Fishless, plantless cycle, How long does it normally take?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
tpl*co
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Fishless, plantless cycle, How long does it normally take?

I'm doing a fishless plantless cycle with clear ammonia. I've got one of those continuous monitors in the tank and I've seeded the tank with squeezings from sponges of my other tanks. It's been a couple of days and I still haven't seen a big raise in the nitrites and nitrates. How long does it normally take? (or is it like a watched pot doesn't boil?) I thought about maybe I added too much ammonia so I did a partial change and brought the ammonia down to around 0.6 ppm on the monitor and squeezed another sponge until the water was cloudy. I want to use the tank already! .

Tina
tpl*co is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
yoink
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
I want to use the tank already! .
You could change all the water and stuff it full of fast growing plants. No need to wait.
yoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

I remember it took my tank at least a week, maybe two.

I agree with yoink, and no more fishless cycling for me! Just add the fish slower than all at once, and have healthy plants, and you are fine! (seeding is always good, too).

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

I would wait a whole Month before adding any valuable fish or plants.

spypet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
JenThePlantGeek
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek

I did a project with a class I taught and had the guys graph out their cycle. This is one of the better ones:

I would say it was fully cycled on 3/3, so roughly 3 weeks. This was using a small 3 gallon hex and a betta. Seeding and increased levels of ammonia due to fishless cycle additives would speed it up I bet.
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
tpl*co
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Ack, so long! Oh well, I've waited this long...

Here I used 3/4 of the media from another canister and squeezings from sponge filters and it still may take weeks . I'm glad I was playing it safe and did the fishless cycle before adding the fish and plants instead of thinking that it had enough bacteria though. It's a shock to see the ammonia level not going down or the nitrite and nitrate levels going up as fast as I thought after all that. Goes to show you that even with filter media from another tank, a new tank may still need to cycle. I've seen posts from others that transfer equipment to another tank then add the fish immediately after and then wonder why their fish get sick a little after, could be another cycle started.

OK, I'll wait and try to be patient a little longer, DH wants fish in that tank though!

Tina
tpl*co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
RachPreach
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach

HI, i figured i would just ask on this thread instead of starting a new one. I have a 10 gallon that im trying to cycle with out fish or plants. Im going to use it to raise my baby angels in so its going to be bare bottom. I set it up saturday feb. 3rd and I put a cycled filter from my other 10 gallon tank in there. Today I just did a 20% water change and replaced the water with water from another cycled tank. How much longer before its safe to put my babies in there?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
JenThePlantGeek
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek

If your filter is already seeded you should be able to put them in there as soon as you set it up. The whole idea of the cycle is to grow nitrofying bacteria in the filter. Just double check your water params and look for 0 ammonia and 0 nitrIte.
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
RachPreach
Wannabe Guru

oh ok i didnt know that...well i guess ill put them in there...they have only been free swimming since last sat. though so i dont know if that is too soon or not.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
yoink
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachPreach View Post
HI, i figured i would just ask on this thread instead of starting a new one. I have a 10 gallon that im trying to cycle with out fish or plants. Im going to use it to raise my baby angels in so its going to be bare bottom. I set it up saturday feb. 3rd and I put a cycled filter from my other 10 gallon tank in there. Today I just did a 20% water change and replaced the water with water from another cycled tank. How much longer before its safe to put my babies in there?
If you had nothing in the tank, then a good portion of the bacteria will probably be dead. They need food(ammonia and nitrite) to survive just like fish and plants. Without anything producing ammonia, your tank will never cycle.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
RachPreach
Wannabe Guru

ok well i have some feeder fish i could put in there(endlers). I did check the ammonia and the level is elevated a bit. Would that be ok to put them in there?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
RachPreach
Wannabe Guru

i dont want to hurt the endlers though by burning their gills if there is any chance of that...
Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
yoink
Wannabe Guru

If there is ammonia you shouldn't have to add the fish. I'm not sure what a "safe" level of ammonia is to add fish.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #14
RachPreach
Wannabe Guru

ok so what are u suggesting I do then? Just wait until it drops?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #15
yoink
Wannabe Guru

I would wait until ammonia and nitrite are both zero, then proceed as planned. I would also wait for someone else to reply, I'm hardly an expert