Need plant advice for 2.5 gal, mod-high light, 8.2 ph 81F betta tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
The_Planted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

mabey some val. or micro swords
The_Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
The_Planted
Algae Grower

and most times with a planted tank co2 is a must if you want it to flourish and look nice. you could do a liquid co2. it's actually pretty cheap, and a good altenitave
The_Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions! It is so frustrating to try to research these sorts of things online. Different sites often contradict each other on what light/temps/ph a plant prefers. One site even contradicted itself, having a plant listed as 8" and then going on to talk about it being 24" in the description. It looks like a lot of the Echinodorus/Swords, Nymphae/Lotus, and Hygrophila plants might be worth a try. I'd like at least one large leafed plant in each tank since the bettas love snuggling up to the large leaves. I did not know you could get liquid CO2. I know I should use CO2 to have my tank top notch, but with multiple hobbies and two needy kiddos I can only invest so much time/money in each one. I did have a lot of fun making the tank stands. Keep in mind that this is all on the counter of our house's only bathroom, so everything has to fit either into the hood, or the small space under the tank.

I am planning on switching out the substrate as I don't like the look of the rocks, but still not sure what to go with. Like I said, I'd only like to have potted plants so I can easily move things around and clean. I liked the sand, but my improvised air tubing vac would suck it up, so I need to find a happy medium that I can vacuum with air tubing, that isn't as huge as the rocks since food and yuck settles between them and goes to the bottom of the tank.
Scifisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

Maybe try with different water? I'm no expert, but I don't think water softened by the water softener helps plants. I'm on a well, with a softener, and use RO without any issues. What is the salt content of the water?
The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
Maybe try with different water? I'm no expert, but I don't think water softened by the water softener helps plants. I'm on a well, with a softener, and use RO without any issues. What is the salt content of the water?
We drink our water though, and it is not salty. I think it stays contained in the softener itself.

Googled it and found the following in some FAQ:

Can salt from softening installations enter drinking water?

Salt does not have the opportunity to enter drinking water through softening installations.
The only purpose of salt in a water softener is to regenerate the resin beads that take the hardness out of water.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

What about cutting the light by adding floaters like dwarf water lettuce, and growing out some plants that will wrap over the top of the water, like vals?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
What about cutting the light by adding floaters like dwarf water lettuce, and growing out some plants that will wrap over the top of the water, like vals?
I had duckweed but they got stuck on my sponge filter and crudded up everything. I will see if I can find a long plant for each tank. You know I've already given myself the answer on the light situation. I will take more of the black electrical tape and cover up every third white LED and see what that does for the situation. I cover most of the sticky part of the tape with masking tape so it won't muck up my light if I have to remove it. I still need to get more plants, but at least the light won't be overwhelmingly bright. I'll go out tomorrow and post some updated photos once everything is in place.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #23
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

Try getting a idea of some plants that are high light, then go to the store and buy some. You wont know if you don't try
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifisarah View Post
We drink our water though, and it is not salty. I think it stays contained in the softener itself.

Salt does not have the opportunity to enter drinking water through softening installations.
The only purpose of salt in a water softener is to regenerate the resin beads that take the hardness out of water.
I did a bit of browsing and found this: http://www.gardenguides.com/103656-e...er-plants.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=116145

Also, unless you are running potassium in your softner ($$$) you are increasing the sodium content in the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_softening

Cheers
The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #25
ckraft
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifisarah View Post

Salt doesn't come through, but sodium does. Your softener is removing calcium and magnesium, which plants like, replacing it with sodium, which plants don't like. Low mineral water would be better for the betta, but the water softener doesn't do that, it just changes what minerals you have in the water. Can you get your water before it goes through the softener?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #26
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i think hairgrass and dwarf salvinia would work out
scotty b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

Grrrr, I really like having the tanks right next to the bathroom sink since it makes water changes a breeze. To get unsoftened water, I would have to get it from the spigot on our back deck, which freezes up in the winter usually. I guess if I do smaller water changes like one gallon at a time, it would not be so bad though. I could just keep leftover milk jugs, fill them with outside water and put them in the house to warm up to room temp (72). I probably would not need to add the Equilibrium to the tank, at any rate. I will bring some of my water in with me and have them test it for sodium, if they can do that at the LFS.

Getting plants today, and also trying to find a substrate I like better. What would be the best thing to buy for putting in the little pots for the plants? I see there is Eco Complete, Fluval Stratum, and Seachem Fluorite. Is one of those better than the others?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could also buy those big jugs of water the ones that dispense water a the dentist, I don't know if you can but by me Walmart sells them.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could even use bottle water though these alternatives can be more expensive.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
sugarcube
Algae Grower

I have a 2.5 gallon too, get some cabomba, hornwort, guppy grass, dwarf hydro and wisteria. All the plants are rapid growers under high light and will help reduce the algae by using up the nutrients.

I suggest you do small regular dosing of excel, I do 3-4 drops a day and I find it helps the plants more and reduce algae then doing big weekly dosing. I think a big dose of excel might put too much nutrients in the water and the plants can't use it up, if you do small daily doses, its just enough for the plants to use and nothing left over for algae.

good luck! you tank looks really cool!