Is the Satellite Freshwater Plus bright enough?! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #31
Current USA
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfish007 View Post
I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank (20" deep but will have about 3-4 inches of substrate, 18" front to back, 48" long). I do not plan on using injected co2, though will probably use Excel. I'd like to have a nice "carpet" on the bottom and fairly even light spread throughout the tank. Will one of the Freshwater LED + lights work or will I need two? Do these units come with a dimmer?
As stan mentioned, it will grow plants quite well but for a carpet, depending on which plant, it will take a while with just 1 light. You may want to use 2 lights to speed up carpeting.

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #32
Sac ave
Algae Grower

Default PAR value?

I'm working with a vendor on plant selection for my new tank, and they've requested details on my lighting. Can I get an approximate Sat+ PAR value at 9"?

I'm really happy with these lights on my new Schuber-Wright 9g nano, by the way.
Sac ave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

You might find this useful:
http://www.guitarfish.org/2013/05/30...2-par-readings
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #34
Current USA
Sponsor

another great example of how the Satellite plus is enough light for planted tanks! http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=441873

Old 12-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
fish h20
Algae Grower

I just wanted to share some information for anyone who may be interested. I measured the PAR (with an Apogee) of a 48" Freshwater LED + at 18" through the air. The best I could get was 25 and that was directly under the middle of the light on full spectrum. I am using a 1 year old single T8 cool white bulb in the 48" fixture that came with my 75G and I get 31 PAR. So this fixture puts out a little less PAR than a single 48" T8 florescent fixture. The light spread was a lot better with the T8.
On the positive side, the LED + was very slim and looked really good sitting on the aquarium.
fish h20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #36
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi there! I'm hoping to pick up a 24" Sat+ later this week, to go on top of an ADA 60P clone (mr aqua 17.1). Since the tank is 14" tall, and I should have about 2" of substrate, and the light appears to sit about an inch above the tank, am I correct that the PAR value at the substrate should be about 36, so the low end of medium light?

What sort of plants would you recommend with that kind of light? (obviously some will be taller, and thus closer to the surface/light) Will any mosses work, on rocks or driftwood, where they would also be higher? What about some sort of carpeting plants? Low tech (read: no co2, only flourish and excel and root tabs), so slow carpet I'd guess (or would a DSM work with low tech?), but is there something that might work out?

Oh, and finally, is the dual ramp timer available yet? What the price? I didn't see a price listed on your website.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #37
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Hi there! I'm hoping to pick up a 24" Sat+ later this week, to go on top of an ADA 60P clone (mr aqua 17.1). Since the tank is 14" tall, and I should have about 2" of substrate, and the light appears to sit about an inch above the tank, am I correct that the PAR value at the substrate should be about 36, so the low end of medium light?

What sort of plants would you recommend with that kind of light? (obviously some will be taller, and thus closer to the surface/light) Will any mosses work, on rocks or driftwood, where they would also be higher? What about some sort of carpeting plants? Low tech (read: no co2, only flourish and excel and root tabs), so slow carpet I'd guess (or would a DSM work with low tech?), but is there something that might work out?

Oh, and finally, is the dual ramp timer available yet? What the price? I didn't see a price listed on your website.
For a 60P, moss and most lower light stems will grow fine. you may want 2 to get ground covers to do well. One would give you ~30micromoles in the brighter areas but much less in others

check out this awesome 60P with 2 satellites. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=441873

Old 02-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #38
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
For a 60P, moss and most lower light stems will grow fine. you may want 2 to get ground covers to do well. One would give you ~30micromoles in the brighter areas but much less in others

check out this awesome 60P with 2 satellites. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=441873
Yes, Brian's tank was a big inspiration to go with the Sat+, although he has co2 so no fair comparing!

I think two Sat+ lights would bring serious algae issues without co2, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

I'll start with one, though, and see how that goes.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #39
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Yes, Brian's tank was a big inspiration to go with the Sat+, although he has co2 so no fair comparing!

I think two Sat+ lights would bring serious algae issues without co2, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

I'll start with one, though, and see how that goes.
If you want to increase the lighting but you're not ready to get into CO2 injection, you can dose a liquid carbon like Glut (aka: metricide 14). It's like generic excel (and would be cheaper than using excel).
Old 02-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #40
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
If you want to increase the lighting but you're not ready to get into CO2 injection, you can dose a liquid carbon like Glut (aka: metricide 14). It's like generic excel (and would be cheaper than using excel).
Yes, I'm currently dosing excel. I'll look into Glut when the time comes for a refill.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #41
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, I'm currently dosing excel. I'll look into Glut when the time comes for a refill.
Glutaraldehyde is the full name when searching for it

Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #42
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Glutaraldehyde is the full name when searching for it
Yup, figured that out... after a bit of searching.

Loving my Sat+!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #43
kylemartin88
Algae Grower

I've been reading all the posts I can find on the future products coming from current-usa and would like just a little more information that I may have missed in the hundreds of posts I've searched. I know the new light from ecoxotic is expected soon which is putting me on hold for switching out my second light on my 30 gallon, other light is a satellite+, but I wanted to know if current-usa is working on a timer specifically designed for the satellite+. I know the ramp timers can control our ramp up/down, but are they considering building a ramp specifically designed for the satellite+ that can replace our current remote and be able to control all the features like the ramp pro on the trulumen? Is it even possible? These answers will help me determine whether to wait and slowly exchange for the new light from ecoxotic or to wait and get a possible ramp specifically designed for the satellite+ or to be content, and I am extremely impressed with the satellite+ already, and purchase the dual ramp timer. Just some things that I've been trying to get answered through reading, but decided to be proactive and throw it out there and see what I get back.

By the way, I have two Satellite+'s on my 150T and one on my 30cube. Both tanks grow a wide range of plants.
kylemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 AM   #44
EvilFish
Planted Member

How useful is ramp timer?
EvilFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #45
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilFish View Post
How useful is ramp timer?
Depends on your goals.

If you have a complicated schedule in mind, want to create custom colors, or use the "dynamic" modes (which aren't really modes you want to leave your tank on all the time anyway, IMO) it's not very useful.

If your goal is simply to use one of the recommended colors (such as yellow, which is the "sunlight" mode the manufacturers have told us is best for growing plants), and have the lights fade on gradually at X:00 and then fade off gradually at Y:00, so the cycle is nicer for your fish, then the ramp timer is excellent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.