I really love craigslist sometimes - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Last night I attempted to clean one of the glass covers as an experiment of what will work to get this gunk off. If I scratch it or make it worse, I haven't ruined a panel on the tank.

Solutions that so far have failed to work: Fresh razor blade, vinegar, CLR, borax, simple green (no surprise),a magic eraser and some toothpaste.

An initial soak of vinegar along with the razor blade helped remove the mass of the build up, but there is still a significant haze. Magic eraser took a little more off, but it took some serious elbow grease will small returns for the effort. I also think my razor blade has left scratches in the glass.

Gonna pick up some ultra fine steel wool and some other stuff today after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
Even better, muriatic acid and the deposits will wipe right off, no elbow grease required. Just don't breathe the fumes or get it on your skin...
I've read a few places that suggest that. Especially if there is any boron residue in the local water supply. Do you know of any local stores that would carry muriatic acid? And does it ruin silicone? I'm halfway tempted to disassemble both tanks, thoroughly clean and polish the glass, then reassemble them.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Cannimal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Muriatic acid can be found ay any store that sells pool supplies.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Cannimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
thelub

Thanks cannimal!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Also, home depot and lowes will sell it, and many hardware chains (i.e. True Value, etc.). Look in the paint section - they sell it to clean concrete floors prior to painting.

It works really well and is safe for glass and silicone, but it will destroy metal, painted surfaces, plant life, etc. and it can burn your skin (in a way that's moderately irritating, not REALLY bad). It smells kinda bad and the odor can be irritating. You definitely have to respect it, but it's SO effective for stuff like this it's worth the effort IMHO.

I'd start by getting a spare milk jug or other sealable container, and dilute 2:1 water:acid. Then put the tank on the ground (driveway, other area you don't care about) and pour a cup or two in. Let it sit for half an hour or more, then rinse with a hose. Turn the tank so another panel is down, and repeat. If the deposits are REALLY stubborn you might have to scrub for a minute or two but usually they'll just rinse away with water. For stubborn deposits I get a soft bristle brush that can be screwed on to a broom handle, so I can scrub from a few feet away. I've had deposits so bad they wouldn't budge with vinegar or other methods after hours of effort - this method took them off with a few minutes of scrubbing.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
thelub

I just stopped by a pool supply store and picked up a gallon for 7 bucks. I don't need a gallon, but they won't sell any less.

They told me muriatic acid is deactivated with water. That means that I wouldn't want to dilute it right? The guy at the store said a rag will take care of the stubborn spots. I'm going to stop by the dollar store on the way home from work this afternoon and grab some gloves and magic erasers and see if I can't get these tanks shining again.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #21
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Please let us know how it works and if it affects the plastic rim. While my tanks are pretty good, I have several glass tops that could use a real good cleaning.
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #22
cmathews95
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
I have several glass tops that could use a real good cleaning.
True Dat! Don't we all
cmathews95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
All your base
Planted Member

Water just reduces the strength (making it less dangerous), I wouldn't say it deactivates it. If you go full strength I would wear goggles and long sleeves.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
thelub

Well I got some decent results, but its still not totally clean. I'm still getting a haze. Better than anything before though. Gonna try some more hard scrubbing and see what I can get. I'll post some before and after pictures later today.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

If i saw right, the silicone is white, and looking brittle. That may be a little concerning :-/
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
thelub

Yes all of it looks mediocre at best. I have a feeling they have been empty for a while. The top trim on the 45 almost pulled off just from loading it into the car. I'll be doing a full stress test before these go into use. I was even thinking about breaking them down for easier cleaning and then re-assembling them.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

PTrader: (9/100%)

Just came back from the local feed store after getting propane. Guy gave me a drilled 90 with sump including pump and lights. For free. Didn't want the stand since it is a cabinet type. And I hate cabinet stands.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #28
thelub

Thats a better deal than me!

So I think I've found the trick that will get these tanks clean. Muriatic acid worked, but still left a significant haze on the glass. I'm sure it would mostly disappear when wet, but that wasn't good enough for me. I wanted more. So out of desperation, I tried 150 emery cloth on my orbital sander.

I thought for sure I'd end up with a permanently hazy glass top from scratches. I couldn't be more wrong. The picture below shows what the original glass looked like before I soaked it in vinegar and then hit it with the orbital. Once in a while I can see a super fine scratch, but it is 100% better than trying to clean it up with a razor blade. I'm SO glad I found a mechanical way to clear this off. I was not looking forward to many hours of razor work.

I'll post the full size picture so you can get a close up detail of how well it works.

Here is a side by side comparison of the muricatic acid treatment vs. original. Its pretty good, but when you get up close the haze is significant.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #29
thelub

The top covers were by far the worst and I wasn't able to get them perfect. The tank itself cleaned up much better and is extremely clean for how bad it was before.

You can read a write up I did about it here
Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
All your base
Planted Member

The haze is likely the glass becoming etched from the deposits. No real way to get that out except mechanical means.