DIY 10 Gallon Stand $18.46 (With Pictures)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY 10 Gallon Stand $18.46 (With Pictures)

Hey Guys,

I recently decided to build a stand for my 10 gallon planted tank as it was having some issues being to close to a window. I used two 2x4's and a small box of screws coming to a total cost of $18.46. It's obviously in no showroom condition but it serves it's purpose. I'll eventually stain it and maybe add a door/backing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130707-00540.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	171353  

Name:	IMG-20130707-00541.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	171361  

Name:	IMG-20130707-00542.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	171369  

Name:	IMG-20130707-00543.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	171377  

Name:	IMG-20130707-00544.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	171385  

TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
AlphaMax
Algae Grower

Nice design, I'm doing the same model but with three 2x4s since I want it 40 in high
AlphaMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

A little paint would make this look classy
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

I definitely plan on staining it so that it looks a bit more classy, Hopefully in the future i'll be able to ad some siding to it.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

It's a matter of preference, and it is your stand, but unless you plan to use a dark stain or cover those 2x4's with some nicer wood, painting might be a better choice.
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Higher grade wood is always a good thing when doing a "raw wood" look too and they dont cost but a buck or 2 more.
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

That stand design should work well for a 10 gallon tank, but it isn't likely to work well for a 40 gallon tank. The tank/water weight is carried largely by the nails, in shear. When nails are loaded in shear, they tend to crush the wood fibers, loosening the joint and letting the part being loaded sag. That would then make 4 points on the front and back bottom trim of the tank support the whole tank. (on the tops of the legs.) Also, there is inadequate resistance to racking loads, side to side, unless a back is put on the stand.

Big tanks need to have vertical support under all 4 corners of the tank, all the way from the tank to the floor.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Jitu613

Send a message via Yahoo to Jitu613

Nice design.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Jitu613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Its a simple design and cost effective, but I'm worried about a small footprint and being a little top heavy. You might want to consider adding some straps to the wall like they do with tall furniture to keep it from falling over. It doesn't need to be a lot, just a little added security.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

I don't like saying anything discouraging and I am always happy to see someone take the time and effort to build something themselves as opposed to just buying something but Hoppy is right.
A 10 gallon tank seems small but there's 100lbs of water and glass on top of a relatively tall skinny stand there. Some sort of back or a cross brace would make the stand much more able to resist racking loads.
Aquarium stands need to be able to withstand not only the straight down forces applied by the weight of the tank but any racking loads as well like if someone stumbles into the tank accidentally. There's a lot of weight along with glass there and safety is number one. Another thing to consider is earthquakes if you live in an area that's prone to them. A couple straps holding the stand to the framing of the house is cheap piece of mind-especially on larger tanks.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That stand design should work well for a 10 gallon tank, but it isn't likely to work well for a 40 gallon tank. The tank/water weight is carried largely by the nails, in shear. When nails are loaded in shear, they tend to crush the wood fibers, loosening the joint and letting the part being loaded sag. That would then make 4 points on the front and back bottom trim of the tank support the whole tank. (on the tops of the legs.) Also, there is inadequate resistance to racking loads, side to side, unless a back is put on the stand.

Big tanks need to have vertical support under all 4 corners of the tank, all the way from the tank to the floor.
lol you do realize i built this for a 10 gallon tank right? and not a "big tank" or a 40 gallon like you're referring to. If i was going to build a stand for a 40 gallon I wouldn't use this design, I used this design because it's such a small tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitu613 View Post
Nice design.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Its a simple design and cost effective, but I'm worried about a small footprint and being a little top heavy. You might want to consider adding some straps to the wall like they do with tall furniture to keep it from falling over. It doesn't need to be a lot, just a little added security.
What do you mean worried about a small footprint? and it's really not that tall either. Maybe the picture just makes it seem that way
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneywt1180b View Post
I don't like saying anything discouraging and I am always happy to see someone take the time and effort to build something themselves as opposed to just buying something but Hoppy is right.
A 10 gallon tank seems small but there's 100lbs of water and glass on top of a relatively tall skinny stand there. Some sort of back or a cross brace would make the stand much more able to resist racking loads.
Aquarium stands need to be able to withstand not only the straight down forces applied by the weight of the tank but any racking loads as well like if someone stumbles into the tank accidentally. There's a lot of weight along with glass there and safety is number one. Another thing to consider is earthquakes if you live in an area that's prone to them. A couple straps holding the stand to the framing of the house is cheap piece of mind-especially on larger tanks.
Rodney
Thanks but this was supposed to be a cost effective and simple/cheap design. I'm a student and have limited supplies and money and had to complete it in a matter of 1 day. I have no idea what you're talking about with "racking loads" but either way the tank is sturdy and even when i gently push on it there is no movement what so ever from the base or anywhere. I had a 160lbs of weight on it at one point with dumbbells and it was completely fine.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Yes, I knew it was for a 10 gallon tank, and I agree that it will work fine for that. But, I thought I read that someone wanted to use the design for a 40 gallon tank, which was what my comment was aimed at. Re-reading it, I see that I was wrong - he wanted a 40 inch high stand, not one for a 40 gallon tank. My mistake!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoPlantMan View Post
What do you mean worried about a small footprint? and it's really not that tall either. Maybe the picture just makes it seem that way
Your bottom circumference is the same as your top. Add the extra weight of the tank on the top, it will have a high center of gravity making it more susceptible to tipping.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

I'd say he's probably fine with tipping as long as the stand is on a hard surface like the tiles he has there. It looks taller than a standard 10g wooden stand. I wouldn't trust it on carpet.

Last edited by Chronados; 07-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Remembered wrong D:
Chronados is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.