Blyxa Japonica Troubles - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Blyxa Japonica Troubles

Hmm was thinking about this, the only variable from the OP and me is the light. He has medium to high, I have low to medium with floaters to help block too. All else is the same- Eco complete, CO2, some micro fert tabs and PP2-Pro dry ferts. Water is 82F, 6.4pH, i have rams from Matt too. Every week they all seem to want to split, it's getting ridiculous! They all stay green, no reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
gus6464
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I pulled some Blyxa out last week and it had very long and thick roots. It propagates by spreading runners just like any grass so how can it not be a root feeder?
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah it's weird, it acts like a grass but its actually a stem plant- a bunch of tiny narrow stems that bush when they multiply, versus sending out a long runner before popping up (which grasses like dwarf sag do).

Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I pulled some Blyxa out last week and it had very long and thick roots. It propagates by spreading runners just like any grass so how can it not be a root feeder?
It doesn't propagate by spreading runners. It's a stem plant and propagates like other stem plants by forming sideshoots. It can take nutrients in from the water column as easily as it can from the roots. I grow it in inert aquarium gravel with water column dosing and it does very well. As long as you have adequate nutrients, which can be done either through the water column or substrate or both, and adequate light it comes down to having enough CO2. It's a pretty undemanding plant if it's needs are met.

Sorry only pic I have of mine at the moment, more of a shrimp pic, which is growing healthily under 1x54 T5HO in my 75g.
[/URL]
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
Hmm was thinking about this, the only variable from the OP and me is the light. He has medium to high, I have low to medium with floaters to help block too. All else is the same- Eco complete, CO2, some micro fert tabs and PP2-Pro dry ferts. Water is 82F, 6.4pH, i have rams from Matt too. Every week they all seem to want to split, it's getting ridiculous! They all stay green, no reds.

Are you also using O+ tabs heavily like gus?

I love that these tanks are nearly the same. Its basically an experiment. It helps me eliminate the lighting and other differences and focus on what you both have the same as factors of your success.
Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
Tvadna
Planted Member

People have wrote contradicting things about nutrient uptake on this thread. Some say its a root feeder and some say it prefers water column.

I'm leaning towards the root feeder idea. Here is why:
I've tried this plant in every kind of inert plant substrate I can think of (except Amazonia). It has always had high light/co2 in these tanks and no ferts or root tabs. (I started the thread, check out the pics)

I've recently tried blyxa in a dirt tank (high light/co2) no ferts. It has finally started to show promise. Growth is steady and it is tinting toward red.

This is showing me that its a root feeder.. unless the nutrients are leaching into the water column but I don't know how to test for this.

Here is what Blyxa Japonica looks like in my dirt tank. Compare this to my original post and draw your own conclusions. (only difference is the substrate)

I have some EI dry ferts on order as well as some O+ root tabs. I have blyxa in two other tanks right now. The question is, do I want to root tab one and dry fert the other for the sake of science?
Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I put one api root tab under there, just has micros I think. I did buy 0+ caps but haven't needed to put any under the blyxa yet.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #38
Jester946
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have gone full circle with this plant.....

The small stems I was getting from my LFS were dying and melting quickly, with no future.

I obtained 1 MASSIVE bunch of stems from my local plant club, and planted, and it's done AMAZING. Pearling like crazy every day, and well, not melting. I termed this as my last go-around with this plant, and I have been happy with it. EI dosing, Amazonia, and high light w/ co2.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.