Anabantoid Compatibility
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Synyster1337
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anabantoid Compatibility

Hi all, I've got a paradise fish in my tank that's about three inches long. He's a huge jerk, and I know how them and other anabantoids can be about aggression. I was wondering, could I add a couple of rams to my tank without having to worry about aggression?
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
TonyK
Planted Member

What size tank do you have? I would stay away from Rams. From what I've read Rams can stress easily and you don't want to do that to them. I had a 20 long with a Paradise and 8 bloodfin tetras. I didn't have any problems.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

No.

Paradise fish are cold water fish, and very aggressive about the whole tank. Keep him in a tank by himself.

Rams are warm water fish and actually not very aggressive as cichlids go, though there can be very aggressive individuals.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

'cold-water' is a misnomer. when i think cold-water, i imagine a fast-flowing mountain stream, or an underground body of water (like where the proteus - or 'covjeca ribica' in the local Croatian which translates into 'human fishy' - is from).
m. opercularis is from sunny pools of water, albeit not totally tropical ones. meaning it likes a VARIATION in temperature. they are from the koreas and china and such. not from thailand like b. splendens.
its temp range is corresponding to that. while tropical bettas and gouramis like temps of 78-84, much like new world cichlids; m. opercularis can be kept in water from 61-80, a wide range as one would expect from a more temperate creature.
but it is noted ( http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...s-opercularis/ ) that it exhibits best coloration at temps of 70-75, which is taken with other anabantoids to be the temp they are healthiest at. for example, i have seen plenty of pics of betta rescues where an ugly brownish-grey betta was taken from a small petco cup at 73F and while acclimating to a heated tank at 78F (still in the bag, and thus still swimming in NH3) start darkening to show the gorgeous color pattern of a black orchid.

so one species likes temps of 70-75, the other likes temps of about 80-85...
no go.

additionally m. opercularis likes neutral water (ph 6-8) thats moderately hard to hard (5 degrees or more is cited).
m. ramirezi likes water as acidic and soft as possible (i know a guy who loves em in the NJAGC, and keeps his breeding tank at almost no hardness at all, and a ph of 5.6 if i remember correctly).
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It depends on your fish. I have a single male GBR and a blue paradise in a 29 gallon for almost a year now. They get along fine, matter of fact I think they actually like each other. The paradise fish shows slight aggression toward my black molly and the GBR shows some aggression toward my 4 emerald cories around feeding time. I've never seen them show any aggression toward each other.

My tank is unheated in the summers, where temps range from 74-82 degrees F. In the winter I keep the heater set at 78F.
Paradise fish don't need cooler waters, but it increases their lifespan. There are some breeders that like to over winter them in unheated tanks/ponds.

Water is regular Chicago liquid rock with close to off the chart hardness.

Last edited by devilduck; 07-24-2013 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: corrections
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.