Filtration for Oceanic 175g bowfront (Trickle vs Canister)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
crshadow
Plant Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)

As some of you may remember I was recently debating on whether to get a 175 gallon bowfront or a 180 gallon rectangular tank for my upcoming tank. Well after MUCH contemplation, my wife and I finally settled on the Oceanic 175 gallon bowfront... That was such a difficult choice for this size of investment....

That being said, before I make the purchase, I am planning out all the aspects of the tank. (Equipment, Lighting, etc) The main question for this post is the filtration. The tank can be ordered predrilled with Oceanic's "Reef Ready" system which features an overflow and return and a nice sump/trickle filter. Although this is great convenience feature to have, I'm not sure I like it for a couple reasons:

1. CO2 Loss. I currently have this type of setup on my 80 Gallon bowfront and I go through CO2 pretty quick thanks to the trickle filter/sump.

2. Cramped planting space on either side of the tank. The "Reef Ready" setup blocks off the back 2 corners of the tank with the overflow and returns. These remove an area of about 9" x 7" from each side of the tank where space is already limited as it is, since its a bowfront. This results in a front to back planting space of only 10" on each side. I might be being a little nitpicky here, but one of the reasons I wanted to move to a bigger tank was because I wanted a more generous planting area.

3. Lighting. Well I just thought of this while I was typing, I suppose I would lose a little bit of light also thanks to the aforementioned blocked off corners. Not a big issue, but a small part of the whole.

Based on the above, I am leaning towards not going with the "Reef Ready" setup and just ordering the tank without it. Instead I'm thinking of the more popular method around here of using canister filters.

I'm basically looking for opinions from everyone here on the forums.

Am I making the right choice by not going with the "Reef Ready" setup?

What filters would you recommend? I really like the Eheim Pro II series with the built in heater, although they are kinda pricey. Perhaps a combination of this with something else?

How many such filters would I need for a tank of this size?

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeremiah
crshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I would NOT go with the reef ready tank. And I would go with Ocean Clear filters on a tank that size. Big tanks need big filters. The Model 340 would work great. Or you could go with the Rainbow Lifegard filter system. As for the heater I would recommend a couple of titanium heaters and a heater controller.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Cakes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you go with canister filters you will need at least two. I currently have two Filstar XP'3 and an Emp 400 on my 180G and have been very happy. I do a weekly 10% water change.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Negaprion
Algae Grower

I agree with Rex. I wouldn't go with the reef ready tank. I have an allglass 90 that is "reef ready"--a single corner overflow. I was using a trickle filter, but had huge CO2 loss. I recently took out the trickle, plugged the overflow, and went with 2 canister filters. Its made a big difference in my CO2 absorbtion and therefore the pH, etc.

Another problem I had with the overflow is floating debris "shed plant leaves" was constantly clogging it; I had a couple of close calls with water backing up the tank and nearly spilling over. You need to keep a close eye on this or disaster awaits!

Jeremy
Negaprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Doesn't the Rainbow Lifeguard filter system have a heating module?
If it does, no need for heaters in the aquarium.

Mike
Old 01-19-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Yes it does.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
crshadow
Plant Grower

Thanks, for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it. After looking into the Rainbow Lifegard system, I believe its going to be the way to go for me. As for heating, I really like the 1000w Pro Heat II digital titanium heater. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...p;N=2004+22787 Does anyone have any first hand experience with this model? I'm curious as to its dimensions, so I can determine whether it will fit the Lifegard heater module.

Hmm... Something just came to mind... With a 1000 watt heater, plus inevitably 500+ watts of lighting. That's already approximately 1500+ watts of power consumed by this setup. Divide that by ~ 115 volts and it seems this setup is already going to utilize about 13 amps of power, not even including the pump and other accessories. I now wonder whether I am at risk of overloading a single 15amp circuit at home. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on this?

Thanks,

Jeremiah
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

You are going to be cutting it a little bit close with a regular 15A breaker. Especially considering that one outlet is most likely not the only one drawing current through that particular breaker.
Big tanks call for drastic measures. Most big tank builders will set up an individual breaker for the tank alone. The hassle up front will translate into peace of mind down the road.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
Cakes
Algae Grower

with the heat from the lights you will not need a 1000watt heater, a 500 watt one would be fine.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I agree with cakes, 1000 watts is overkill, 500 watts should be plenty of heat. Even then it'll probably only kick on in the early morning hours. What kind of lighting are you gonna use on this tank?
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:24 PM   #11
crshadow
Plant Grower

Yeah, you guys are probably right. The main reason I had opted for the 1000w was because the Pro Heat II line I was looking into jumps from a 300w model to the 1000w model. What I'll probably do is use a 300w glass heater I have now at first, and determine what I need depending on how that performs.

As for the lighting. I'll probably be using a combination of 96 and 55 kits from AH supply. Not sure exactly, but right now it will probably be 2 2x96 kits in the back and 3 1x55 kits in the front. Any thoughts on this? Based on the WPG rule this is 3.1 WPG. I'm a little worried about the height of the tank causing a problem, as it is 28" high. Although my 80 gallon bowfront (26"high) is at 2.75wpg and is doing fine.

-Jeremiah
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #12
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

That's a LOT of light for a tank that size. The WPG breaks down on larger tanks and you are dealing with a large tank here. But you might need that many bulbs just to get even coverage.