Fake wood from Petsmart
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was at PetSmart today and saw some decent looking pieces of fake wood - the molded type of stuff (if it was real it would be at my house right now). My question is does anyone have opinions on this stuff? whatever I get I will be growing moss/ferns on it. I was wondering of the plants will actually grow on it or will I have to secure them down by other mean?

Or if anyone knows of a place in the Windsor/Detroit area where I can find some nice driftwood I would much rather go that route (unable to find any up to this point).
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 10:50 PM   #2
Haplachromis

PTrader: (0/0%)

:shock: gotta type this again >.< PetSmarts a joke go there at ur own risk anythin bought from those freaks should be UV steralized before u even look at ur tank.God PetSmart those 2 words in the same sentence seems soooo wrong.Goto the river (preferbly not the detroit) UV it all.Fake items is just that fake so git it outta here.
Has drift wood become hard to find ? lol
I don use much fauna as my fishies dine on it morn noon an night,straight up under gravel an 2 emperors cause im a lazy sob.
Ohh yah Happy Ho Ho!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:44 PM   #3
jart
Wannabe Guru

vinlo buddy the only opinion i would have on the fake stuff is that you would probably have to expect some color loss over time. it might look ok now, but who knows in a year or so... of course my tanks usually have enough algae here and there so i would not have that problem
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:30 AM   #4
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

Vinlo, I agree w/ jart. I actually have a piece of their fake wood, and I have to say that it doesn't look as good as real wood. It's coated in some sort of water resistant resin that supposedly, and hopefully, doesn't harm the tank inhabitants. You can see pics of it in my tank journal in the Photo Album forum.
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 04:32 AM   #5
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Or if anyone knows of a place in the Windsor/Detroit area where I can find some nice driftwood I would much rather go that route (unable to find any up to this point).
Yo Vin,
No local streams or ponds in your area? Of course its probably iced over up there in the north but its my favorite way to get my wood.
You would most likely regret getting the fake stuff, it just does not look the same. I remember some stuff that came out 15 years or so ago that had what I felt was the most natural looking *fake wood I had ever seen. Never saw the stuff on shelves again, it was almost like a one-shot deal.

Lastly, there are some absolutely beautiful pieces of driftwood that can be ordered from on-line sources. Get the wallet ready for those though...
Old 12-25-2003, 06:33 AM   #6
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I figured I'd get some flak for that post. I am just at a loss where to get a good piece of wood around these parts.

No streams around my parts.. the only ones near by were ranked in the top 50 most polluted waterways in National Geogrpahic in the 80s.. not gonna grab something outta there.

I think you guys are right though.. nothing is going to beat real wood. I have two nice pieces in my 30g that I got from BigAls when we had one in town.. it has since went under. Hmm.. the hunt continues.

Only problem with ordering online is I'd have to get it shipped to the states.. no one likes to ship to canada.
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You got all those trees and you wanna import a piece of deadwood...?

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:46 AM   #8
Zurp
Planted Member

Take a branch to a "Grave Stone Shop", ask them to blast it for you. Should cost about $5 - $10... if they are cool! That will strip off all the bark and leave a cool grain that will brown real easy, right before it starts growing moss. Why get a chunk of wood that has already decayed for 4 years, get a new one, and you get an extra 4 years out of it! Besides, drift wood is easier to find when it is still rooted and full of leaves!
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:12 AM   #9
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

And then use how many stones to hold it down Zurp ?
Old 12-26-2003, 03:42 AM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Zurp,

Your plan is doomed to failure. You want the heartwood. If the wood is still actively decaying then it is not god for your tank. If you take good hard heartwood and submerge it in water it will stay there for hundreds of years.

I know people here who live in floating homes and the logs that float the home are close to 100 years old and still going strong.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:29 AM   #11
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definately agree with Rex.

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #12
Zurp
Planted Member

It was a joke! :P
I was playing off of nordic's coment about... "You have all of those trees"

Why sink it, let it float!

It is just that this is how most of the wood that they sell at Pet Co is...

It is not true driftwood, the stuff I have seen. It is just blasted and bleached wood. I even saw a fir in there... and it wasn't cypress.

I think they just assume that because it has a rock base, that it was made for a fish tank. I am about 90% sure that the wood I saw was intended for reptile climbing, not fish-tank sinking. But they keep it in the fish-tank area, not the reptile area... I won't tell them to move it! :twisted:
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #13
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

Ha,you better don't be there when someone else tell the shop those are reptile wood and you say "I knew this all along". You might ended up in the shop working haha

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
1st 40w Lighting: 40W Marine Glo
2nd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Power Glo
3rd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Aqua Glo
Whole set of Azoo fertilizers
3.8 kg Pressurized co2 tank
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:15 PM   #14
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I know people here who live in floating homes and the logs that float the home are close to 100 years old and still going strong.
Well, so much for the soak it until it sinks theory.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:26 AM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Some types of wood will never sink.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote