270 gallon Low Tech Journal 29/05/06 'closing big mama down' :( *56k*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-29-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
nornicle
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to nornicle

270 gallon Low Tech Journal 29/05/06 'closing big mama down' :( *56k*

Hi Guys,

I've done a few planted tanks so far, (see www.angelfire.com/emo/closure/fish.html ) and am now stepping up to the world of big tanks, which I originally purchased because of a) i wanted to keep arowana and b) there is only space for one tank in the house, so I made it as big as possible :lol: )

*Addendum: The aim of this tank as opposed to the smaller tanks that I have had will be to have something that will take time to grow in.. being such a deep tank I do not want to be continously pruning. *

I have good working knowledge of aquaria, so it is a matter of getting the goods together and putting them in place.

The tank will pose problems however, its 270 gallons (6ftX2.5ftX2.5ft), I will probably be limited to medium to lower light plants due to it's incredible depth (it's hard for me as a 6ft guy to reach the bottom, so planting will be done with long long tools)

In the first photo is the goods I've gathered to start the tank:

Regulator, electronic ballasts (5 X 20 wt, 5 x 40 wt), Co2 tester, Sea Chem Flourish Iron (will have to get normal flourish, used to dose with PMDD), Tetra Initial Sticks (i can't find these anymore?!), Hydor automatic feeder (i'm lazy) and Aquarium Plant Paradise by Amano, for me to gain inspiration from.

The second photo is the tank, as it is now, with very little gravel and some of my mum's gold fish (who actually live in a tank outdoors)

Last edited by nornicle; 05-29-2006 at 11:06 AM..
nornicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, big tank .

From experience, anything less than two watts per gallon falls into the low-tech requirement category. By low-tech, I mean there's no need to dose CO2, ferts, etc. The only thing I ever added to my low-light tanks was fish food.

Of course, I only kept low to medium light plants, but it looks like that's already your plan. Also, judging by your previous tanks, it certainly looks like you already know your stuff . Good luck in any case!
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
nornicle
Planted Member

lol I don't really know my stuff, I just know how to build tanks from very little $$$ because I used to be a full time student, now that i'm earning some money I can actually afford not to do a half way job of everything!

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it :P

and this 6X2.5 is already daunting and scary, and i havent even bought plants yet!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Great tank.....

Cant wait to see it set up and planted...

While the WPG rule changes for real small tanks and really large tanks. I still think lighting is going to be an issue. The problem lies with the fact this tank is soooooo deeeep! You really need high intensity to get the light down that deep... I am not sure if NO flourecents will be enough... You might consider a PC or something stronger like MH.... Other than that, I am buying stock in seachem, cause you will need to buy flourite by the yard instead of the bag :shock:

Looks great
Jason
Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
nornicle
Planted Member

I aint going down the flourite path, im earning money but I don't own Seachem yet lol

I will probably use laterite (i am good friends and used to work for an aquarium part time, so I get things relatively cheaper)

I will use laterite most likely.

The foreground will be e tenellus + crypts so the light doesnt *really* need to punch that low, and any stem plants will be relatively low light loving (wisteria, hygrophila sp.) I will use lots of anubias and microsorium.

the co2 is mainly because it boosts growth sooo much, even in low light situations

Amano states that in his large tanks wattage is of a lesser concern, but co2 is still vital. (see his first book and one of the last few tanks, they are what i am striving for)

btw I'm new to 'high' tech co2, so what else do I need besides the tank and the regulator and a home made diffuser?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

nornicle,

Laterite should work great... Sounds good... Cant wait to see more pics as it comes together...

Jason
Old 12-29-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
nornicle
Planted Member

Current candidates for plants will be a mixture on the foreground and in the back ground some tall cryptes, vals.

There will probably be two 'feature' plants definitely including one red lotus tiger lily (beautiful :P) and one sword of some sort.

fish at the moment i'm undecided on, apart from SAE's, Otocinclus, a couple of peppermint catfish and some dwarf cichlids. I might add a school of 20-30 harlequin rasboras and maybe 20 or so scissor tails.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Get some Altums. Your tank is sure big enough. Are you getting any wood or rock for that beast?
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
nornicle
Planted Member

Here are some anubias gigantae and anubias afzelli I bought, I also bought some cryptocoryne becketii to see how it would look in my tank.

Here are some pics
Old 01-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think that's beckettii...more likely lutea or possibly wendtii.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
nornicle
Planted Member

i dunno i ordered it as becketii from the online retailer...

In other news, the plant tongs (70cm with scissors) are REALLY handy, 2.5' is REALLY deep considering I bought a 800mm high cabinet!) I am 6ft and its STILL a reach to even touch the bottom of the tank

Today my girlfriend and I went down the back of her property (we're in Australia) and went into the bush land to find rocks and wood, we got HEAPS of wood, will take photos when I drive it back to my place for cleaning.

Got large pebbly rocks too.

bought some electrical tape to do my wiring for my lights and some silicone to glue the wood to the rocks.

I don't think this plant will be fully 'ready' for at least a month!
Old 01-03-2004, 12:14 AM   #12
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Gawd Dang that's a big tank !

Dont add to much water flow to that thing... a drunken , wandering party guest may think its a hot tub and climb in it ! :lol: Sad but true, I have some friends that would do that... LOL
Thats a lot of real estate to plant, I am interested in watching this tank progress.

Be sure to check them rocks you collected for buffering abilities of your water... I think one snuck by me in my tank, the PH is rising ops:

Good luck and happy planting
Old 01-03-2004, 12:49 AM   #13
hypsophrys
Planted Member

Yeah, you might consider a "Beware of Piranha" sign. :-)
hypsophrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #14
nornicle
Planted Member

added wood to hot water in a pond out the back today, and poured lots of salt into the water....

I hope eucalypt wood is safe for fish
Old 01-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #15
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think so

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote