netflix - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #16
jkpedrita
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have a combo of netflix, amazon prime and a moho leaf antenna for the big networks. There is rarely something I want that I can't find. If that happens there is always ch131.so or project free tv. Oh and Amazon Prime has the bonus of free two day shipping. Good luck and congrats on cutting the cable cord.
jkpedrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #17
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

You know if I was able to pay for just the channels I wanted, I would keep my uverse service. I'd even pay a bit more per channel knowing I was paying for only what I wanted. I'm sure the logistics of doing that is insane so I doubt that will ever happen. Paying 200 a month for 500 channels and I only watched about 5 of them was completely ridiculous. So far netflix is horrible, trying to watch braveheart and the picture is horrid. I know it's not my computer/internet, has to be netflix.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #18
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

We are watching netflix as I type this. We have never had a problem with the picture quality, but every now and then we have a problem with buffering that usually lasts for 3-4 days and then goes away. It's like trying to watch a 3 min video on youtube that ends up taking 30 mins because of the buffering.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
DBL TAP
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Most cable providers are now offering an app that will allow you to watch shows on your iPad or smart phone. Ask your family members and maybe you can split the cost of cable.

I feel your pain. I'm paying $175 a month.

DBL TAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL TAP View Post
Most cable providers are now offering an app that will allow you to watch shows on your iPad or smart phone. Ask your family members and maybe you can split the cost of cable.

I feel your pain. I'm paying $175 a month.
No they're hip to that game. My iPad I can watch TV around the house, on campus or at work it says that I'm not watching through the device provided by Brighthouse and to log into my wifi at home
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #21
Tankoholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Netflix is only good for people who have particular tastes. It's extremely appealing to those who like Anime, cult-classic films, and off beat television shows. If you like mainstream T.V, Netflix won't offer much. I think they also don't upload shows/movies until they're out on DVD /:

Netflix was innovative when it first came out, but sites like Hulu would probably benefit you more.
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Tankoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #22
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (232/100%)

Im a netflix subscriber.

Be sure to get their Bluray if movie is available under this format.

Picture and sound is perfect. Hook up to my Yamaha reciever and Bose AM3.
DVD is a thing of the past. LOL!
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Netflix, amazon prime and hulu user here.

Movie content will overlap to some degree but mainstream content seems to be complementary amongst the services where some shows are exclusively available on one and not the others.

Our home has the Western Digital TV Hub, Roku 3, Plex, XBMC, ipads, ipods and a few other streaming devices. We also have 2 Verizon FIOS cable boxes servicing multiple HDTVs in our media wired home. With all that said and done, its really all about the content.

Last week, i watched the netflix produced season of Arrested Development and last night, Serenity after many many years. In some ways, HDTV is just spectacular, but in older films, i find it cheapens it by exposing all the flaws in the stage and props as it was never prepared for HDTV. The original star wars movie sets had some really poor sets where it otherwise went unnoticed under standard def. Its one of my concerns revisiting the Star trek movies, now on Bluray. HD however is the wave of the future so as Herns suggests, select hd when available. The latest movies just blow your mind on the level of detail possible. Any one waiting for Pacific Rim?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Anyone use Roku? I've been reading a lot about it and am really interested in hearing more. Of course I still have to order internet for $65 a month. Wish there was a way out of that bill.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

I use the Mohu "Leaf Paper-Thin HDTV (lol!) Antenna." Costs a little over $30 on Amazon and is incredible. I used to subscribe to Netflix, but found their streaming selection disappointing. I have Amazon Prime, which I use from time to time. Other than that, we just stopped wasting time on a lot of crappy TV shows. The one thing I miss is sports. Around this time of the year, I have something like one MLB game and some soccer on the networks. But I never watched a lot of baseball or soccer anyways, and there is enough college football and NFL on the networks.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So far it seems like out of all of the services I've looked at, that amazon prime would be the best match for me. The instant watch thing has from what I can tell, all the shows I watch. I'm not concerned about movies.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #27
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Go get yourself Prime and a Roku 3 ( or a roku 2 refurbed).... you'll be really pleased with this combo
Old 06-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why do I need a Roku? I can just hook my computer up to my TV can't I? Also I'm getting a Bluray player, that should have streaming on it, what are the benefits of Roku over either of these?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I like the idea of the streaming boxes.. I have an Apple TV in the bedroom and I'm toying with the idea of getting something for the (soon the be built) fish room.

If you're in a multi-tv home they might make sense. Otherwise it's just redundancy.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #30
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah it's just lonely ole me watching it lol. My nephew lives here but he is gonna have to pay for his own boob tube!