ADA 90-P faulty. Or...? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #31
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
George Costanza !!!!!

How new is the tank? I notice some really bad craftsmanship with my 60-P. The seams are not completely straight or there is excess. No idea what the proper term is called but it's the glue that you can touch on the outside. I run my fingers down and feel it. My Fluval Edge 1st generation did not have this, the 2nd gen 12gallons has this.

The older ADA sticker tanks are perfect, everything is completely flush. My newer sticker ADA tank is not something you would expect for the amount of money.

I had the same problem with my 60-P, the back pane was not flush with the others as regards silicon connection, i.e when you feel it it isn't smooth.
I emailed AFA about the problem but they told me they were not going to give me a replacement, full refund or even a partial store credit. Their reason was and I quote:
"As for the fish tank, ADA aquariums goes through strict quality control, all the ADA tanks we sell passed the strict quality control for quality assurance. There is a small allowance for the panels, therefore, even if it is not perfectly flush, it will not interfere with the strength and safty of the fish tank. We are afraid we are unable to provide you credit for the fish tank. "

Um yeah.

I guess all the problems began when they switched tank manufacturing from Germany to China. The claims of better LIG are actually false, true they are clearer than the old ADA German regular glass, but NOT clearer than the old ADA German LIG tanks, I have seen plenty of examples and to compare it would be like looking at Do!Aqua = current ADA vs old ADA glass.

My guess for why they switched manufacturing locations ,easy, to lower labor and material cost and increase profit margin with zero benefit to the consumer. Funny when the yen was at all time highs the price for ADA products increased here, now the yen has fallen alot since where is our price decrease?

So who makes the best tanks then? I would say ELOS, but I don't really like the black silicone, custom tank makers? Depends on who they are and where you live. ADA is still the best choice regarding availability and price but not perfect in some cases.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #32
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Maybe some others who actually own ADA tanks can chime in but that just doesn't look right at all. It's not just the fact it isn't square, the silicone does not look right either. Maybe ADA has loosened up their quality control as they have become more popular but that seems like a straight knock off.

Does your supplier order directly from ADA? I am just wondering if people have possibly started counterfeiting these tanks or something. I just haven't seen an ADA tank that looks like that ever. Again, I don't own one myself.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #33
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Will not comment on all of the latest post since Im at work (pocket computer) so just a small update.

Got a reply from the retailer. They apologize for the inconvenience and will take it up with the German ADA supplier.

Im very sure my tanks are not fake/copys etc. The finish on the panes is superb. The silicone... not as nice as I've seen on close ups on the interwebz.
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #34
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Sorry to derail, but I did not know that ADA has a 12 long tank ?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Hmm, I thought they did, I must have been thinking of a different size then.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #35
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsnork View Post
Got a reply from the retailer. They apologize for the inconvenience and will take it up with the German ADA supplier.
Good.

Threads like this make me think twice why would I pay a premium price for a Chinese made tanks. I have ADA's tanks and they are indeed nice. But then I also have 2 Mr Aqua tanks and they are not bad other. I am looking for another tank and paying extra $150 for a 30g tank with a nicer label is making less an less sense.

2 years ago the quality was better and other brands were far behind. Nowdays rimless tanks are no longer a novelty: Marinland, Penn Plax, Current-USA, Mr Aqua, TopAqua, Deep Blue, ELIOS, and their brothers are on the bandwagon, with wider choices of footprints, glass clarity, silicon work, etc etc.

Point being: ADA - I might pay a premium price BUT the service, availability, and the perceived value are better be there.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #36
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
What was your result when you measure it diagonally? How off was it?
Approx 104mm vs 107mm. But thats taken upside via the rim. I havent measured the bottom since the tank is so darn heavy. Need a friend to come over. I really dont care about a few millimeters here and there as long as it doesnt affect the "squareness"/strength or is otherwise visually obvious.

Quote:
If you got time, can you take some photos of the 90-P's sticker. Are those air bubbles in the sticker? There seem to be some air trapped under it, while the 60-P is all clear.
They are both bubbly, just doesnt show on the 60-P with the soil background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
I emailed AFA about the problem but they told me they were not going to give me a replacement, full refund or even a partial store credit. Their reason was and I quote:
"As for the fish tank, ADA aquariums goes through strict quality control, all the ADA tanks we sell passed the strict quality control for quality assurance. There is a small allowance for the panels, therefore, even if it is not perfectly flush, it will not interfere with the strength and safty of the fish tank. We are afraid we are unable to provide you credit for the fish tank." .
Thats sound beyond stupid. Catch 22 much? If they have such superb quality control, why is your tank faulty? Their whole statement contradicts itself. Total bummer.

Sounds more like: -Helping you out is to much of a hustle so were gonna bull**** you instead so that the problem goes away.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post

Does your supplier order directly from ADA? I am just wondering if people have possibly started counterfeiting these tanks or something.
No idea where ADA Germany gets their stuff from. Pretty shure its legit. Everything from packaging labeling to glass hooks information leeflets looks genuine and as Ive seen on the interwebzzzz.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #37
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

So pictures seem high on demand in this thread so I tried to take some closeups on the seams with my camera (phone). Glass is not the best subject in morning gloom light.

This evaded me before; a silicone smudge. Lack of masking tape?

Here (the 3 pics below) you can the weird variations in silicone thickness.

Upper part right front seam.

Lower part right front seam.

Rest looks OK as far as I can tell. A little smudgy at places, but nothing really noticable when filled up with soil and water and perhaps with some algea.

I must say, that apart from the glass panes being beweled, this type of quality silicone/seam work could be done by a local aquarium builder or even a handy hobbyist with some patience and some masking tape.

Ive got two links for ya:

Older ADA build quality fyi and what I was expecting:
http://www.projectaquarium.com/plant...ubeGarden.aspx

How to build a (small at least) clean rimless aquarium:

Last edited by Matsnork; 07-16-2013 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: typo again
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #38
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Here is mine, it's super bubbly just like yours. I found it a bit odd but didn't say anything.

Also, what is this? Is it missing some silicone? I have this but it's very small and not as much as yours.

So unless, ADA's manufacturer has a bad batch of tanks, I'm not sure what we could do. I haven't even measure the 90' degree angle of my tank. I need those T-square, a wooden ruler doesn't measure the length very well.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

That bubble thing looks worse in the picture than irl. Not shure what it is really. I think it is an imperfection reflecting up through the bewel making it seem bigger.

Edit: But look att the angle the front pane is glued. The difference in seam thickness is quite noticeable. Got to be at least 2mm.

Last edited by Matsnork; 07-16-2013 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
trackhazard
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Matsnork,

I've owned a bunch of the ADA tanks in the past back when they had the old sticker. The silicone work on them was meticulous to say the least. Your pictures look nothing like what I am used to from ADA and if I received an ADA tank like that, I think I would be upset. I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

I don't know what the aquarium industry is like in your area of the world but I know locally for me, I can get tanks of ADA quality from local builders. You may want to ask around and see what you can find.

-Charlie
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Does ADA have an English contact? I want to ask them their opinion on this. Does anyone else have bubble in their ADA stickers on new tanks? It's kind of bugging me now. I haven't even shown you guys the silicone job on my tank, it's not what someone would call great. My Fluval has better a better silicone job than my 60-P.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

percieved quality and service really. to be honest, these large tanks are generally special order items and not something readily stocked at any retail outlet. if you had a problem or issue with these in North america, dont expect them to send a replacement tank or offer a refund. you'll likely be told that the warranty is void because its not on an ada stand... which is what happened to one of our local members.

The small ada tanks may be passable in quality but for larger tanks, i certainly would raise the bar on scrutiny since you want to know what you are getting for your near $1000 usd purchase...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
percieved quality and service really. to be honest, these large tanks are generally special order items and not something readily stocked at any retail outlet. if you had a problem or issue with these in North america, dont expect them to send a replacement tank or offer a refund. you'll likely be told that the warranty is void because its not on an ada stand... which is what happened to one of our local members.

The small ada tanks may be passable in quality but for larger tanks, i certainly would raise the bar on scrutiny since you want to know what you are getting for your near $1000 usd purchase...
Why would poor workmanship be affected by what stand you use? If the tank cracks, yes, but it's pretty obvious the workmanship is bad. The stand didn't cause the tank to have crappy workmanship.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #44
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

It wouldn't, houseofcards. That just tends to be a condition for warranty. It was with ADG at one point, I believe.

Fortunately, there are lots of other OEM resellers entering the market to complete when it comes to smaller tanks.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #45
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

somewhatshocked if that is true it would be ridiculous and I doubt would hold up. Imagine sending pics of shoddy craftsman and the ADA (or whoever's) response is "well what kind of stand is it on" If it's a crack then I would totally understand.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.