New to the Forum. Hello and My Tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
SamMag
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to the Forum. Hello and My Tank.

Hello all. I've used this website quite often and never made an account. Until now that is since I just set up my first planted tank. So I thought I'd just say hi and all that. So here it is, my 29 gallon running on 96watt pc 6700k lighting with a DIY co2 system ("set" at about 30bpm). I planted it yesterday and I like how it came out. It's filtered by a magnum 350 canister filter (overkill but it works) heated by a eth inline heater. The power head you see in the back is the co2 reactor. The substrate is 60 lbs of Eco complete (black). The rocks are lace rock left over from one of my tangynika set ups. It's planted with dwarf baby tears, corkscrew Val, Sagittaria subulata (not dwarf clearly), cabomba Carolina, Anubis afzeli, and a wendtii crypt. No fish as of yet though I'm thinking some ottos (or maybe shrimp) and cardinals (though I'd like something more original to be honest but...well suggestions are welcome )

Before and after planting

Last edited by SamMag; 07-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: I forgot to mention something
SamMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
jchase79
Algae Grower

Welcome to the forum! I love your tank so far - can't wait for updates to see how it grows
jchase79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
SamMag
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase79 View Post
Welcome to the forum! I love your tank so far - can't wait for updates to see how it grows
Thanks! The idea of a changing aquascape is still new and strange to me, but, at the same time, exciting. At the moment, Im just hoping that the saggitaria puts out runners so as to make a nice thick jungle of leaves and the baby tears carpet.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
ETK
Planted Member

You're off to a great start! The scape looks great, and it will fill in nicely.

I like how you are using DIY co2 with a reactor in the tank. Try to keep your CO2 as consistent as possible. Its not easy with the yeast method.

Don't be discouraged if you get an algae bloom soon. Just keep up with the water changes (2-3 per week in the begining, 50% per change) and be patient.

Also, one potential difficulty is that you have a mix of slow and fast growing plants. Nothing necessarily wrong with this, though. Once you get the conditions right for the HC and the and stems (cabomba), you may find it hard to keep algae off the crypt and anubia. Not sure about the vals. Otos and Amanos will help, and I also find Flourish Excel spot dosing to be very helpful.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
SamMag
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
Don't be discouraged if you get an algae bloom soon. Just keep up with the water changes (2-3 per week in the begining, 50% per change) and be patient.

Also, one potential difficulty is that you have a mix of slow and fast growing plants. Nothing necessarily wrong with this, though. Once you get the conditions right for the HC and the and stems (cabomba), you may find it hard to keep algae off the crypt and anubia. Not sure about the vals. Otos and Amanos will help, and I also find Flourish Excel spot dosing to be very helpful.
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that picking slow and fast growing plants wouldn't prove too much of an issue. But we shall see I guess. After the first few weeks do you think once a week water changes would be enough? Also, I'd like to get some ottos in the tank soon but I want the plugs of HC to root well first so that they aren't disturbed. How long do you suppose I should wait. And, more importantly , how many of the little guys should I get?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMag View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that picking slow and fast growing plants wouldn't prove too much of an issue. But we shall see I guess. After the first few weeks do you think once a week water changes would be enough? Also, I'd like to get some ottos in the tank soon but I want the plugs of HC to root well first so that they aren't disturbed. How long do you suppose I should wait. And, more importantly , how many of the little guys should I get?
Once a week is fine after the first few weeks, but if you do get an algae bloom later then more frequent water changes will help.

As for number of otos, i don't really know. I have 5 in my 48 gallon, but i could easily double that number. 6-8 would probably be nice cleaning crew for your tank. Also, letting the tank get established is a good idea, but i don't think you need to worry about otos digging up the HC. Otos are pretty little and don't do much digging.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
SamMag
Algae Grower

Alright, sounds pretty sound. Thanks. As for other stocking options, do you think some Amanos with 6 or so otos would be redundant? Ah and I forgot to mention, I'm running on an 10 hr photoperiod (I've read that this is a happy medium between growh and curbing algae).
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMag View Post
Alright, sounds pretty sound. Thanks. As for other stocking options, do you think some Amanos with 6 or so otos would be redundant? Ah and I forgot to mention, I'm running on an 10 hr photoperiod (I've read that this is a happy medium between growh and curbing algae).
I recommend Amanos and Otos. Amanos are good at cleaning things like HC, while Otos tend to clean surfaces like glass and larger plants. Neither are strictly speaking necessary, though.

10 hours is pretty long. You might want to start with 8, and then bump it up if you have no algae issues. I haven't really experimented much with photo period though. You have the right approach, though: photoperiod is all about balancing growth with algae control. Same goes for light intensity.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Welcome aboard. What took you so long to join, lol. Looks like your off to a nice start. This is a great forum to learn from. Research is grand. One thing I would have done differently in your case is a dsm (dry start method) for your ground cover. You will more than likely run into some algae issues as your tank settles in.

Depending on your light's height over the tank, 96w over a 29g could be a tad much if you don't want algae issue. I run a very low tech 29g in which I am using my old (4) light 65w system from my 55 in which I only run 1 bulb. I only get algae on my anabias leaves though. light is hung 6-8 above tank and no co2. I barely add fertz. But definitely shorten your lights to 8 hrs considering you just set it up. In the beginning too much light can led to extra and unwanted algae growth.

As far a otos, do not get them. Not right now at least. Every last one of them will die more than likely. They are not the hardiest of fish for an unestablished aquarium. They are quite sensitive period and they are even more sensitive in a non cycled tank. I only get them when my tanks run a extra 3-4 months after my cycle and they still die. Its very common with them.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
SamMag
Algae Grower

So an update of sorts: After week I am happy to report that I have yet to have an algae outbreak (knock on wood there). I have, however noticed some small snails that (despite my sincerest efforts) hitchhiked on my plants. I squish every now and again when its convenient but they seem to grow steadily in number. As my tank is currently unstocked, I might as well make one of my first tanks's citizens a scourge to snails. I was thinking loach of some sort but am unsure as to what species I could get and keep singly or in a small group in my 29 gallon. Alternatively, Ive been looking at assassin snails as another option. Perhaps a group of 4 or 5? Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you squish the snails, they will release eggs... Either pull them out or put cucumber or something like that in the tank over night, lots of them you can pull out that way
Dina-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
SamMag
Algae Grower

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Here is a recent picture of the tank as well. The HC has really taken off. The Val's are browning at the top of the taller leaves that were tall when I got the shipment but are showing excellent new growth, same goes for the sag. The crypt has put out quite a few beautiful red leaves after a slight melt upon planting (the iron supplement seems to be doing its job). The anubias seems to be growing
Larger but it would appear that I need to clean its leaves for some debris has settle upon it. The cabomba uprooted itself but after a replanting it seems to be doing well growing towards the surface at a swift rate.

Still no fish but I'm hoping that'll change soon.

O and here is a shot "under the hood" so to speak

And of course my fellow planted aquarium enthusiast
Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
SamMag
Algae Grower

Bump