ADA 60cm Volcaniscape - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
the_noobinator
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator

that driftwood piece(s) is nice.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #17
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2

Thanks everyone. I did get lucky with that piece of Manzanita, it's not like any other piece I've ever seen. It has really cool detail when you see it up close. Once the tank grows out I'll have to try to lure someone with a good camera over.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #18
SPL-311
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

That looks awsome Criag! Really good work.

What's the story with the Aquaforest stands? Are they more affordable than the ADA equivelant? I'm finishing the build on my 90cm ADA copy stand using reclaimed wood, and after paint, bondo, and hardware it's still costing me close to $100 (and many many hours of hard work).

One other question, any reason you inverted the Hydor heater and attatched it to the intake side of your filter? I've read in their directions to always put it on the outflow end. Looking forward to that HC filling in!
SPL-311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #19
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL-311 View Post
That looks awsome Criag! Really good work.

What's the story with the Aquaforest stands? Are they more affordable than the ADA equivelant? I'm finishing the build on my 90cm ADA copy stand using reclaimed wood, and after paint, bondo, and hardware it's still costing me close to $100 (and many many hours of hard work).

One other question, any reason you inverted the Hydor heater and attatched it to the intake side of your filter? I've read in their directions to always put it on the outflow end. Looking forward to that HC filling in!
The Aqua Forest stands are a lot less than actual ADA, and are basically the same thing. I could have built one, but at the time I had everything ready to go so I was in a hurry.

As far as the upside down Hydor. I read the directions and my take is that they are adamant about the flow going in the arrow's direction, but really only suggest that it be used on the outflow. I did it just so that it would fit in the stand without using a lot of extra tubing and adding more head/lowering filter output. It has been working this way for over 2 months with no problems. Plus... I like to live on the edge...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
SPL-311
Algae Grower

good stuff.

Could you do me a quick favor and measure the hight of your Aquaforest stand? I'm already too far along with mine to change, but I copied the ADA spec of 70cm tall. However, the stand they're using at Aquaforest for their 90x45cm tank measures out at 83.5cm tall. I'm wondering if that stand is intentionally taller to account for walking traffic?

just curious.
SPL-311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #21
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL-311 View Post
good stuff.

Could you do me a quick favor and measure the hight of your Aquaforest stand? I'm already too far along with mine to change, but I copied the ADA spec of 70cm tall. However, the stand they're using at Aquaforest for their 90x45cm tank measures out at 83.5cm tall. I'm wondering if that stand is intentionally taller to account for walking traffic?

just curious.
I didn't see this yesterday. I can measure it tonight, but I'm pretty sure that it's 30 or 31 inches which is ~76-79cm.

I think that 70cm would be fine.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #22
HybridS130
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to HybridS130

Incredible tank!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #23
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Very nice! I like it a lot. Can't wait to see it grow.
wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 AM   #24
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

Craig,
Do you have any close up pictures of the stand? I'm going to be in SF in December and was wondering what the quality was like. Do you like the stand? I know ADG is making their own now, and was wondering how the different stands compare. Do you mind telling us how much they run?
Thanks..
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #25
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

really nice set up!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:43 AM   #26
Nightshop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Nightshop

I'm also curious about this stand, as I'm making a trip up to Aqua Forest in the distant future, care to give us some details regarding the process of buying a custom DIY stand from them? Will they make them to fit any size aquarium within reason?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:51 AM   #27
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshop View Post
I'm also curious about this stand, as I'm making a trip up to Aqua Forest in the distant future, care to give us some details regarding the process of buying a custom DIY stand from them? Will they make them to fit any size aquarium within reason?
I'm fairly certain that these custom stands that AF sells are made for ADA tanks specifically. But I'm also fairly certain that if you want a stand made for a different size tank- the AF guys would be very accommodating.

Ive seen the stand they sell and Ive seen the real ADA stuff- IMO the stands they make look much cleaner and the doors are more flushed against the side and the front face of the stand. Ive made a stand for Ian and myself, with the time and labor spent on them- the AF stands are definitely worth the price.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #28
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
Craig,
Do you have any close up pictures of the stand? I'm going to be in SF in December and was wondering what the quality was like. Do you like the stand? I know ADG is making their own now, and was wondering how the different stands compare. Do you mind telling us how much they run?
Thanks..
The quality is awesome. Really, really nice finish. I don't know how good of pictures I can take with my cheapo digi, but I'll try tonight..
Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #29
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshop View Post
The process was very simple, I told them I wanted a 60cm stand like the ones they have in their store, but in black. About a week later, they had it finished, it was that simple. The thing about making it for any size is that they are really designed for a rimless tank, and they already know ADA sizes. I think they could do custom work though, you can give them a call, they are very cool people to deal with.

They did have two prices, one with finished back, and one with non-finished. I thought non-finished would still be a full back but just not laquered on the back, but it isn't a full back, there is a gap in the middle which you can see in the picture (I had a black sheet behind it). Not a big deal though, I am gonna put a black piece in there to cover the whole back. I am sure that if I was more specific with the order I would have gotten around that.

Last time I was there they had one exactly like mine for sale, I think that the black color is catching on now.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #30
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just took a quick picture, this is day 13.

The empty space behind the wood is where the L arcuata (wasn't) growing. I'm going to do the first trim tonight or tomorrow and make all the Rotala bunches thicker.