Club in Western WA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Washington

Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Braxx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Club in Western WA

Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to the hobby myself and was hoping to find a club or something that operates here in western WA. I am personally in Tacoma buy am willing to travel.

Let me know!

-Braxx
Braxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Hi Braxx,

You are definitely in luck, the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is just up the road in Seattle. Our club is filled with 250+ fish and plant enthusiasts. We meet on the second Tuesday of every month from September through June.

Coming up in September we have invited Ian Fuller, the renowned Corydoras breeder from the UK to come an speak to our members; you are welcome to attend as a guest. If you have any questions just ask, if you would like to know which local fish stores have the best selection of plants or if you are looking for something unusual I can probably steer you in the right direction.

-Roy

20 gallon; no CO2; H. lancea; L. sp 'Red''; L. repens X arcuata; H. 'Vesuvius'; + others

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Serygo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes please to the advice on the LFS round here. I went to three stores today, found absolutely nothing I needed. Im in Seattle proper.
Went to West Seattle n DT. Even went to a couple nusery/greenhouses.
Serygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Serygo,

You are certainly welcome to attend our GSAS meeting in September as a guest as well!

There are several good stores in the Seattle area for quality plants. I like the following:

The Fish Store on Roosevelt in Seattle
Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds
Denny's Pet World in Kirkland
Sierra Fish and Pets in Renton
A Place for Pets in Burien

If you are looking for unusual and rare plant species The Fish Store, Aquarium Co-op, and Denny's all regularly purchase plants from our GSAS 'Planthead' members so they are likely to have species you won't find at stores that just purchase plants from the plant farms in Florida.

Also, at the end of most of our GSAS meetings we have a monthly auction where members bring in their 'extra' fish, plants, and equipment; and you can usually find some excellent plants offered and some go for bargain prices.

-Roy

Old 07-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Braxx
Algae Grower

I saw something about GSAS but it seems so intimidating to get into/ attend! Per your recommendation I believe you can count on seeing me for that presentation!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Braxx,

It's not at all formal or intimidating, just a group of friendly folks that get together once a month to enjoy their hobby. Anyone is welcome to join and $15 gets a 1 yr individual membership and $20 a family membership. We have 11 sponsor stores that give our members a 10% - 20% discount when they present their GSAS membership card at the time of purchase....B&I Pet Center in Tacoma is a sponsor store as were all of the stores I listed above. We have 10 meetings a year including a BIG plant auction in November, our General Auction (all day on a Saturday), and a Holiday meeting/party. We have nationally as well as internationally known speakers including Tom Barr, Gary Lange, Ad Koenings, Oliver Lucanus, Chuck Rambo, Karen Randall, and many more than I can name here. If you are unable to attend a meeting, and the speaker gives us permission, we do a Blu-ray videotape of the presentation and make it available to our members. I assure you if you are into fish and planted aquariums it is the best $15 you will ever spend.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 07-19-2013 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 07-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Braxx
Algae Grower

I think you may have just earned a member! Thank you so much for the information!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Sonvar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is there anything outside the Seattle metro area. Its kind of hard for me to get into the city, especially on a weekday
Sonvar is offline   Reply With Quote