New Member ? How to plant without making a mess of the substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Sophia
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Member ? How to plant without making a mess of the substrate

I doing my first tank. It will be a 29 gallon Walstad tank I am following the directions from the "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". I have filter sand and MGPS. The book gave directions to set up the tank with 3 inches of water and let it sit for a day. There is no mention of planting directions. My water is clear I made sure to put a piece of plastic over the substrate when I added the 3 inches of water so it would not stir up or cloud. I want a nice clean layer of sand without dirt leaching through. How do I plant and make the plants stay put. I have some plant anchors but from looking at them I don't see how they could be heavy enough to keep the plants in place.

Oh and also
Unfortunately, most of my plants arrived unlabeled. The ones I can identify are the Amazon swords how deep do they get planted? (I will have try to identify the rest but at least I can start planting the swords)
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Your best bet will be to get planting pinsettes, or long tweezers.

If you have a harbor freight near you, you can pick up a 6 pack of tweezers for about $4. Although since your tank is taller, I recommend checking the FS section on TPT and buy some 12"+ pinsettes for planting...I bought mine from nilocg, but there are many other people who sell them for about $10-$15

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote