Water level above overflow box?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Water level above overflow box?

So I just set up my first sump system and because I am stupid, I make it as complicated as possible. The system is like this:

55 Gallon with single overflow (rater 600 gph) flows into 40 gallon with double overflow (rated 1200 but only one in use). This then flows to the 29 gallon sump and the return goes back to the 55.

The water in the 55 is stable but stays an inch or more over overflow edge, the overflow in the 40 works as expected. Everything is stable, been running for hours with no changes. I tested for power failure and it passed just fine.

I'm running a Reeflo Blowhole 1100 at the lowest level full out.

Is the overflow just under sized for the tank? Is it anything to worry about or just how it's stabilized?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i have a drilled tank and water level is 1'' above the bulkhead when running , but a havent used a over flow box so idk if there is a issue or not
scotty b is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

is the overflow water level high in the back or in the front weir?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
le0p
Planted Member

It's equal to the water level of the tank. I tried raising the overflow position but the water level rose with it, and it's right at the top so I put it back.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Are you sure you don't have a clogged sponge or anything obstructing the flow of water from the overflow to the sump like snails, kinks in the tubing, ball valves that are partially closed or fittings with a smaller inner diameter than the tubing?
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
le0p
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
Are you sure you don't have a clogged sponge or anything obstructing the flow of water from the overflow to the sump like snails, kinks in the tubing, ball valves that are partially closed or fittings with a smaller inner diameter than the tubing?
No snails in this tank yet, and there's no sponge in the overflow. There's a 1.5" durso pipe in the overflow which outputs into the 40 gallon via a 1" 90' (it's a 1" bulkhead). The only ball valve in the system is on the return line.

The only thing I can think of is that the output is submerged, so perhaps the siphon is trying to maintain an equal water level? That actually makes alot of sense now that I typed it out.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

take the durso out then see where the water level is
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
le0p
Planted Member

I can try that, my question is, does the weird water level cause a problem? If not, it doesn't bother me really, it's all stable.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Carlc1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The return pump looks pretty large. The overflow is rated at 600gph. If you are returning more then600 back to the tank it is going to keep a higher level. Do you have a ball valve anywhere after the pump? I would try closing that off a bit and see if the level lowers at all.

Carl
Carlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
le0p
Planted Member

It is a big pump, but I took head pressure and plumbing angles into consideration and figured if anything, it would have to be dialed back very little. Turns out, it can tun full throttle (on it's lowest speed that is).

Anyway, I took off the durso and the water level corrected itself. Weird to me at least. Can anyone explain why?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Carlc1
Algae Grower

What size holes do you have in the durso cap? On my 180 I used 1/2" holes with John Guest fittings. I ran tubing from the fittings into my stand and attached mini ball valves so I could adjust the air flow when salt creep started to build up.

Carl
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
le0p
Planted Member

They were drilled at 5/32 but they're slightly bigger because I dremeled them open a little to fit in those air control fittings. You know, the one with two holes and a twist cap. Which didn't work at all, actually. If I put the control on the overflow coming from the 55, nothing happens no matter how I adjust it, when I use it on the 40 overflow, the entire overflow drains, refills, and repeats.

I'm going to leave the durso off the overflow coming from the 55 since it's silent anyway and gives me control over the water level. If I take the durso off the other overflow, it gets too loud, but that one is working perfectly.

I have a feeling that I may have made it incorrectly. I used 1 1/2" pipe and it wouldn't fit so I made what I thought would be a good replacement. The water level in the overflow stayed about halfway into the pipe like a normal durso. Here's a diagram of it:
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Carlc1
Algae Grower

I don't remember the exact size pipe I used on mine but I know I needed a reducer going into the bulkhead.

Carl

Last edited by Carlc1; 07-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
le0p
Planted Member

Yeah, it's a 1" bulkhead so there's a reducer. I had read that using a larger pipe for the durso was recommended.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

the vent holes if too small don't decrease flow, they increase flow by allowing partial sipohns... i'd imagine the durso is too tall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.