Cheap camera to capture full aqurium shots only...advice?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Cheap camera to capture full aqurium shots only...advice?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a camera in the sub $300 range to take pictures of my aquarium. In the $150 would be better, if possible. Right now I am using my phone only as my old school digital camera has a scratch on the lense. I have a newer one but it takes worse pictures than my phone. I can't justify spending more as I just have no need for a camera for any other reason. I just know that even if I had a DSLR, I would very rarely use it for anything but taking pictures of my tank.

I am not looking for something amazing and I don't need something that takes good macro photos. The main problem I have with point and shoots, even with manual settings is getting the colors right. Usually I find some weird setting on camera's that have 6000 different setting you would never use and experiment until you find the right one. I just need something better than my phone.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use to use my Fuiji FinePix, but know I just use my cell phone it take nice pictures.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I've had pretty good experience using several canon digital elph's. My last one was the SD 880, which ws chosen for its wider macro lense. I know selecting one of their thirty models available at the time felt like splitting hairs but I generally use these cameras for several years until they either die or stop working correctly. These generally fall into the sub $300 category so hope this helps. I'm sure there are far more to consider. Dpreview.com is a great resource for this sort of stuff. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
nate2005
Algae Grower

i used to sell cameras. ime canon's are almost always a good choice. check out their powershot or elph models. fuji is another solid brand even though their cameras sometimes feel cheap. website listed by acitydweller is a great site for reviews. keep in mind my experiences are from 7+ years ago. i currently use a canon elph or canon 50d.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
nate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Hi talontsiawd,

A few years ago I picked up the Canon SX110IS. I typically use the 'Manual' mode and adjust the ISO and shutter speed to get the best picture and the image stabilization is good now that I am not as young as I used to be!

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
thinBear
Planted Member

I will second camera with Manual mode, this could be a milestone to advance your skill too.

If photography is really not your taste, look for camera with good night scene results. Often a tank is not bright enough, especially with fast moving fish. A high ISO without too much grainy will be a plus.
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Its older, but still good. You can find the D3100 for around $300 refurbished if you look around also.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Here is one even cheaper. It will beat most any point and shoots for under $300.

And this one -

And

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html
I know these are all nikon. I don't know the low-end canon's as well, but they are just as good and can be had for almost as much.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote