Pond substrates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

View Poll Results: Do you put substrate into your pond?
Nope, my pond is barebottom, any plants are in pots 4 50.00%
Yes, my pond has a substrate 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Pond substrates?

Just wondering... amongst you pond owners, who puts a substrate into their pond, why, what, how deep, and how has it worked out?

I have a "barebottom" pond with many potted plants, working out good, I guess it is easier to clean. But perhaps a pond with some sort of aquatic soil would be closer to nature?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

I replied with "yes" I don't have a pond now but the pond my family had at are old house that we built did get a substraight, naturally . It was orriginally a veggie garden but then it was too shaded by the neighbors trees, so I got my dream and we got a pond! Over the years leaves would get in the pond bottom which was around 3-4ft at its deepest point and there was quite an active substraight of decomposing oganics.

On a newer note,
A year ago I went to the RI garden expo in Providence and attended a talk by a guy from a big pond company and big pond enthusiast and it was quite a talk. Some notes I remember clearly talked about substraight. He said that in all ponds you should place I believe around 1-3 inches of substraight such as porus gravel like 'lava rocks' or something of the sort to add to the bio filtration of the pond. the substraight will help give more surface area to the pond which will break down fish waste much better. I believe he said that in all the ponds he built for customers and himself he has VERY little build up of fish waste in the bottom of the ponds like most ponds, and recomended doing this. I remember Him with his slides showing some statistics of how much it really increased the surface area for good baceria and it was HUGE! All in all it was a geat talk by this guy.

I would also look into Soilmaster Select now aday to help out a pond if it wasnt too big in the future, would be good for plants.

so I would say yes I would do substraight, if not for the plants for the fish.

- Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Thanks Andrew, good info. I agree that it increases the surface for bacteria a lot. For bioload/algae reasons, I got rid of my goldfishies (except for a small kinda fancy one) and the two dozen mosquito fish and few minnows provide barely any bioload.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
Seahorsewhisperer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It seems to me like you will have a substrate of some kind, if the pond matures, right? You can add some thing you like or just suck out the detritus buildup?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Thanks Andrew, good info. I agree that it increases the surface for bacteria a lot. For bioload/algae reasons, I got rid of my goldfishies (except for a small kinda fancy one) and the two dozen mosquito fish and few minnows provide barely any bioload.
Yeah this was more towards koi and other high volume ponds but I would do it on any pond.

When I had my pond it was all local caught fish, and the goldfish my mom insisted on..... but it was amazing having baby sunfish, a native catfish frogs and the like from the area. Sad to say since we sold the house I will be willing to bet the pond is WAY overstocked, but it may be going fine, maybe I'll see if I can arrange with the current residents if I can go and see it, but that is unlikely. (only moved a mile away lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorsewhisperer View Post
It seems to me like you will have a substrate of some kind, if the pond matures, right? You can add some thing you like or just suck out the detritus buildup?
well usually in large ponds you only really change water if your liner breaks, we had it happen twice I remember because of tree roots.... so you will just have some much and decaying matter on the bottom which is probably really good for it, Haven't had a pond since I got back into the hobby because of how our house is and we have no fences and small kids next door, so right now a big pond would pose problems my parrents dont want to figure out.... (even if I can get a solution. )

I really really love ponds, I hate not having one.

- Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote