what happens when 2 different mollies breed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
mlpzaq52
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

what happens when 2 different mollies breed?

my white molly and black molly bred, so will their babies be dalmation mollies?
also, what if a gold molly bred with a white or black molly? thanks for the help.

10g tank
Plants
mlpzaq52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

It all depends. Most likely you'll get a mixture of fish that resemble either the father or mother. But you may also find a few that have a combination of features. You'd then interbreed these fish in an attempt to fix the traits. This is how hybrids are created.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Wookiellmonster
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wookiellmonster

If you breed different colors you would probably get the color that is the dominant trait rather than recessive.
Wookiellmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

well.. i dunno about other mollies.. but sailfins produce sailfins!! i think the female egg has all the DNA needed and males only provide a stimulli for it to grow.
CardBoardBoxProcessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoardBoxProcessor View Post
well.. i dunno about other mollies.. but sailfins produce sailfins!! i think the female egg has all the DNA needed and males only provide a stimulli for it to grow.
Er?

I don't know *anything* about fish replication, but if it's like humans, then half the genes from the mother combine with half the genes from the father...

That's why you get a mix of traits from the mother and father. The dominant traits from either the mother or the father will show up, unless both parents are recessive in the trait. And from here on, it's too complicated so I'll stop. =P
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sailfins mollies don't...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpzaq52 View Post
also, what if a gold molly bred with a white or black molly? thanks for the help.
Well I would keep it simple and say you will get mollies...

but more seriously it depends what genetic trates they have, they are probably "muts" so there will be a whole array of traits exhibited, some will look like mom some will look like dad, some will look like aunty mary who you dont know exists,..... you get the point

- Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #8
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well if gold is dominate, lets call it G, and white is recessive, lets call it g. the big G always over powers the little g. if the G molly is a GG, meaning it has two dominate traits in its mother anf father chromosomes. and the female is a Gg meanign one os the parents had a recessive trait in its genes. you would get all Gold mollies.. you can do this by squaring them

___G___G
G__GG__GG
_________
g__Gg__Gg

however you can get some recessive from two gold mollies.

___G___g
G__Gg__Gg
_________
g__Gg__gg

so for every 4 mollies yhe ration could be 3 gold for every white.

though.. there are some traits that blend... like white and red roses make pink roses..
Old 11-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
mlpzaq52
Algae Grower

so basicly i could get some white, some black, and some dalmatian and then i would breed the color that i wanted?

but how would you make sure they don't breed with any others? i don't have/ can't afford another tank for them.

10g tank
Plants
mlpzaq52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:52 AM   #10
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoardBoxProcessor View Post
Go back to biology class. You were obviously sleeping.
Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
If your mollys were line bred for a long time they would not have too many regressive genes and the progeny will follow the Mendels Law (1,3,3,1). On the other hand if your Mollys are only showing dominant colours are from cross bred community, you will end up with lots of variations from the wild (green) short finned variety to several indeteminates and combinations. Wait and watch, at least you will know what sort of Mollys you have.
essabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Quote:
so basicly i could get some white, some black, and some dalmatian and then i would breed the color that i wanted?

but how would you make sure they don't breed with any others? i don't have/ can't afford another tank for them.
You can use a divider, but if you plan to divide up a 10 gallon tank, that's too small for them. It's better to divide a 20 gallon (preferrably 20 long) tank.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Go back to biology class. You were obviously sleeping.
No.. I have an A in bio-101.. I believe I was fully awake when talking about ameiotic fish.. I think you sir need to retrun to kindergarden and learn to read because you obviously did not fully read my post...I am only talking about one species. This would be the Amazon Molly.. also called sailfin mollies.

"The Amazon Molly has a very unusual reproduction system. Females produce eggs with two full sets of chromosomes, they are, in effect, "pre fertilised". The species is thus parthenogenic - all of the genetic material comes from the female and all specimens are female. They will not produce young however, until they have mated with a male of related species. The sperm from this mating does not join with the eggs, but it's presence stimulates the eggs to develop. Thus it is quite easy to breed P. formosa as long as it is kept with males of a related species, (P. latipinna P. mexicana P. sphenops P. chica, and P. vittata will all court and mate with P. formosa)."

I need to find the sight that i got that off again.. but I will find it when i am out of class.

oh look! I am right.. so read before you bash me and say i sleep in school..

Dispensable and indispensable genes in an ameiotic fish, the Amazon molly <i>Poecilia formosa</i>

Entrez PubMed
disclaimer: I know my grammar and spelling suck... if you attempt to make a come back using these fields.. I really would not be insulted haha
Old 11-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee@gmail.com View Post
If your mollys were line bred for a long time they would not have too many regressive genes and the progeny will follow the Mendels Law (1,3,3,1). On the other hand if your Mollys are only showing dominant colours are from cross bred community, you will end up with lots of variations from the wild (green) short finned variety to several indeteminates and combinations. Wait and watch, at least you will know what sort of Mollys you have.
he could do test crosses.. but you also would need to research the recesive traits.. buy one.. wait for them to breed..

wait.. what was it you wanted again?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

Take some biology classes. You'll learn all about the recessive and dominant traits and the ratio of offspring resembling each parent. Same happens when you cross breed cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote