Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
EWTC
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Iíve been taking photos of zebra jumping spiders (Salticus scenicus) that have been hunting mosquitoes on the screen door to my kitchen. These spiders are really endearing in their movements and ďattitudeĒ...itís too bad they are so tiny. Imagine how much fun they would be if they were the size of a tarantula!

Males of the species are apparently darker in colour, so I believe that the first photo below is of a male, and the second is a female. If anyone can confirm that, please let me know. There are more photos of each specimen on my blog.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera; Zuiko 35mm macro lens; manual exposure (F8-F11 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/8-1/4 power); ISO: 200

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

P7040536 2 jumping spider on screen ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
P7110479 jumping spider screen 2 ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
EWTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Thats really cool! Did they eat it like that or did they haul it away and wrap it up?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
EWTC
Planted Member

Mea culpa

There is a quote circulating on Facebook that basically says that you are doing science wrong if you don’t make mistakes; that you are doing science really wrong if you don’t correct those mistakes; and that you aren’t doing it at all if you don’t accept that you’re mistaken.

Well, it turns out that the darker spider is actually a different species: Platycryptus (probably P. californicus). It also turns out that what I thought were mosquitoes were actually non-biting midges (chironomids). Sigh. I have re-edited my blog and corrected these mistakes.

I must be doing GREAT science!

It’s interesting that two very similar species, one introduced and one native, were feeding on the same prey within inches of one another. I wonder whether the two species avoid each other (given their great vision) or if one ever preys on the other?

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
EWTC
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Thats really cool! Did they eat it like that or did they haul it away and wrap it up?
Neither actually, they just munched the bugs right there on the spot, and then dropped the corpses when they were done.

Cheers,
EC