wob's 150g first planted tank (56k warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
wob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

wob's 150g first planted tank (56k warning)

Hi,
I have been working on a 150 72x24x20" tank for about 6mos now, and I finally have plants in it, so it's time to have a public viewing
I used to keep a couple of small aquariums as a kid/teen. Even back then I wanted to attempt a planted tank, but I had no idea how. When I left for college, I had to give up my tanks. Now that I have a house that I own, and a place to put a large tank in, I finally make the big leap.

There are many other pics on my flickr.com account:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wob/sets/269967/ including a timelapse build of the whole thing.

The tank is in my basement.

EI method is being used with fertilizer from gregwatson.com, only a bit of algae so far, and from what I've read that's not a surprise. CO2 is around 35-45ppm. Not sure what the algae is (thread and greenspot?) but I'm sure with good fertilizing and cleaning habits, it'll stabilize on it's own.

So far no fish. I wanted to crank up the CO2 for a while to get the plants going without worrying about gassing the critters. I think I have everything set about right now, so I'll be buying SAEs in the next week or two.

The following equipment is in use:
150g tenecor acyrlic tank with builtin back center overflow
6x55w DIY Compact Flourecent kit from ahsupply.com with DIY enclosures on 3 seperate timers (first set comes on at noon, second at 1:30pm, third at 3pm, first set goes off at 9pm, second at 10:30pm, third at midnight)
PentAir Aquatics (also rainbow lifeguard) double size mechanical and heater modules
Hydor THEO 400w glass heater
2" dia x ~24" long Rex Grigg style CO2 reactor
quiet one 3000 780gph @ 0' head pump
JBL CO2 regulator, solenoid, needlevalve, bubble counter assembly on a 12on/12off cycle with lighting, comes on a half hour before lights on, and off half hour before the lights go out.

I only know what some of the plants are by just looking at them. I certainly know the hygro since it's been by far the fastest grower!

Any suggestions are welcome!

And lastly, a huge thanks to plantedtank.net, and all it's members. I could not have pulled off an aquarium this large without the information found here, along with Rex Grigg's Guide to Planted Tanks and Tom Barr's barrreport.com web site. Thank you all!

Robert
wob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 AM   #2
matthewburk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I assume you meant 72 x 24 x 24 in which case that is much closer to 180 than 150 I think, becuase that is almost the same dimensions as a AGA 180.
matthewburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
wob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewburk
I assume you meant 72 x 24 x 24 in which case that is much closer to 180 than 150 I think, becuase that is almost the same dimensions as a AGA 180.
Actaully, it is a 150 gallon tank, I just can't type
The real dimensions are 72x24x20, and I have edited the above post to reflect this. The acrylic tank is built by tenecor, and they sell a tank with these dimensions.

Thanks for pointing my error out! All fixed now.

Robert
wob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Look's good Robert, Nice job!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)