25 gallon Rescape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

25 gallon Rescape

As the title says, this is a complete rescape with totally new materials (and ideas ) from my first planted tank, found here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193790

Well, lets get this thing going:

A day after the tear down, soil ready to use. I didn't dry the ADA AquaSoil for reuse as some people online suggested:

For hardscape this time is only stones. I went to a pond design shop to find more materials, but they mostly sell gigantic boulders. The shop owner however said that we can look around for smaller scraps and chippings with price at $0.28 per pound. My dad and I did our best and here is the result:

I should get everything planted by the end of next week.
iter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
iter
Planted Member

Default Materials and Plants

Materials List:

Aquarium:
-Marineland 90cm*30cm*36cm (L*W*H) Glass Aquarium
-Don't know anything about the stand, but it fits the aquarium perfectly

Lighting:
-36 inch Hagen Glo Dual T5HO
-Giesemann Midday
-Giesemann Aquaflora
-10 Hours Photo-period

Filtration:
-Eheim Classic 2213
-Fluval Biomax (Leftovers, unused)
-Fluval Carbon (Leftovers, unused)
-CPR Biobale

CO2:
-Green Leaf Aquariums Nature Beast CO2 Regulator
-Green Leaf Aquariums Brass Check Valves
-Fluval Bubble Counter
-5lb Cylinder
-UP Aqua Inline CO2 Atomizer (12-16 mm tubing)

Substrate & Scaping Materials:
-Reused ADA Amazonia (11 months old)
-Stone chippings (from a pond design store)
-Small marble pieces (for substrate support and stone stability)

Additives & Fertilizers:
-Seachem Equilibrium
-Seachem Acid Buffer
-Seachem Stability
-Seachem Prime
-Monopotassium Phosphate
-Potassium Nitrate
-CSM+B

Plants List:

From extraplant:
-Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
-Rotala rotundifolia
-Staurogyne repens
-Hemianthus micranthemoides

From Previous Scape:
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' or 'bronze'
-Crpytocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
-Bacopa caroliniana
-Ludwigia arcuata

Last edited by iter; 11-08-2013 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: Insertion of Material and Plant Data
Old 10-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Check out this 29 Gallon Forest Scape and artistic composition aquascape
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
iter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Hmmm.....very interesting indeed . Thanks for sharing! I'll see what I can do about the rule of thirds and the Fibonacci spiral. More planning!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
iter
Planted Member

Default The Planting

11/6/13-

Planting complete! I ordered my plants from extraplant here. Because I live relatively close to the Florida Aquatic Nurseries in Fort Lauderdale (I live in Orlando) the shipping took less than a day and plants were all very healthy . The packaging was also excellent; the Styrofoam and the box were sturdy, and the plants inside were put in with care. I definitely recommend this seller, especially to those who live near Florida. I should have ordered more of some species, but overall I filled up the tank well with the plants I already have and the ones that were bought. So, pics as proof :

First, I stuck bamboo sticks to give a general guideline for planting the foreground and also helps me to remember my planting plan:

Preparing the plants (Staurogyne repens, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, and Rotala rotundifolia):

The foreground and mid-ground planted (I forgot to take pictures of background stems planted ):

And finally, the FTS :

The water is still cloudy from the planting and the water-filling process; will take more pictures when the water becomes clearer. So far, I am doing about a 30-50% water change daily for the first 3-4 days, and then lengthening that to changing the water every two days. Weekly water changes will begin around the start of the second week.

Because of the frequent water changes, adding ferts now is pretty much pointless. May I ask for suggestions as to when I should start adding the ferts? I am going normal EI by the way.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
iter
Planted Member

11/8/13-

The aquarium during water change. There are still lots of dust and other suspended debris in these photos, but still decent enough:

Rotala pearling already :

And the FTS:

I will start to do a water change every two days on Sunday. Ferts will start on Saturday; probably going to start with a lower dose so the system can safely adjust.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
iter
Planted Member

11/17/13-

Just a small update taken when the lights are about to shut off.

Far view

This is (I think it is) day 11 since it started.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
iter
Planted Member

11/19/13-

4 Amanos and 7 otos were added today to take care of all the diatoms that basically covered everything. Should be gone in a week. Other than that, I am doing 50% water changes every 2 days while dry dosing EI. I also decided to transfer the HM on the left side over to the right side and fill the space with the Bacopa as it grows. Probably will do this once stems are ready to trim.

As an extra note, the rotala is literally growing about 1/2 inch per day its scary .
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)

Awesome tank! Otos and amanos are so awesome. I have them in my 10 gallon. Not a single diatom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
11/19/13-

4 Amanos and 7 otos were added today to take care of all the diatoms that basically covered everything. Should be gone in a week. Other than that, I am doing 50% water changes every 2 days while dry dosing EI. I also decided to transfer the HM on the left side over to the right side and fill the space with the Bacopa as it grows. Probably will do this once stems are ready to trim.

As an extra note, the rotala is literally growing about 1/2 inch per day its scary .
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Adam Smith

PTrader: (0/0%)

40 Gallon Tank Rescape: Going Dirted
Dave and I decided we wanted to change our substrate which had become a mix of dark something or another under sand under flourite red and we were sick of it. We wanted to go dirted and have a nice gravel mix so it is safe and clean for the new stock and so the plants can flourish. So I special ordered some gravel from our LFS (could not find what we wanted anywhere!), got a bag of organic potting soil, and went to work. We took pictures throughout the process and are making a little video as well. Just thought I'd share
Adam Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
manzpants92
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice tank! good growth on the update, keep it up
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
iter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
Awesome tank! Otos and amanos are so awesome. I have them in my 10 gallon. Not a single diatom.
Their cleaning ability is surely useful. Actually, after I added them in the tank the next day I couldn't see diatoms and algae on most of the plants anymore. Couldn't get better than that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
40 Gallon Tank Rescape: Going Dirted
Dave and I decided we wanted to change our substrate which had become a mix of dark something or another under sand under flourite red and we were sick of it. We wanted to go dirted and have a nice gravel mix so it is safe and clean for the new stock and so the plants can flourish. So I special ordered some gravel from our LFS (could not find what we wanted anywhere!), got a bag of organic potting soil, and went to work. We took pictures throughout the process and are making a little video as well. Just thought I'd share
I have no experience in dirted tanks, but I seen many people use sand to cap the sand. Here is an example: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...light=crazydaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzpants92 View Post
Nice tank! good growth on the update, keep it up
Thanks! Doing my best .
Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
iter
Planted Member

11/23/13-

Nothing special really going on; no algae issues (yet), ammonia issues, etc. I will however be trimming very soon, the rotala is going crazy. I will delay it for a few more days as I also want the HM to catch up a bit so I can trim the stems at the same time. Crypts are not doing too well actually, but it should start to pick up its growth in a few weeks.

A more closer shot of the aquarium

Lilaeopsis runners. Hope it will start to get going soon too, at this rate it will at least half a year to fill the tank up

A side view

And the FTS

I also might move some stems around during the trimming, for example the bacopa or the HM on the left.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
iter
Planted Member

11/30/13-

Did a trim on all the stem plants and moved some around 4 days ago. I replanted the stems on the rotala, but now I think I should have cut the replanted tops even shorter, as it is taking over the trimmed stems. Depending on how it grows I might just do a small trim on the replanted tops if it gets rooted quickly, we'll see. I moved the ludwigia to the right and replanted all the HM on the right as well.

The fish was added yesterday; the temporary holding tank took too much space so I needed to quickly get rid of it. Luckily nothing has happened so far yet, no idea about the tank cycling though, didn't test for anything .

Well, the pictures:

Trimmed rotalas

FTS

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
iter
Planted Member

12/7/13-

Another normal update, nothing much to say really. Still experimenting on the CO2 though, having trouble getting injecting the right amount inside. I also added a small powerhead to help with water circulation. Finally, I will be converting the tank that I was holding the fish in into a paludarium .

FTS:

I kinda just realized that the Lilaeopsis might be too tall lol. Even if it covers the rocks, I just hope at least the crypts and the staurogyne will be tall enough to be seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.