Elevated phos in Northern Florida?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

Elevated phos in Northern Florida?

Hi there:

So just moved to Gainesville from CO and set up a 180gal. When i bought my tank the guy at Aquatropics (the LFS here in town), indicated that the phos here is very high and that it could cause problems.

I pulled up the Gainesville water report, and of course there is no phos readings on it. I don't have the ability to test phos in my test kit either.

So was just wondering if there are any issues that arise from the elevated phos that you guys encounter out here (although i haven't been able to verify it yet)?

I don't really want to bother with it unless i have to. Some of the phos removers for a 180 gallon tank when you do a 50% WC every week start to get ridiculously expensive.

Thanks!
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I lived in Gainesville for several years with planted tanks. Never had a problem. I did dirt tanks, Aquasoil, Fluorite, plain sand. All tanks ran smooth. For water changes, I put water straight from the tap into the tank then added dechlor. Aquatropics likes to focus on saltwater (more $$), maybe that's where they see the problems.
Not sure if they still do this, but they used to refill bottles of dechlor and flake fish food if you buy a certain size and brand. I can't remember the exact cost, but it does save money.
If you need CO2 equip, get in touch with Greenleaf Aquariums. They're local and can get you stuff pretty quick.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I dosed 3-5 ppm a week when I lived there, never any issues, except running low on PO4.

Some at AT are not too good about plants, reef, okay, but not planted tanks.
I know the owner, nice guy.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
RootedMind
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
Hi there:

So just moved to Gainesville from CO and set up a 180gal. When i bought my tank the guy at Aquatropics (the LFS here in town), indicated that the phos here is very high and that it could cause problems.

I pulled up the Gainesville water report, and of course there is no phos readings on it. I don't have the ability to test phos in my test kit either.

So was just wondering if there are any issues that arise from the elevated phos that you guys encounter out here (although i haven't been able to verify it yet)?

I don't really want to bother with it unless i have to. Some of the phos removers for a 180 gallon tank when you do a 50% WC every week start to get ridiculously expensive.

Thanks!
the people at aquatropics are pretty useless i've had many issues with them just trying to sell useless products. My advice, since they are they only freshwater plant store is know what you want before you go, then get in and get out.
RootedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
RootedMind
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i agree though the owner is very nice he makes sure to let you know he appreciates you business and tries to help you if he can its the "others"
RootedMind is offline   Reply With Quote