Project: 40Breeder, College Kid
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Cool

Project: 40Breeder, College Kid

As you can guess, this is my third tank, upgraded to a 40 breeder, with the goal in mind to be... AWESOME

Tank: Petco 40 breeder (1 gallon sale!)
Lighting: Current Nova USA 6 x 39w T5HO, 4 x 6,7k, 2x Actinic(Will change soon.
Filtration: Planning on Eheim 2217
Nutrients: 20lb co2 tank, Aquatek reg with 6 outlets; Dosing dry fertz
Substrate: Fluorite, and Azoo soil on top
Hardscape: Manzanita Branches, Seiryu Stones
Flora: HC, S. Repens, Blyxa, Probably some Erios, maybe some UG, Mini Pellia Moss. Some Rotalas possibly.
Fauna: CRS shrimp from my shrimp tank, adopted Rams, various tetras, don't really know yet.

My first tank was a 24g nano cube that I recently gave to my grandparents. My next tank is a 20g long CRS tank. This being my third tank, I learned plenty of my do's and don'ts. Moving back into my parents house after college isn't the easiest transition, but I figured having a sick ass tank can make things pretty tolerable. The CRS tank will be going under the tank which will open up my window. The rescape of that tank will come in time as well. I hope to make this tank my most anesthetically pleasing tank and really take my aquascaping to the next level. Definitely not going to be a plant hoarding tank as my cube was.

Current FTS: February 6, 2014: A whole bunch of stuff changed!

November 3, 2013 Tank FULLY planted!

October 31, 2013 Fish Added!

October 16, 2013! REPLANTED

10/13/2013, Took out dead HC, H2o2 bombded the tank.

10/1/13 HC melt :\

9/16/13

9/8/2013

Oh yeah, first time hanging a light. its a little off balance with the right side being a bit higher. Irritating but tolerable.

Thanks for taking the time to overlook my thread, I have high expectations for this tank, and I hope that all of you can come along for the ride with some great advice and criticism.

Last edited by Jonnywhoop; 02-07-2014 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language, for being too awesome :\
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

With a title like that.....this thing better be stellar!
wabisabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Not a bad view from the bed. Short trip for a night drink. Or for a nature's call

6 x t5ho Cool. That's what I got over my 40B and I'm sure you will have some fun with PAR @ ~160 @ substrate (Shh, I got a co2 reg if you need one).

I would skip the sand - it will settle at the bottom eventually and 2 types of substrate already should keep you entertained.

Been a while, friend: I'm still waiting on that promised bottle of red. I have a long memory and will pester you until you deliver. USPS would work too Oh, nvm, bring some of the stones with you also.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you are gettin a new light check out Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus. If I had know what I know now when I started the hobby I would have gotten it. they are on sale at Dr Foster's now. Notice the light has a wide spread. Thus could get 1 shorter than the tank to save money
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Looks great. The only thing that I would change would be to meticulously organize all the power wires in the first pic. I would try to hide as many of them as possible....would make it look much cleaner.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
With a title like that.....this thing better be stellar!
Usually everyone tends to flock the tank journals that start with "ADA blah blah." but yes, I have high expectations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Not a bad view from the bed. Short trip for a night drink. Or for a nature's call

6 x t5ho Cool. That's what I got over my 40B and I'm sure you will have some fun with PAR @ ~160 @ substrate (Shh, I got a co2 reg if you need one).

I would skip the sand - it will settle at the bottom eventually and 2 types of substrate already should keep you entertained.

Been a while, friend: I'm still waiting on that promised bottle of red. I have a long memory and will pester you until you deliver. USPS would work too Oh, nvm, bring some of the stones with you also.
I know I know Oleg. Don't think I forgot as well. USPS? I will hand deliver it! Not going to buy you a bottle a not be there

As for the substrate, The fluorite is actually going to be used as a filler for the back right to create a mound. I am going for a "stump" effect with roots cascading down the mound. The stump will be placed on the 1/3 right of the tank. the Sand would be an accent, all the way into the left, acting like a little ocean, with the HC, rocks, and other plants as a beach.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzS7uu5wEG...0/norbert1.jpg
Something like that, but more dynamic of course.

And a friendly tip to everyone about the Seiryu. Its greatly cheaper by 2-3$ at a bonsai shop then AFA or ADA. My stones were $1.50-2 depending on size. I buy bonsai supplies from her, which is why she is probably more lenient with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
If you are gettin a new light check out Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus. If I had know what I know now when I started the hobby I would have gotten it. they are on sale at Dr Foster's now. Notice the light has a wide spread. Thus could get 1 shorter than the tank to save money
Plus
The par for 18 inches would be only around 24. I feel that to achieve my high level lighting, I would definitely need T5's. LEDs seem too weak, unless I built my own kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Looks great. The only thing that I would change would be to meticulously organize all the power wires in the first pic. I would try to hide as many of them as possible....would make it look much cleaner.
In due time, I still need to move my 20g under the 40g. when that happens Ill organize everything a lot better and tuck it all away
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Should be ordering my eheim today... I'll be getting 2-3 bags of soil. depending on the whole sand situation. I like the look, to give the tank more contrast.... still debating if I can keep the soil and sand separate from each other. Will be switching out the water in the wood tub today too. Tannins galore.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
Debating if I can keep the soil and sand separate from each other.
That is done by using some type of material. I used metal flashing with rocks glued to it. Have seen plexiglass used which was bend with a torch.

At current's site cot par readings for all models
PAR@12" 36
PAR@18" 28
PAR@24" 21

This is how Hoppy measures par.

Last edited by Hilde; 07-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: added
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking of using some plastic to seperate it. Probably use rocks as the main. Or maybe all soil. Still indecisive.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

since you're in the San Francisco area daiso has these bamboo charcoal pieces are about maybe 6 in long. i used them in my tank to keep my hair grass from sending runners into my glosso. good thing about it is that its black so it blends into the substrate and its charcoal as well so it wont harm your water.
also be careful of algae on the tank by the window
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Talking

sorry I haven't updated! Had to do a lot of things! anyways here were the most recent updates.

-Eheim 2215 came in!
-New 6700k bulbs!
- 2 bags of Azoo soil!
-Egg crates and PVC to lay a foundation, used zipties to tie the wood down.
-painted the background black.
-moved the 20L underneath the tank!
-Aquascaped!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
bennyjam
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I really like that hardscape. Good stuff!
bennyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

HC AND REPENS!

now the waiting game.... begins...
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got a nice ball of fissiden moss today from Austin (inthepacific) THANKS DUDE!
I went ahead and rinsed the moss, then proceeded to blend it. After that I smudged and rubbed it all over the rocks and part of the wood to cover up the zip ties and to give the tank a more aged feel. This is my first time doing this method, so I hope it works!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

hey thanks for the mention and no problem. your tank looks awesome can't wait to see what it looks like once its grown out.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote