Micro bubbles
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
DoobieNaq
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Micro bubbles

Are micro bubbles a bad thing in my tank, other than just being unsightly? I'm running an Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor on my return to diffuse my CO2 and when I turn up the CO2 enough to be adequate, I have tons of microbubbles. Is there anything else that I can do to stop this? BTW, I'm running it on a Rena Xp3 to my 75g.

Plants seem to be liking it; I'm just not loving the bubbles
DoobieNaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
thinBear
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

my guess... flow too strong that push too much bubble out? A fast test can be done by pinching the tube to slow the flow, then see if the bubbles can float against the flow?
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
thinBear
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Reactor:
Medium measures 3" x 2" x 8.75" high with a recommended flow rate of 95-264 gph.
Large measures 3" x 2" x 12.75" high with a recommended flow rate of 264-528 gph.

XP3: 350 g/h

I guess you are using medium size?
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
DoobieNaq
Algae Grower

I'm using the large reactor, but maybe since my XP3 is pretty old it has slowed its gph rate??? I cleaned the filter media to keep the flow rate up, but I still have bubbles. I'll check to see if the flow rate maybe too high, but I doubt it.

I know it's CO2 bubbles because it only happens when the CO2 is on, but can it be that the CO2 is reforming bubbles on the way out of the reactor? The reason I ask is because there are no bubbles making it down to the bottom of the reactor where the output hose sucks the water. Do you think it may help to attach the spray bar? Right now I have the single spout shooting into the middle of the tank.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
JasterMake
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieNaq View Post
I'm using the large reactor, but maybe since my XP3 is pretty old it has slowed its gph rate??? I cleaned the filter media to keep the flow rate up, but I still have bubbles. I'll check to see if the flow rate maybe too high, but I doubt it.

I know it's CO2 bubbles because it only happens when the CO2 is on, but can it be that the CO2 is reforming bubbles on the way out of the reactor? The reason I ask is because there are no bubbles making it down to the bottom of the reactor where the output hose sucks the water. Do you think it may help to attach the spray bar? Right now I have the single spout shooting into the middle of the tank.

I have wondered the same thing before.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I think you could check this by turning down your CO2 a bit. If you are out gassing when you reach the lower pressure of the aquarium vs. the higher pressure in the return line, then lowering the co2 concentration should prevent this from happening.

P.s. I'll be running into this problem soon.
JasterMake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
DoobieNaq
Algae Grower

I just added filter floss to the bottom of the reactor to impede the bubbles from making into the actual return water, but it only put a damper on some of the micro-bubbles, which has drastically reduce the amount visible bubbles in the tank. I figure I can either deal with the few bubbles that are still coming out, or I do a better job of stuffing the reactor exit with floss tomorrow. I think that will do the trick.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

the bubbles wont hurt a thing, some plants even seem to appreciate them
Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
DoobieNaq
Algae Grower

I don't mind the few bubbles that I have now, but there were so many before putting in the floss that they were actually distracting. I didn't think they would do any harm, but I was really concerned that I may have overlooked something and they were a result of that oversight.

Thanks for the confirmation
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

It sounds like the reactor is not large enough to handle the amount of CO2 you are adding for a given flow rate as everyone said. If slowing the flow is not an option, you can turn down the CO2 rate. If that's also not an option, I'm afraid you might need to change to a larger reactor.