Blyxa Japonica Troubles
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Blyxa Japonica Troubles

Blyxa Japonica is one of my favorite looking plants (at least is everyone elses tank). I can't seem to get it to take off in any of my tanks. I have tried it in 3 different tanks and at its best for me, it has shrunk to an inch or two and has turned mostly a redish brown. I have medium and some very high light and co2 in the tanks. I have tried it in flourite, flourite black and eco complete. I dose occasionally with flourish comprehensive and iron.

Can anyone help me with what I may doing wrong?
Or feel free with the basics on what this plant needs to thrive... Much appreciated in advance.

Here are two pictures from two different tanks.

Tvadna is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

First picture looks like algae had taken over. How can you have high light and co2 without ferts and not run into algae problems? Flourish comprehensive is only micronutrients BTW.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

+1
This one is simple: feed them.
Read stickies in the fertilization part if the forum for fertilization overview. You can get complete fertilizers pretty cheap from the forum members.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well now explain this. I cannot get it (blyxa japonica) to grow either and I dose EI, have high light, and pressurized CO2. Other things like Rotala rotundifolia do not do too well either while things like Blyxa aubertii "Kimberley", water sprite, and amazon swords I have to trim weekly (if not more frequent). My L. Atlantis & L. Aromatica took a long time to acclimate but is doing well now. I have the the japonica where it's not shadowed my taller plants and I've even tried in shadowed. I've also tried in the substrate, floating, and even tied to taller stem plants and Nothing works!

Tank parameters:
pH = 6.3-6.5 (well water is 7.0 & tank was 7.5-7.8 before CO2 injection began) dH =4 or about 72ppm as CaCO3 GH =71ppm as CaCO3 and same as 4dH KH = 5-7ppm Phosphorus = ~7-8ppm after one week Nitrates = ~40ppm after one week avg temp = 75-80F

substrate:
Eco-Complete & Flourite 3-4" deep laterite here & there w/ CariSea Instant Aquarium gravel (Peace River) w/ some river pebbles on top in certain areas w/ aquafertz trace & iron root pellets
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Lucubration
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Could it be allelopathy with some of your more successful plants.
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucubration View Post
Could it be allelopathy with some of your more successful plants.
Interesting. This is a term discussed in farming and agriculture, haven't seen it used before in planted tanks. Does it apply?

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Lucubration
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I actually first read about it in Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. I don't know that I have any first-hand experience with allelopathy, but it seems like a plausible explanation for why some plants just don't thrive in certain tanks.
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
OVT
Carpe Diem

@jfmyson: a picture of your Blyxa?
What happens?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It'll be tomorrow or Sunday before I can get pics and uploaded. Basically looks similar to crypt melt. The bright vibrant green dissipates and turns brown, the leaves fall off then there's only one maybe two leaves per stem/pod, then the stem/pod begins to turn dark and melt. Once in a while a very tiny new leaf will show up for a while then never grows.

Maybe I have an inhabitant that likes to eat it and I just never seen them doing such ?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Tvadna
Planted Member

Algae is not the issue with my Blyxa Japonica.
Is this plant a heavy water column feeder or a big root feeder? I took a closer look and some of the leaves are taking on a redish tinge and there are a few leaves that are a distinct red. Could this be a sign up a nutrient deficiency? If so, what is lacking?

Also, I forgot to mention that my tanks are all RO water. Not sure if this matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
First picture looks like algae had taken over. How can you have high light and co2 without ferts and not run into algae problems? Flourish comprehensive is only micronutrients BTW.

Last edited by Tvadna; 07-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Added RO water
Tvadna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
Well now explain this. I cannot get it (blyxa japonica) to grow either and I dose EI, have high light, and pressurized CO2. Other things like Rotala rotundifolia do not do too well either while things like Blyxa aubertii "Kimberley", water sprite, and amazon swords I have to trim weekly (if not more frequent). My L. Atlantis & L. Aromatica took a long time to acclimate but is doing well now. I have the the japonica where it's not shadowed my taller plants and I've even tried in shadowed. I've also tried in the substrate, floating, and even tied to taller stem plants and Nothing works!

Tank parameters:
pH = 6.3-6.5 (well water is 7.0 & tank was 7.5-7.8 before CO2 injection began) dH =4 or about 72ppm as CaCO3 GH =71ppm as CaCO3 and same as 4dH KH = 5-7ppm Phosphorus = ~7-8ppm after one week Nitrates = ~40ppm after one week avg temp = 75-80F

substrate:
Eco-Complete & Flourite 3-4" deep laterite here & there w/ CariSea Instant Aquarium gravel (Peace River) w/ some river pebbles on top in certain areas w/ aquafertz trace & iron root pellets

What is the color of your co2 drop checker?

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Always yellow. I clean it out and add fresh 4dKH soln & indicator every week or so. I experimented last night. My tank pH stabilized at 7.2 w/o CO2. I have my pH controller set to 6.3 and it's calibrated every couple weeks & is never off by more than 0.1 units. In my tank I've seen mortalities at pH 6.1-6.2 but never seen fish grasping for air. So, I think my CO2 is max'd out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
OVT
Carpe Diem

Redish tint is normal and is the result of high light.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

if your leafs are red, that is a good thing. Brown would be it being taken over by diatoms but it turns red under intense light.

honestly, I think just feed it, put some root tabs under it. The only other thing I can think of, and I don't know enough about to comment....is maybe it does better in certain gh, kh, and hardness of waters.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

Blyxa is a heavy rooter so dosing the water column will only do so much. All of the substrates you have mentioned don't have much nutrient content. You got to add some root ferts. Properly fed and high light it will want to take over the tank.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote