55/40B Goldfish/ACF combined tank system journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

55/40B Goldfish/ACF combined tank system journal

I started this project a couple months ago and finally finished everything in the last few weeks. I originally posted about this on the DIY forum as I was looking to make the stands, lights, etc... and run the system as connected tanks with a sump.

So, it's all running now, let's make a journal!

Stands are DIY with treated wood and oak plywood. The plywood shell is stained Black Cherry with the doors stained Driftwood. Finished with a water based polyurethane. I still have some minor finishing touches to do on the stand, painting wise, but otherwise they're done.

There is one 48x18x28 and one 36x18x28 stand.

The lights are DIY as well, i purchased sockets, plugs and wires from a handcrafted vintage store on "e_b_aa_y" and wired everything up. The lighting stands are made with 1/2" galvanized steel pipe with the lighting cords threading through the pipe to hide everything.

Lights are CFL at 42w each 6500K.

Filtration is accomplished with a 29 gallon sump. The water flows as such:

sump ->55 -> (via overflow 1.5" pipe) 40-> (via overflow 1.5" pipe) sump

The pump is a Reeflo Blowhole 1100. It's adjustable to three settings with the following as the flow rates:

I have it set at the second setting with a slight bleeding of the flow back into the sump to keep flow in check. The head height is less than 36" is with a T flowing into the DT and the sump, controlled via ball valves.

Hard to estimate the exact GPH but I am guessing 700-800gph based off charts, head height and the difference in overflow performance.

The 55 is set up as:
- 3 CFL lights
- 5 Goldfish (Ryukin, Oranda, 2 comets, and a telescope)
- 3 Skunk cories
- 1 clown loach to feed off my huge MTS population (sadly, I had 3 but two died)
- There are a few large Crypts (wendtii (green and bronze, and another variety) in this tank that I moved from a previous tank and a lace java fern.

The 40 is set up as:
- 2 CFL lights
- 3 African clawed frogs plus their feeders, and a ton of MTS
- The flora consists of some wendtii bronze crypts, some parva, broad leaf dwarf sag, a radica sword, two rosette swords and some water sprite.

Both tanks need some growing in, everything was taken down and re-planted or freshly planted. I'm dosing excel and will be getting into more fertilization soon.

Here's some pics of the system:

The whole deal:

The 55:

The 40:

Some plumbing and some pics:

Sump:

Connection from 55 to 40:

Overflow to sump:

Pump to tank connections:

Last edited by le0p; 07-23-2013 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: update
le0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
le0p
Planted Member

My goldfish inhabitants:

[img=http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o780/l30p/fish5_zps22f88071.jpg[/img]

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
FungusTrooper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Those are some awesome goldfish.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
le0p
Planted Member

Update!

I upgraded the overflow from tank to tank. Now running dual overflows tank to tank and have both overflows draining to the sump. I turned the pump to max and it's hard to say for sure but I'm guessing the flow is now little less than 1100 gph, based on head pressure.

here's a pic of the new set up:

Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do you keep your african clawed frog from jumping out? lol
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
le0p
Planted Member

Right now, I have a border of acrylic around the top of the tank but they can still get out if motivated. They usually jump at night so I put a top on after the lights go out. However. I'm planning a new strategy.

They climb out by working the corners, they get their little paws up there and climb right out. I'm going to make an acrylic wall angled towards the tank, I've been dealing with these escape artists for almost two years now. I think this should work.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
Right now, I have a border of acrylic around the top of the tank but they can still get out if motivated. They usually jump at night so I put a top on after the lights go out. However. I'm planning a new strategy.

They climb out by working the corners, they get their little paws up there and climb right out. I'm going to make an acrylic wall angled towards the tank, I've been dealing with these escape artists for almost two years now. I think this should work.
I see. Yeah I have 4 ACF myself and they are just all too eager to leave the tank no matter how happy they are in it. I keep a glass lid on the tank because they seem to figure everything else out and jump out unless you have a very tall tank and keep the water line 5" or so lower than usual.

Maybe some kind of mesh top would work?
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
le0p
Planted Member

Mesh tops definitely work, I had one for over a year. BUT, it also cuts down your light by like 40%. I had very high light on the tank at that time and nothing but crypts in the tank so the lower levels of light were ok. With the new setup I've only got medium-ish light in the tank, so I don't want to drop the levels any more.

I've actually watched these guys escape before so I have a good idea how they do it. I'm sure I can come up with something to stop them. As long as you can neutralize the corners and any equipment spots they can get out (like an overflow) they're stuck.

As an anecdote, I had a surinam toad for awhile. He was around 8" and could bust out an an uncovered tank in a few seconds. I covered the corners with window screen and blocked the equipment exits and he never got out again. Sadly, he died a few months ago. He never recovered from his first escape, he was so hard to find in the tank, I ended up finding him when he hopped next to the couch and my dog was obsessed with him. When I picked him up, he was in bad shape and probably out for hours. I kept him out of the main tank to de-stress, did everything I could read on helping him but he never came back.

When he was in better shape and I put him in the tank, he tried to escape again, which game me the chance to observe. It's amazing how these guys get out but they are so good.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

great setup
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote