 2 weeks and no meltdown.

To prevent meltdown, you should try to cut most of the roots when you move it.
trfjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #38
Y0uH0
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd say try to leave it alone as much as you can. Everytime i move mine or even cut away the damaged leaves,the whole plants just melts away. I found that the best way is just to leave the plant to survive on it's own..Let everything go the natural way=)

I really envy my fishes and plants,they seem to be getting so much more attention than me. Shouldn't i start pampering myself a little more?

100 gal planted tank journal
Y0uH0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #39
timr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0 View Post
I'd say try to leave it alone as much as you can. Everytime i move mine or even cut away the damaged leaves,the whole plants just melts away. I found that the best way is just to leave the plant to survive on it's own..Let everything go the natural way=)
This is also my suggestion. Plus.....Are you doing ferts yet? In my experience I've noticed that trace helps keep crypts and sags healthy.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #40
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

That MH light that you have....do you get good coverage with it? I was thinking of getting a tank that size but I have read that MH's only cover about 2x2 foot space. Also did you build the hanging part of it?
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #41
SPL-311
Algae Grower

I'm doing a full set of EI ferts, and I trimmed the roots of the cryps down pretty short before I replanted them. Oh well, they're completely melted away now, I guess I just have to wait for them to resprout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
That MH light that you have....do you get good coverage with it? I was thinking of getting a tank that size but I have read that MH's only cover about 2x2 foot space. Also did you build the hanging part of it?
I've found the light coverage to be just fine with a single 150w MH over a 3' x 1.5' tank. I did build the light stand myself, and the MH bulb is positioned 12" above the water surface.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #42
SPL-311
Algae Grower

I finished up the doors this weekend, here's a photo of the finished product:

I also made a neat little tool holder for inside the right door. I plan to make a tray to keep my ferts for the left door. Anyone know where I can get ADA style pump bottles without shelling out the $20 each for actual ADA ferts?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #43
Finch_man
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/94%)

Look Great!! Could you tell me how you built your stand?
Finch_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #44
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Sure!

It's basically an open fronted box made out of 1" plywood. The trim piece above the doors is bolted to the front of the box, and the doors are mounted onto 120 degree flush mount hinges. Then I used bondo to fill the joint gaps, then 3 coats of primer, sanding, color paint, sanding, and finally clear coat. I guess I'm not very good at explaining the structure in words, but basically I just copied an ADA stand. If you'd like to build one I could take measurements and draw up a set of plans.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #45
timr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I don't know what the ADA bottles look like, but there is a beauty supply store here that sells all kinds of travel bottles. Basically empty bottles that you can put shampoo and whatever in when you travel so you don't have to buy travel size everything. btw, nice job on the stand!