ADG to no longer carry ADA products - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Aquarium Design Group

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #61
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I am an owner of a company for 25 years with millions in sales, so I understand both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Pimp #82
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #62
tefsom85
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

For the people bashing Jeff, I hope that they are doing this based on personal, first hand knowledge of what is going on. Otherwise, its just gossip and hearsay. For my part, I have dealt with Jeff a few times over the years and I can only speak from that bias. But, i can say that in my dealings with him, he has went the extra mile to ensure that my experience was a good one.

I, for one, am hoping that this forces more competition for the ADA line and if ADG is the company to do it, even better, IMO.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #63
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (91/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
I love ADA because of the quality they offer, thus why I've never owned any other type of tank that tried to keep up so to speak. I just think its rather sad that people here are only hearing one side. On any level of business it should have been left at that they don't carry it anymore and what not... I just don't see it very professional to try and make a company look bad when they don't want to deal with you anymore, along with the fact that no one from ADA could even voice there opinion. This is how a bunch of rumors start and could potentially mess with ADAs reputation that they have earned by there customers hearing only one persons thoughts, especially someone who could have an emotional motive towards the company due to what happened.

And I can more than guarantee you that no one is hearing the whole story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Firstly, their products are not all quality. Some of them are straight up insulting for the price they are selling them at. Second, how do you know they are worth the money if you havent tried other similar products to judge "value?"

I am not sure why you have skin in the game on this one? Why do you care about ADA? Jeff and Mike have given to this community more than the folks at ADA have. I know Jeff and I know Mr Amano. I respect them both, but Jeff is part of this community so I support Jeff.

jB
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #64
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
Firstly, their products are not all quality. Some of them are straight up insulting for the price they are selling them at. Second, how do you know they are worth the money if you havent tried other similar products to judge "value?"

jB
I already stated some of the things were down right too highly marked up. The prices you see at ADG, AFA, and so on are marked up 60 to over 100% if I remember correctly. I have only tried a GLA tank, a few do aqua which don't really justify much and a cal aqua drop checker. The tank first off was pitiful compared to ADA. The drop checker and do aqua not much off. Tank wise, you cannot beat them... And the tanks are the most reasonably priced compared of all there products.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #65
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Tanks can easily be beat. Have you seen some of the ADA silicone work lately? Pitiful. My TruAqua tank had better seams than my 60P, lol.

This thread probably needs to be closed soon anyway. It's getting a bit out of hand.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #66
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

(If I remember the formula correctly)

120% markup off invoice price is pretty standard ($100 wholesale = ~$220+ retail). Hard to pay bills otherwise in a small retail operation.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #67
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

I'm really not sure why there should be any bashing. A manufacturer has terminated a distribution agreement. That's there right whether the distributor agrees with it or not.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #68
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
I am not sure why you have skin in the game on this one? Why do you care about ADA? Jeff and Mike have given to this community more than the folks at ADA have. I know Jeff and I know Mr Amano. I respect them both, but Jeff is part of this community so I support Jeff.

jB
My thoughts exactly. I didn't think anything Jeff said was in anyway bashing ADA. This is the forum for ADG as they pay for their sponsorship on this site. If Jeff wants to state his opinion on the business dealings with ADA then it's his right as he pays for this sponsorship forum. ADA was able to put out a news release with the regards to no longer using ADG as a US supplier so why should he not be able to tell his side.

I don't think the market for ADA goods will ever be what it is in other parts of the world because the hobby in itself is different on this side of the pond. People will still continue to buy the Aquasoil and tanks(unless the quality is crap as some have stated recently) but as far as the other goods I just think there is only a certain little niche of hobbyists that will buy the overpriced "secret substrate additives" and glass ball fish food holder. If ADA wants to stay a luxurious company then they will only have a small number of hobbyists that spend money on items like that.

The day I would see Amano or any representative of the ADA company participating in communities like this would be the day I have a little more respect for them. After all I would love to have them answer some of the questions people have about some of their products. All you get now is some youtube videos of setting up tanks and an occasional coffee table book with some beautiful pictures.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #69
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

I'm really surprised by the bad feelings expressed here for ADA. It's not like they're leaving the US market.

I understand some loyality to ADG, but the hobby is MUCH bigger than a forum so you need to look beyond that.

BTW those coffee table books were the original inspiration for many including myself for getting into the hobby. They've been around since the 80s.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #70
TheGuy
Planted Member

Exactly.... I think this whole thread is BS. ADA dropped ADG and that's that. Yes ADA is high class and cost a lot, if you don't like it don't buy it and don't complain about it. Simple as that.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #71
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I'm really surprised by the bad feelings expressed here for ADA. It's not like they're leaving the US market.

I understand some loyality to ADG, but the hobby is MUCH bigger than a forum so you need to look beyond that.

BTW those coffee table books were the original inspiration for many including myself for getting into the hobby. They've been around since the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Exactly.... I think this whole thread is BS. ADA dropped ADG and that's that. Yes ADA is high class and cost a lot, if you don't like it don't buy it and don't complain about it. Simple as that.

I have no bad feelings towards ADA, I was just stating my opinion as were you. Just because my opinion is different doesn't mean it's not as valid as yours. I was simply saying that the market for ADA products isn't the same in this country as it is elsewhere in the world. I have been involved in this hobby for over 25 years and have seen many different trends come and go. If you want to be a loyal customer of everything ADA then that's your right just as it's my right to question some of the products they promote. I still think Jeff has every right to tell his side of the story in his sponsor subforum. It's not like he started a separate thread outright bashing ADA. The guy came into this thread and felt the need to "call him out" as if there isn't two sides to the story. ADA said there piece and so did ADG so I'm sure their both moving on and so should we.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #72
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Of course you can say what u want. I usually associate negative comments with bad feelings.

The only thing I saw from ADA is that short press release on their website about a difference in marketing. Is there more in the public domain.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #73
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

This is crap. If Amano doesn't want to sell ada products to adg, that's their right. Who are we to question this decision. If you don't like ada policy don't buy their products.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #74
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Of course you can say what u want. I usually associate negative comments with bad feelings.

The only thing I saw from ADA is that short press release on their website about a difference in marketing. Is there more in the public domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
This is crap. If Amano doesn't want to sell ada products to adg, that's their right. Who are we to question this decision. If you don't like ada policy don't buy their products.
Amen to that

Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #75
ADAtank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Can I get a amen! Ada will keep going