Newbie with Fertilizers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, I am new to that chapter. I hot myself some Flourish Excel. How should I start dosing my 55 gallon tank? I have low light and low light plants. Any suggestions, experiences?

And is there a specific time of a day where you would recommend to dose?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-17-2013 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be
Dina-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

According to the product website:

Quote:
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.
Note that Excel, for an aquarium as large as yours, can get expensive rather quickly.

In terms of timing, I believe actually remembering to dose is more important than the timing.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah i was reading the package. I just wasn't sure if i should start with a lower dose and slowly increase? Or just go with what they recommend? Or should i use a different type of fertilizer?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Jojoba
Algae Grower

I recently asked the planted guy at my LFS the same question a couple of days ago, he highly recommended dosing the full amounts (it's not likely to damage your plants if you over did it anyways). As far as timing goes, the only real the to keep in mind is to dose it before your photo period starts so it's available to for your plants.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question would be what would happen if i would only dose once a week? Would it not do anything at all? Still debating if the Excel is a good choice for my tank or if i should just get some root tabs...
Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina-Angel View Post
Yeah i was reading the package. I just wasn't sure if i should start with a lower dose and slowly increase? Or just go with what they recommend? Or should i use a different type of fertilizer?
You can start with the manufacturer's recommended dosage, unless you are keeping some particularly sensitive shrimp.

Quote:
Question would be what would happen if i would only dose once a week? Would it not do anything at all? Still debating if the Excel is a good choice for my tank or if i should just get some root tabs...
If you dose Excel only once a week, it will not be very effective, and will serve really no purpose.

Excel and root tabs serve two different functions; the former is a liquid CO2 alternative, while the latter provides micronutrients to root feeders.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

The half-life of Excel is 11-12 hours so you really should try dosing daily. Morning before your lights come on is the best time to dose. However I must warn you this gets tedious on a larger tank. I used to dose Excel on my 46 gallon tank but eventually couldn't keep up w/ the daily dosing.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
The half-life of Excel is 11-12 hours so you really should try dosing daily. Morning before your lights come on is the best time to dose. However I must warn you this gets tedious on a larger tank. I used to dose Excel on my 46 gallon tank but eventually couldn't keep up w/ the daily dosing.
That is what i noticed. Would the Flourish Excel Comprehensive be a better alternative then?

Or what other Liquid Fertilizer would you recommend if I don't want to go crazy with it and just add something maybe once or twice a week?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
That is what i noticed. Would the Flourish Excel Comprehensive be a better alternative then?

Or what other Liquid Fertilizer would you recommend if I don't want to go crazy with it and just add something maybe once or twice a week?
I use Flourish Comprehensive 2x/wk per directions in my 10g tank. It provides trace elements for the plants. Root tabs are the same thing, but used under the substrate for root uptake. I have no experience with Excel, but I've heard things like its active ingredient is used for sterilizing.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Quote:
If you dose Excel only once a week, it will not be very effective, and will serve really no purpose.
I disagree... it's still better than nothing. It won't make much difference true, but it may be the little bit that stops a plant from dying.

If you're looking for something basic to dose just once a week with you could try API's "Leaf Zone." I've been using it on my 90 gallon along with the liquid CO2, and although my plants aren't growing like crazy they are all healthy and lush. Keep in mind this is a VERY basic fert.
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

Yup. Excel is not a fertilizer.
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.