ADG to no longer carry ADA products - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Aquarium Design Group

Old 08-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #46
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

I do miss his posts and his attitude. I learned a lot from him.

On the other front, I wish the folks at ADG success now and in the future: keep your heads high and dam the torpedoes.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #47
krisw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Jeff, I'd like to commend you for your direct and open statement on the situation. Thanks for continuing to try to make the U.S. hobby better. It might not have worked out with ADA, but we'll be rooting for you and your new lines of products!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #48
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

I agree JB, those are really the only things that I stuck with after trying some of the substrate additives/ferts. All is not lost though, you can still order the from San Fran.

I wish you luck ADG, hopefully you can come out with products that rival ADA and we wont have to wait months for a container to arrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
If you guys (ADG) can put together a quality aquarium line and a quality substrate line, ADA will not be missed.

ADA's value (correlation between cost and quality) has always been very inconsistent and bizarre to me. Some things are so unreasonably priced for the insulting quality you receive, while other things are worth every penny.

In my estimation, the soil and the tanks were the two main things that were worth every penny. Again, if ADG addresses those things, cya ADA.

jB
Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #49
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

This is sad news but I can see why Ada took the approach, it's a short term outlook for sure though. The planted market in the us is just too small and too many people unwilling to spend money.

Sure there are the few on the reef side that DIY everything but even so, not as much as the planted side. Look at the planted tank sub reddit. Every other post is how to do something as cheap as possible. Not what's the best thing I can have for my tank? And when someone does drop the money, loads of posts saying wow I'd never spend that much on a tank.

Perhaps in the future, the market will grow with other innovators and we'll see a return of Ada to more than one distributor.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
MrAlmostWrong
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best of luck and for the past year I've been lamenting the fact that there seems to be so few ADA competitors in the States. TruAqua seems to be doing a good job with the mini-aquariums, but once you get to the 60-P range it stops there. Mr Aqua has cool sizes, but the silicone work always seems to be shoddy or at the very least hit or miss.

Would love to see GLA and ADG join forces in some capacity and hopefully a West Coast shop as well.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #51
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

I don't know why but this message posted on the ADA Japan site rubs me the wrong way. I really hope there are new competitors coming into the game because ADA thinks it cannot fail. They recently started to build their tanks in China but yet, the price has not dropped a bit even though the quality went down. Usually when you outsource your product production you tend to pass down the savings to your customers. Not ADA.

Termination of our contract with the U.S. distributor, Aquarium Design Group 2013-07-30
Thank you for your support for Nature Aquarium Goods, and Do!Aqua goods. In the U.S.,we have been so far marketing our products through, Aquarium Design Group, but as of July 25 2013, we terminated our distributorship agreement with them over the disagreement on marketing approach of our products in the U.S. market. We apologize for this sudden termination decision, and inconvenience it may cause to the end users and retailers in the U.S.

Archaea International Corp. in California continues to act as our product distributor in the U.S. For product availability, please make contact with Archaea International Corp.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #52
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Now that I have read all of this its absolutely pathetic what Jeff senske is trying to make ADA and Amano look like. I mean come on with the BS seriously?? ADA is as only a few here realize, a high end brand that stands for class and has been since day one. It doesn't matter if this aqua or that aqua has something competitive in quality, they still have a name unknown. The prices of ADA products are what they are because people will pay it. The products are top quality. This is the same thing people always bicker about.... If you can't afford the Ferrari then don't buy it, but don't cry when your Camry is nothing special. I can not begin the fathom how Jeff senske has the nerve to say that no money was made... What you have is someone who got dropped from ADA because they didn't want there reputation to be associated with ADGs terrible service which through frank being dropped may have gotten better, but far too late. I work for a business that inquired with ADG to handle ADA several times and the prices of products vs the prices that were suggested to be sold at were sometimes a utterly ridiculous mark up. If there was no money to be made, ADG.. AFA or whoever else carries ADA wouldn't. Simple as that. For anyone who doesn't work retail and realize what actually happened here is having a curtain pulled over there eyes big time. It's easy for mr senske to try and put down a company that grosses $12 million or more a year when they cannot have a word in the conversation. If ADA was a back stabbing company, terrible to work with or whatever else he would like to say then the company wouldn't exist. Jeff, a word of advice. When you want your business to grow you become competitive with company's such as up aqua and the others that tried to copy Amano and his company. You sir have a long way to go if you think bashing someone or there business will help you look better. You can't just be great, you have to earn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #53
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I agree with what Jason stated and I alluded to that in another thread. The tanks and the substrate is what most in the U.S. went for. The whole ADA concept was never really well received by most, probably due to mostly cost and the availability of alternatives.

I do believe though that ADA is an innovator so I wouldn't count them out in terms of coming up with new products that will create excitement once again.
+1

What most don't realize is that the tanks and what not were priced well, but as far as everything else with the exception of some of the hand made co2 accessories, it was marked up like it would have been livestock....

Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #54
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Now that I have read all of this its absolutely pathetic what Jeff senske is trying to make ADA and Amano look like. I mean come on with the BS seriously?? ADA is as only a few here realize, a high end brand that stands for class and has been since day one. It doesn't matter if this aqua or that aqua has something competitive in quality, they still have a name unknown. The prices of ADA products are what they are because people will pay it. The products are top quality. This is the same thing people always bicker about.... If you can't afford the Ferrari then don't buy it, but don't cry when your Camry is nothing special. I can not begin the fathom how Jeff senske has the nerve to say that no money was made... What you have is someone who got dropped from ADA because they didn't want there reputation to be associated with ADGs terrible service which through frank being dropped may have gotten better, but far too late. I work for a business that inquired with ADG to handle ADA several times and the prices of products vs the prices that were suggested to be sold at were sometimes a utterly ridiculous mark up. If there was no money to be made, ADG.. AFA or whoever else carries ADA wouldn't. Simple as that. For anyone who doesn't work retail and realize what actually happened here is having a curtain pulled over there eyes big time. It's easy for mr senske to try and put down a company that grosses $12 million or more a year when they cannot have a word in the conversation. If ADA was a back stabbing company, terrible to work with or whatever else he would like to say then the company wouldn't exist. Jeff, a word of advice. When you want your business to grow you become competitive with company's such as up aqua and the others that tried to copy Amano and his company. You sir have a long way to go if you think bashing someone or there business will help you look better. You can't just be great, you have to earn it.

So says the self described ADA "Brand whore"

He does quite well business wise and knows the industry and HAS DEALT with many many wholesale accounts, vendors, manufacturers. It's hardly the voice of inexperience there.

Many companies try various markets and while the company does not fail, sometimes the product line does not work out for various reasons. Your post it missing some basic business common sense and reality.

Things do not always work out over time, but they did for awhile.....and people have different views on why that is, ADA has their version and AGD has their's. ADG and ADA are VERY different. ADG is not trying to develop a line of products. They have long been focused on maintenance clients. ADA is selling a brand.

ADG and every ADA vendor SHOULD have a word in the conversation, they are the customer of ADA.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #55
TheGuy
Planted Member

Default ADG to no longer carry ADA products

I love ADA because of the quality they offer, thus why I've never owned any other type of tank that tried to keep up so to speak. I just think its rather sad that people here are only hearing one side. On any level of business it should have been left at that they don't carry it anymore and what not... I just don't see it very professional to try and make a company look bad when they don't want to deal with you anymore, along with the fact that no one from ADA could even voice there opinion. This is how a bunch of rumors start and could potentially mess with ADAs reputation that they have earned by there customers hearing only one persons thoughts, especially someone who could have an emotional motive towards the company due to what happened.

And I can more than guarantee you that no one is hearing the whole story.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #56
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
So says the self described ADA "Brand whore"

He does quite well business wise and knows the industry and HAS DEALT with many many wholesale accounts, vendors, manufacturers. It's hardly the voice of inexperience there.

Many companies try various markets and while the company does not fail, sometimes the product line does not work out for various reasons. Your post it missing some basic business common sense and reality.

Things do not always work out over time, but they did for awhile.....and people have different views on why that is, ADA has their version and AGD has their's. ADG and ADA are VERY different. ADG is not trying to develop a line of products. They have long been focused on maintenance clients. ADA is selling a brand.

ADG and every ADA vendor SHOULD have a word in the conversation, they are the customer of ADA.
ADG isn't trying to develop a line of products??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenske View Post

In the end this will prove a big mistake for ADA . Not because we are so great or anything, but because now we will have to (well, we already are) develop our own product line that will match the quality of everything ADG already does and is known for as far as aquascaping is concerned. We think the U.S. market is ready, deserves better, and we intend to deliver. We are already well down this path and have significant capital behind us so things are moving quickly.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #57
houseofcards
Suspended

PTrader: (55/100%)

There's always three sides to every story.

Bottom line not knocking ADG, but ADA has the right to market IT'S products anyway it wants. If they didn't feel the marketing was correct for them than so be it. Marketing is not a perfect science, it's a mix of things including gut instinct.

Obviously many of the products in the ADA system were not being consumed here, so it doesn't sound surprising that they would want to make a change.

Last edited by houseofcards; 08-04-2013 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: add
Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #58
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
There's always three sides to every story.

Bottom line not knocking ADG, but ADA has the right to market IT'S products anyway it wants. If they didn't feel the marketing was correct for them than so be it. Marketing is not a perfect science, it's a mix of things including gut instinct.

Obviously many of the products in the ADA system were not being consumed here, so it doesn't sound surprising that they would want to make a change.
Agreed

Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #59
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just want to see the people knocking ada supposedly building tanks in china and then go out to manufacture something outside of china. Remember, apple products of the highest quality are made in china along with a lot of other high end products. Then come back and provide those high end products not made in china at a reasonable price. You will come back to a quick reality. You will quickly find out only a certain amount of factories can do things, they do it for different manufacturers and cookie stamped out with different degrees of craftsmanship, materials and end of cost of goods.

No matter what the goods are, manufacturers sometimes outsource their manufacturing. And those manufacturing plants don't serve one customer, they also serve your competitors.

How about you innovate a product, change things, or do something that no one else has done and then have it knocked off by 10 other companies. Then try to protect your intellectual properly. I cannot rationalize how in this decade everyone wants things at cost now or for free.
Nikon Pimp #82
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #60
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

Someone above me is getting a bit too emotional. Apperently, the class on business ethics was never taken either.

There is a small difference between working for a company and owning and running one.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2