Petsmart now sells S. Repens and P. Helferi! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #91
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

My petsmart downoi very happy with how it did
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377612233.703005.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	199313

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #92
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

They have a new addition to the plant stand - an actual light over the plants now

Have had really good luck with their crypts and anubias, decided to see what the downoi would do in little bowls:

Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #93
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

my p helferi all died but 1, and its struggling. Can anyone help? I have them in different tanks.

*in a 10g planted, (2) 10w bulbs, i dose co2 booster and flourish
*in a 3g bowl, 13w bulb, no co2 or nutes.

The only struggling one left is in the 10g

Pic

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 08-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Added pic
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #94
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

not gonna lie but i've been very pleased with petsmarts plants. i picked up about 8-10 different varieties when i rescaped my 20L and everything is doing great (although i'm battling algae)

my s.repens melted when first introduced to my new tank but swiftly bounced back. after a few trimmings new shoots have started to sprouting/spreading across the bottom of my tank.

very happy!
jbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #95
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticus View Post
Just checked and they are available now at one of the stores in Madison. Yay! Picked up some Potamogeton helferi, Bolbitis heteroclita, Cyperus helferi and a bulb package with Crinium, Nyphaea and several Aponogeton ulvacaus.
!!@!!!!!@!!! Petsmart carries bolbitis??? How much was it how big was it how many stems was it pre-packaged how much did they have is it ever on sale is it good quality was it grown emersed do they have it on driftwood or rock how often do they restock do they carry this item regularly how is yours doing?
mr.bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #96
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bigglesworth View Post
!!@!!!!!@!!! Petsmart carries bolbitis??? How much was it how big was it how many stems was it pre-packaged how much did they have is it ever on sale is it good quality was it grown emersed do they have it on driftwood or rock how often do they restock do they carry this item regularly how is yours doing?

The ones i've seen were emersed in plastic tubes with a perlite/gel rooting substrate. There were 2 size tubes, 1 about 2"dia and about 4-5" tall for about $7-8, the other about 2+" and about 6" tall for about $12 or so I think. I can't say how many stems were in the tubes though. I purchased some A.nana and java ferns in the same setup, both were realy healthy and are doing well. Some can be pretty rough though, depends how long it was on the shelf. My local Petsmart gets shipments in every Thur but don't get a complete restock each week. According to the employee I spoke to the plants are ordered automatically & they don't know what tey'll get in each week. I went back a couple of weeks in a row looking for P.helferi and have never seen it in stock although there is a space for it on the rack.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #97
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
August 5

August 27

my s.repens from petsmart look wonderful. im so happy
Hey Charrr89, I got some S. Repens too from Petsmart. They did fine for a week and now the leaves are starting to fall off. I was wondering if you had the same experience. By the way, are you using root tabs? I've got a CO2 ladder running DIY yeast injection, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, been dosing 0.5mL Excel everyday and dosed 1mL Flourish today when I noticed the leaves were popping off. Thanks.

Last edited by Jalopy; 08-28-2013 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: added question about root tabs
Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #98
Charrr89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
Hey Charrr89, I got some S. Repens too from Petsmart. They did fine for a week and now the leaves are starting to fall off. I was wondering if you had the same experience. By the way, are you using root tabs? I've got a CO2 ladder running DIY yeast injection, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, been dosing 0.5mL Excel everyday and dosed 1mL Flourish today when I noticed the leaves were popping off. Thanks.
Jalopy...

Ive had root tabs in my tank for about 3 months prior to adding s.repens... started off with DIY c02, just changed to pressurized a week ago. seems like that made a big difference. also my lighting is a Finnex Ray 2, very bright. I also use Ferts. the ONLY fertilizers i use are by SeaChem and that consist of Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Iron. once in a while when i do a water change i use Prime.. and i also run 3 Filters on my tank. 2 Spray bars and one HOB. im assuming the water movement has something to do with plant growth also. Good luck! im trying to see if i can recover some Downoi i got for $5 at Petsmart because the bag was completely damaged...
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #99
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Cool beans. I'll give the root tabs a try. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Jalopy...

Ive had root tabs in my tank for about 3 months prior to adding s.repens... started off with DIY c02, just changed to pressurized a week ago. seems like that made a big difference. also my lighting is a Finnex Ray 2, very bright. I also use Ferts. the ONLY fertilizers i use are by SeaChem and that consist of Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Iron. once in a while when i do a water change i use Prime.. and i also run 3 Filters on my tank. 2 Spray bars and one HOB. im assuming the water movement has something to do with plant growth also. Good luck! im trying to see if i can recover some Downoi i got for $5 at Petsmart because the bag was completely damaged...
Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #100
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

My downoi all died, and my S. repens is hardly growing. Help?

36G
Aquasoil Amazonia
2x 24w 6500K T5HO (split photoperiod of 8-10 hrs/day; I forgot)
3 mL excel most days/week
Flourish Comp/Tetra Florapride when I feel like it

The S. repens isn't dying (it has a healthy green color), but it's not really growing, and I've had it since July. I can't get a pressurized system because A) I tried getting one and I can't figure out how to work it, B) The system in A gave me a scare when I tried to turn it on, and C) it's too much MONIES.

Help?

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #101
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

I also asked for help on downoi, no answer :/
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #102
Charrr89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
My downoi all died, and my S. repens is hardly growing. Help?

36G
Aquasoil Amazonia
2x 24w 6500K T5HO (split photoperiod of 8-10 hrs/day; I forgot)
3 mL excel most days/week
Flourish Comp/Tetra Florapride when I feel like it

The S. repens isn't dying (it has a healthy green color), but it's not really growing, and I've had it since July. I can't get a pressurized system because A) I tried getting one and I can't figure out how to work it, B) The system in A gave me a scare when I tried to turn it on, and C) it's too much MONIES.

Help?

i was scard too. so i watched abuncha youtube videos to grow some confidence lol. it helped alot.but if u cant afford a pressurized go with DIY it worked wonders for me. thats what actually helped......

Jalopy
For my root tabs i use ONLY SEACHEM. ive tried others before but none have worked like seachem.

Finnex member #14
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #103
Charrr89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tithra View Post
My petsmart downoi very happy with how it did
Attachment 199313

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long did your downoi take to get that way? i picked up some dying ones i got for real cheap... because they were out... im hoping it takes off in my tank.. yours looks BEAUTIFUL.

Finnex member #14
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #104
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
How long did your downoi take to get that way? i picked up some dying ones i got for real cheap... because they were out... im hoping it takes off in my tank.. yours looks BEAUTIFUL.
probably about 2 weeks for it to begin really looking like downoi. I hope yours work out! I will say I also bought a pack that were not doing well at the store, and most of that pack melted away in my grow out tank, I probably only got about 3 plants out of that pack that made it, while my other 2 packs that were healthy when I bought them produced 8-10 plants. I think high light/co2/ferts really help the transition process though.
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #105
Charrr89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tithra View Post
probably about 2 weeks for it to begin really looking like downoi. I hope yours work out! I will say I also bought a pack that were not doing well at the store, and most of that pack melted away in my grow out tank, I probably only got about 3 plants out of that pack that made it, while my other 2 packs that were healthy when I bought them produced 8-10 plants. I think high light/co2/ferts really help the transition process though.
Did ur gel look a little blackish too? It was hard to wash off

Finnex member #14