Flex-Strip Customization
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Flex-Strip Customization

Hey Guys!

Quick question about the flex-strip. Would it be possible to cut & mod the Current USA Satellite+ Flexstrip with LED strip connectors like such?

Or is it a 1 cut thing, 1 size thing.

Xiaoxi
xiaoxiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Current USA
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey, may I ask what the purpose of this is for? Here at current, we never recommend our customers to do this due to liability issues especially if we offer advice, help and support but I can try my best. Give me more detail.
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

I have a fluval Edge. And I was going to do a rectangular-U shaped mod around the lid-box of it. That way, I can keep the sleekness of the Fluval Edge and add awesome lighting to it too!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I bought the 12 gallon original led light a d retrofitted the 6 and have a finnex ray 2 on the front f my fluval.

Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Current USA
Sponsor

For plant growth and performance, I would recommend the ecopico strips:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

http://www.ecoxotic.com/ecopico-accessories.html

For the special effects, I would cut the flex strips to its shortest length (18") and try to fit it by wrapping it in a spiral as much as possible.

http://www.current-usa.com/satellite...ible-in-length

Hope this helps!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have been told that using leds in a small space leads to heat problems. Is heat a concern with these strips? Can you explain this heat problem to me?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Current USA
Sponsor

Hey Bruce,

These LED strips definitely get warm but do not reach nearly warm enough temperatures to cause any problems. If you could specify what problems people are referring to, I may be able to address them better.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
scotie aquatic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

hmm,,what do the flex strips cost??
scotie aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
Current USA
Sponsor

The regular Satellite Flex is ~$60 and the Flex+ is ~$75. We just launched it not too long ago and only several stores have them currently but more retailers will have them available soon!

http://www.thatpetplace.com/satellit...rip-light-44in
Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I am not sure I understand the question I am asking either. Why do some leds need heatsinks and others seem to run cool? I picked up one at a show today that was on all day and not hot at all.

I want to build a thin 2 inch or so hood and I am looking for a light that will fit in that space and give me high light without heat problems. I want to use a glass cover so this space is going to be small.

It seems that the cooler leds are underdriven with say a 3 w running at 1 watt or something. I am not sure about that. It just seems that to get a decent par reading at say 18 or 24 inches the higher 3w would be better.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Current USA
Sponsor

I'm not an expert but from working with the experts here at Current, I learned that the LEDs which require heat sinks and get hot are higher powered (higher light output) As for the flex strips at the show, they are very low powered which is why they stay very cool.

For a 2 inch hood and high powered, Satellite regular might be your best bet but even then, it isn't that high powered.

You're definitely right about underdriving the LEDs resulting in a cooler fixture as well. This is why our lights run so cool and last so much longer 50,000 hours. Compared to our competitors (marineland's) 17000 hours and hot LED fixture. We use smaller underdriven LEDs to provide better spread. Higher powered, larger LED chips are generally much hotter and focus resulting in deeper penetration. But in the case of planted hobbyists, our tanks rarely get deeper than 24" which is what the Satellite is optimized for. Tanks that are less than 24" deep.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoxiy View Post
I have a fluval Edge. And I was going to do a rectangular-U shaped mod around the lid-box of it. That way, I can keep the sleekness of the Fluval Edge and add awesome lighting to it too!
you might want to look into this guy - (spoke to him once about his fluval edge) https://sites.google.com/site/aquaristikedge/home-1, it is in german so you need to translate it. He does a light mod and a few others that I personally thing are great. If you want to fully customize your edge, try to follow him (*bites tongue* you can call fluval and ask for a replacement bottom panel to create the extended top)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I have been told that using leds in a small space leads to heat problems. Is heat a concern with these strips? Can you explain this heat problem to me?
Depending on how much heat is being produced from the LED's. These strips do create some heat but nothing where you need a heatsink. If now you are sticking them inside a cover like the fluval edge top - I would personally recommend drilling side/back hole for either a small computer fan to pull air (even better to have one of each side for a push -> pull method). this is to regulate your aquarium temperature a bit better.

Anyways, here is a cut-test demonstration on these flex-strip. It's pretty simple and straight froward - I might play around a bit more with the extra length to see if I can create a square pattern (for people looking to angle them) Remember, any customization like this probably voids your warranty right then and there.
http://youtu.be/7jRzE3UX8CI
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
you might want to look into this guy - (spoke to him once about his fluval edge) https://sites.google.com/site/aquaristikedge/home-1, it is in german so you need to translate it. He does a light mod and a few others that I personally thing are great. If you want to fully customize your edge, try to follow him (*bites tongue* you can call fluval and ask for a replacement bottom panel to create the extended top)

Depending on how much heat is being produced from the LED's. These strips do create some heat but nothing where you need a heatsink. If now you are sticking them inside a cover like the fluval edge top - I would personally recommend drilling side/back hole for either a small computer fan to pull air (even better to have one of each side for a push -> pull method). this is to regulate your aquarium temperature a bit better.

Anyways, here is a cut-test demonstration on these flex-strip. It's pretty simple and straight froward - I might play around a bit more with the extra length to see if I can create a square pattern (for people looking to angle them) Remember, any customization like this probably voids your warranty right then and there.
http://youtu.be/7jRzE3UX8CI
Dude. Keep me updated. If you manage to get the connectors to work, that would be pretty darned sweet.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

A few things - one that the flexstrip is not flush (it has a curve to the shape). Par rating isn't extreme, so if your looking for medium-high plants (like baby tears) your better off going with some stronger LEDs which will also need heatsinks or cooling options.

anyways, I'll try to get to it when i can (i have alot on my plate right now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	186745  

Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote