Fallen Tree Branch 60cm
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Fallen Tree Branch 60cm

Current Tank Shot, 9/15/13:

_________

This tank is the new Mr Aqua 720LI, which is low iron glass and the exact same dimensions as the 60P, except it was only $122 shipped via special order from Marine Depot. I'm really happy with the clarity and quality of this tank. It's put together better than my other normal Mr. Aqua tank.

I've rescaped my old tank 3 times, and the number one thing I've learned is that substrate settles and everything moves. This time around, everything is zip-tied in place and I'm using egg crates to prevent erosion. I hope it goes well. I just completed my hardscape this morning (minus some rock that'll get added). I'm going with a fallen tree branch look, and rather than try and find a perfect single branch, I bought a box of assorted manzanita sticks from Tom Barr for $45. This is roughly 1/2 of it in the picture below. It was a lot of work, a lot of trial and error, and a lot of clipping zip-ties and moving stuff over and over. I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

I can't add in substrate yet because my one bag of Aquasoil is not enough (I already tried). I just placed an order for another bag, so I expect I'll see that in a week or so. As far as plants go, I'm thinking of doing a UG carpet off to the right. Then I have a pretty good assortment of plants in my other tank, a bunch of which will make it in here: s. repens, Alternanthera Reineckii Mini, downoi, anubias nana petite, ludwigia sp. red, blyxa japonica, and some rotola. I also need to get some good moss to go on the branches.

As far as light, this RAY2 will put out a little over 90 par at the substrate at this height, and I have good CO2. I'm not sure if I'm going to run this at high light as is, or if I'll raise it up. I'll probably start off that way and see if it's too much work or if I get algae issues.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 11-26-2013 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: updated information
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
wsharp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

holy **** that is sweet haha great job, keep up the great work man
wsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Mike00726
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

That driftwood is sick
Mike00726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love it so far - great job with all of those zip ties
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
skystrife
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

How have I never thought of this! Holding down the wood with egg crate/rocks would make my life so much easier when adapting new wood to a submerged state---wonderful idea.
skystrife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great job. Can't wait to see substrate and water.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Wow VERY nice job with the layout. You have a lot of planting options with all those branches and crevices around the base.

If you need moss, I'm trimming the taiwan moss from my Mini-M every now and then if you are interested.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
manzpants92
Planted Member

amazing layout. innovative with the crate idea for stabilization
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the compliments! With regards to using the egg crates and zip-ties to holding down the wood... as I maintain my tank, I bump stuff when trimming, I replant stuff, and things settle, and I end up ruining what I started with. It seems like nothing ever stays where I put it. Two nights ago I was sitting on the deck drinking a Jameson just thinking about this, wondering how to help prevent it, and then it hit me. I'm sure other people have done this, but as soon as I got the idea I sat down and sketched out this whole scape on paper. I woke up the next day and got to work.

I drilled strategic holes in most branches so I could really cinch them down tight and accurately. It's very solid. You really can't move any of the branches much at all.

Tonight I dumped in and graded out the 1 bag of aquasoil I do have. I'm not quite as short as I thought I'd be, but I need probably 50% more. I was really happy as I filled it up though, because it looks exactly like what I was going for. Tomorrow I'm going to check out some rocks to see if I want to add some in.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looking good hobby. Love the way you hardscaped it.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Wow VERY nice job with the layout. You have a lot of planting options with all those branches and crevices around the base.

If you need moss, I'm trimming the taiwan moss from my Mini-M every now and then if you are interested.
I'm excited about the planting options for sure. A lot is still up in the air. I have to toss the ideas around in my head for a while. If you look closely at the scape now, you can tell it's several branches, but I'm hoping that planting cleverly around the base will totally obscure that. I want it to look like just one piece when I'm done.

Also, you have some awesome moss in your tank — I've been following your journal. I might take you up on that offer.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my eye doesn't notice that.. The branches show more focal point than the actual base of it. Where did you get your driftwood?
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Nice job. I didn't notice it was more than 1 piece until I read it. I wish I had better hardscaping skills. I'll be waiting for the updates on this one.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Using multiple pieces and making it look as one works perfectly. Very innovative approach.

Personally I think your soil level is sufficient. Less soil in the front = more depth of field and room for plants.
synaethetic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Beautiful scape. I agree with synaethetic, the amount of Aquasoil you have in there looks great to me.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.