Easiest/fastest to clean (canister) filter for large tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Harry Muscle
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Easiest/fastest to clean (canister) filter for large tank?

I'm in the planning stages of getting a large tank again and I'm doing research on which filter to get. Since this is going to be a fairly large tank (75G or 90G) I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a canister filter, however, I'm looking for opinions on which one would be considered easiest (ie: fastest) to clean. I'm limited on time, so spending extra on a better filter that will save some hassle and time every time it needs to be cleaned is worth it for me.

For example when I had my 55G tank I had a Filstar XP2. I liked the filter, but here's an example of something that I'd like to improve on with this new tank ... the foam filter media was located at the bottom of the filter (underneath the basket with the bio media) you had to take out the bio media basket and place it somewhere. It's soaking wet and my wife wouldn't allow me to place it on the bathroom counter while I clean the filter, so I always had to have a spare container of some sorts that was fish tank safe where I can put the wet parts of the filter while I get to the bottom to clean the foam media. The obvious fix to this would be a filter that has the opposite flow pattern so that the parts you clean most often (the foam) is at the top not at the bottom.

It's these kind of little annoyances and nuances that can either make cleaning the filter very fast or somewhat annoying. If you can share your opinions on which filter you loved the most when it came to cleaning that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. The Eheim Professional 3 series seems to have a prefilter at the top of the filter which would help somewhat ... but are there other filters that you would recommend?
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Eheim 2075 ~$200 pre-filter at the very top.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
Wwh2694
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (33/100%)

The easiest filter I ever used was the ADA superjet. The superjet 1200 is perfect for 90g. Lol I know it's expensive too.
Wwh2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

The easiest I used were nuclear filters run with a external pump and used with unions and filter drains. they were very easy to use and cheap too

i missed out my local reefers did a group buy and i didnt notice i missed out on a $58 wp40... and less for the wp25s

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-11-2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Carlc1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval G6 for a 75. I am using a G3 on my 55. Mechanical and chemical take about 3 minutes to change if you have spare cartridges.
I know its on the pricey side but with a busy work schedule it is nice and quick maintenance.

Carl
Carlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
exv152
Wannabe Guru

I think any eheim canister has the filter floss at the top. I personally like the 2026 (now it's called the eheim pro III 2073).
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

any bucket style i'd think.

Fluval FX5
odyssea cfs 500

etc
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
I think any eheim canister has the filter floss at the top. I personally like the 2026 (now it's called the eheim pro III 2073).
2026 is very different from 207X.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Paxx
Algae Grower

This is what I do to clean my Filstar XL4.

Disconnect in/out.
Pop the top, and lay it on a towel.
Four baskets out and into a 5 gallon "aquarium only" bucket.
Dump canister water in sink.
Rinse/replace bio-media/filter pads/canister body as needed with tap water.
Return baskets to unit.
Pop the top on.
Reconnect in/out and fill canister with tank water.
Burp air out of top of canister.
Replace tank water.
Done.

Takes about 10 minutes once a month for my 55g.
Paxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My Fluval 305 takes about 10-15 minutes to do the maintenance on.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 to scapegoat's recommendations, I prefer the odyssea cfs500 myself I did the circumference mod and I only clean mine about once a year. The price can not be beat either I think last time I bought mine it was like $60 with free shipping. I have three of them and have never had one die or leak on me as well.
GeraldStringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Harry Muscle
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldStringham View Post
+1 to scapegoat's recommendations, I prefer the odyssea cfs500 myself I did the circumference mod and I only clean mine about once a year. The price can not be beat either I think last time I bought mine it was like $60 with free shipping. I have three of them and have never had one die or leak on me as well.
What size tank do you use this on? Fully planted? I'd love to go one year between cleanings

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #13
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

I use 2 on a 120 gallon tank fully planted medium bioload though. However at the price you could run two and still save money over most other canister options out there. Only reason I know you can go for a year is because I had a newborn baby and really neglected my tank only top offs and the water was still crystal clear and plants still growing well. Then I finally got around to cleaning filter output had reduced a bit but nothing noticeable. Typically I clean the filter every 6 months though. The circumference mod is the key to going so long without cleaning without it the filter is good for 3-6 months tops in my opinion. If your interested I will find the thread with instructions on doing the circumference mod it was super easy.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

Always wanted to try the odyssea filter, are the lids better than they used to be? I could replace my two extra filters with one of these and still run my eheim 2217
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
Always wanted to try the odyssea filter, are the lids better than they used to be? I could replace my two extra filters with one of these and still run my eheim 2217
I have seen pictures of the old problematic lids and mine actually have far more rigid plastic support. I will take a picture if I get a chance. I have never had any issue. I know they also replaced the o-rings with the correct size ones.