Aquascaping tank in wall from both sides?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquascaping tank in wall from both sides?

My buddy bought my old 55 gallon and put it in the wall separating the waiting room from another room in his office. The idea is to have it seen from both rooms so using background plants doesn't really work. I gave him 2 pieces of Malaysian wood and he is going to plant the rest.

I'm thinking an island type aquascape with short foreground plants around perimeter and built up center with java fern and anubia?

Any suggestions or links are appreciated! Thanks
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that would work. Treat the center as the background Sort of.

The only problem is that in a 55, it is so narrow you will effectively be using a 6" wide tankk from each side.

Depending on how the tank is mounted and orientation of the equipment, it may be easier to concentrate the wood and larger plantings toward one side and have a wraparound beach or lawn on the other, more like a peninsula than an island.

.02 worth what you paid for it. Enjoy.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the narrow width of a 55G makes them a bit more difficult to scape.

Maybe try to treat it as a cross-section of a stream channel, with some rocks/driftwood at either end, and a chunk of open space in the middle. (maybe use one branchy piece of wood extending to about the 1/3 mark to try and hit the golden ratio)

Should be interesting, let us know what you decide on.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
KFryman
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post

Maybe try to treat it as a cross-section of a stream channel, with some rocks/driftwood at either end, and a chunk of open space in the middle. (maybe use one branchy piece of wood extending to about the 1/3 mark to try and hit the golden ratio)
This is what I was thinking as well. Maybe have a few swords towards the back with stems and crypts then have the middle be open with foreground plants. Put some drift wood that's coming from both sides branching out with maybe some anubias scattered about on the wood.

This sounds like an interesting project. Keep us updated!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Jonny
Planted Member

Since the sides are in the wall itself, perhaps treating the sides as you would normally treat the back? Creating a valley with rock features built up on the sides?
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

the 55g doesnt lend itself well to this sort of placement/treatment.

I would go with a triangle type layout. with one end heavily planted and tapering it off as you move away from that end, but also tapering it into the center of the tank as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
fish_22
Planted Member

Attachment 173553
Maybe you could do a thin row of vals or something down the middle of the tank (green in diagram) and then just do some midground plants in front of that starting in the corners sloping to the front of each tank (blue in diagram) and then do foreground in fron of that (grey in diagram). center the driftwood in the open middle space on each half of the tank (brown in diagram) and do a carpet of either moss or a carpet plant in the open space (purple in diagram) if you wanted.
it will be hard with so little space on each side, but if you planted wisely and chose plants that grew more vertically vs. horizontally, it should work

good luck with whatever you do!

Last edited by fish_22; 07-20-2013 at 05:57 AM..
fish_22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Thanks all! These are great suggestions. I forwarded to my friend and will keep you updated. Funny thing is now I am interested in doing something like this too. I can get my hands on a 120 gallon that is 2' deep and am considering putting that in the office lobby at my own job!
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.