co2 impressiveness
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
RootedMind
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

co2 impressiveness

Hey I'm new here, but I've hovered around many of forums silently for a while. Anyhow, I have a 75gal heavily planted tank with 1.92wpg, 69.4 Lpw @ 6500K, but that was a recent raise in lighting so i also added a double 2L diy co2 w/a diy diffuser. I am just curious, on average, how long does it normally take for the co2 impressiveness in the plants start to show?
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

You should see pearling very quickly, and how fast plants react depends on the types of plants, as well as other nutrients/light. Stems plants should react within couple of days given good conditions. Other plants like pogostemon helferi or staurogyne may take a few days. However, DIY CO2 is hmm a bit slow for a 75gal, unless you do a chain of bottles ?

You can read more about CO2 and light in detail here:
http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-ab...and-light.aspx
Xiaozhuang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
RootedMind
Algae Grower

Thank you, I do have two 2L bottles hooked up. I will read that and thanks again for the info its exactly what i was looking for, but i haven't seen any pearling.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
RootedMind
Algae Grower

ok i have another ? to go along w/this to see if my thinking is even on the right track. I have read many times and Xiaozhuang says above that DIY co2 is not really good enough for a 75gal, which i'm not disputing, just to say that i have low light and mostly low light species ie; 2) Anubias species 2) cryptocoryne species and a java moss covered rock that covers most of the tank. Plus i have rotala rotundifolia(very pretty), bacopa caroliniana, and egeria candensis. So, my thought is with low light, these species and a 2x2L DIY co2 just to Add co2 is good right? I dont really need the full 30ppm do I?
RootedMind is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
D-Linquent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't have much experience with diy/yeast co2, but from what I have seen, I think that 2 x 2L bottles is not enough for a 75. I think I remember seeing one 2L per 10g as a rule of thumb. You might not see much effect with only 2...you might need somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or more.
D-Linquent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
RootedMind
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Linquent View Post
I don't have much experience with diy/yeast co2, but from what I have seen, I think that 2 x 2L bottles is not enough for a 75. I think I remember seeing one 2L per 10g as a rule of thumb. You might not see much effect with only 2...you might need somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or more.
Wow thats insane thats like my whole bag of sugar lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Linquent View Post
but what i was wondering is just adding some doesnt really help at all?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-18-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Any addition of CO2 will help, yes. The problem you're going to face is the very unstable CO2 levels in the tank due to the very large surface area outgassing what you put in.

How are you diffusing?
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
D-Linquent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootedMind View Post
but what i was wondering is just adding some doesnt really help at all?
haha. Yes, it is a lot. I will have to defer to the diy guys on this one. I'm just going from what I remember of my research of it.
D-Linquent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
RootedMind
Algae Grower

Thank you im very interested in anything you can teach me. Im using my own version of Dr. Jay's DIY vaccuum tube reactor

so am i to assume that maybe id be better off with no co2 until hopefully one day i can afford pressurized? and if so then should i lower my lighting again because all was well before now i have algae? although i did get 2 SAE

thank you for all of your help, im headed to greenleaf aquariums maybe he can advise me and sell me a drop checker lol

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-18-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
seandelevan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you get a pressurized system and do it right, you can notice the "impressiveness" in 24 hours.
seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

With DIY, you can achieve some really nice results, but with larger tanks, you will quickly outpace the cost of a decent bottle and regulator setup. I learned that lesson when I went from my 20L to the 55g that I have now. CO2 level fluctuations are the perfect way to get a healthy batch of BBA going.

If you do a dual bottle setup for DIY, I would only change out one bottle each week. Alternate the bottles to have a somewhat steady CO2 level in the tank.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
RootedMind
Algae Grower

i can't afford the pressurized system right now, but I do appreciate the info. As an update for anyone that cares, it has been 3 days since i started with one 2L and it is the 2nd day w/2x2L diy co2 and my version of Dr. Jay's diy reactor using a 1L soda bottle and a 90gph pacific hydrostar mini submersible fountian pump from Harbour Freight Tools($7). i cut the bottom off the bottle then cut slots out between the "legs" of the bottle using a soldering iron then put a hole in each leg, next i put in a sponge and slid the bottom back over the other part of the bottle. i took an old air stone and crushed it to use the stem, which i cleaned off and put a small piece of tubing on and put through the bottle near the neck and attached an airstone to it inside(of course before i put the bottom back on). the pump is connected with a 1/2" nylon elbow through the cap. so anyway, back to the update my plants are looking better and i am seeing some pearling like a bubble here a bubble there, but i dont think(am i wrong?) that i should expect much more than that with low light even if i up'd the co2. oh and i tried finding greenleaf and im not sure it has a walk-in store maybe its just online? maybe someone could help me out here. i did however, get a red sea drop checker i will momentarily be setting up and i'll post the results later.
Thanks in advance to anyone who cares and/or can help
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
RootedMind
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
With DIY, you can achieve some really nice results, but with larger tanks, you will quickly outpace the cost of a decent bottle and regulator setup. I learned that lesson when I went from my 20L to the 55g that I have now. CO2 level fluctuations are the perfect way to get a healthy batch of BBA going.

If you do a dual bottle setup for DIY, I would only change out one bottle each week. Alternate the bottles to have a somewhat steady CO2 level in the tank.
Thank you i will do that
Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

When i added more oxygen to the tank, the pearling was impressive, more o2 for you means more co2 gassing though. Definitely think about saving up for a pressurized system.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
RootedMind
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by denske View Post
When i added more oxygen to the tank, the pearling was impressive, more o2 for you means more co2 gassing though. Definitely think about saving up for a pressurized system.
ok thank you, i may be in luck my guy Andy at the flying fish(LFS) said he may have an old one he's gonna look for that he'll give me.

Tags
co2, lighting, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.