Peat and KH
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
Verminaard
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just wondering what peats affect on kh may be. I have a high pressure co2 system and also have peat in one stage of the filter. In order to get an accurate co2 reading (by way of the ph/kh/co2 scale) I would have to remove the peat. My question is how much would the peat be affecting the overall kh reading? I know it causes a false reading - but would that be to say that the kh is reading higher or lower than it really is??? my ph is 6.6 and kh around 13 degrees so that puts me to about 100ppm. This sounds high because I have this level in a 72g, while co2 is diffused at 70 bpm or 1.16 per sec., running 24/7. (Im still waiting on a bioplast co2 test kit to arrive, and have fish ready to go in from another tank, yes im anxious ) any help would be appreciated.......
Verminaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

With peat in the water you'll get an accurate kh number, it's the ph that gets scewed to the acidic side which throws off the kh/ph/co2 relationship. Even if the peat removes some kh ,the kh readings will reflect actual kh hardness. The problem is the humic and tannic acids that peat releases into the water column that acidify the water. If there is anything in the water column other than carbonates (ie:phosphate,acids or other non carbonate buffers) buffering the water, you're chart is rendered useless because of the effect on ph readings.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:05 AM   #3
Verminaard
Planted Member

So by how much (hypothetically) could the ph be lowered by the peat alone? My interest is to get a ballpark idea of co2 concentrations. Would it be safe to say that the ph could be off by .2-.4? If so it would put my co2 in a reasonable concentration. (from 25-35ppm).....
Old 12-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

It's totally unpredictable how much peat can throw the ph. Peat itself is highly variable, even from the same bag. If you want accurate co2 #s get rid of the peat or get a CO2 test kit from LaMotte which measures CO2 concentrations directly. Even with the peat removed I've found that the chart can be off significantly when compared to a direct co2 reading.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:35 AM   #5
Verminaard
Planted Member

I am curious, why are you using peat?[/quote]

I am using peat to lower my gh- as it is fairly hard--I am growing glossostigma (among other plants) which prefer soft water.....
Old 12-23-2003, 05:07 AM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

What do you consider hard? And have your tried to grow the Glosso in your tap water? I know many people growing Glosso in hard water.

I prefer 18 year old redheads. But the wife refuses to allow me them.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
Verminaard
Planted Member

with a gh of 10 and a kh of 14-i would say that is fairly hard. Im just trying to provide ideal conditions for the glosso. I know that people have grown glosso in hard water, but even with the peat -im still growing glosso in hard water anyway

Id love to get a r/o unit- maybe in the next few months-ive just spent way too much money on this tank in the past month or so(my wife wold kill me if she knew.)
Old 12-23-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

(my wife wold kill me if she knew.)

Join the international club!!!!!!!

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #9
Verminaard
Planted Member

The glosso is actually growing quite well-in fact all my plants are doing very well-its just that I have read that the peat would help.....anyways thanks for the help I havent yet had time to read that article you had posted...Im sure it will help with some questions that i have....thanks again