The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 55 gallon community aquarium

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Dina-Angel 
#1 · (Edited)
I have made some changes in my aquarium, moved some plants around... Still not satisfied, but it is getting there.

Before and after pictures :)

What do you guys think?

#4 ·
I like the look! If I may give you one piece of advice, it looks like you might have the rhizome (thick root like part where the leaves shoot off) buried on the anubias plants in the front corners. The rhizome needs to be exposed or the plant will likely not survive. Just my .02.

#5 · (Edited)
I really like your tank :) Keep up the good work!

I'm NOT an expert...but try to get the anubia rhizome above the gravel. I had to anchor my anubias with small stones, but you could also use a dot of super glue on a stone. Just be careful not to get too much super glue on the rhizome as that can smother it (I did that once...big mistake) In the photo below, the rhizome is the long part where the leaves come off...This anubia is probably planted a bit high (it floated up a bit from the stones) but the roots had no trouble reaching down to the substrate...

Hope this helps :) And I'm sure you can find better photo examples of planted anubias on the forum :) :)

#6 ·
Thank you :)

I have seen it a lot that the rhizomes are not underneath the gravel. Does it have to be that way or does the anubias just grow better with it? Mine has been growing pretty good, getting new leaves and so on. Or will it eventually die if i leave it with rhizome in the gravel?

#7 ·
It will eventually die if the rhizome is left in the gravel. However, the roots themselves can be partially buried in the gravel to provide a "cleaner" look. Just don't bury the rhizome.

#12 · (Edited)
Just another updated picture.

Since i increased the amount of water i take out during changes, the tannins are decreasing fast as you can see when you compare this picture to the last i posted. Everything looks healthy so far except for that the Water Sprite gave up, so did the Water Wisteria and I am still unsure about the Swords... Added Root Tabs a few weeks ago and I am dosing Excel, but less than recommended. One Sword looks much better, the other don't thrive and don't die, i guess i can live with that right now. The Hornwort in the middle filled out more and i transferred some of it to my shrimp tank... Will see how that goes :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.