ADG to no longer carry ADA products - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Aquarium Design Group

Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #31
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Ada is a brand. They need to protect their pricing structure. People will pay for it because they can brag about it. Competitive products who look the same and cost less is already on the market, but people will not save or settle for them because it is not a high end product. That's why do aqua is there, for people who want to save. This is the reason why people won't buy a Hyundai genesis over a Mercedes s class or a BMW 7 series. You don't have the brand. They have the amano name and that is classy.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #32
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

If i were to pay a premium just to say i have that brand i would not be happy with myself as a human. Thankfully there are no snob sticks up this @ss. Thank you for the explanation, though i'm not a rimless nut, that speech per say impressed me, and makes me want to support you as a company just for that. Realistic, and no BS which all sponsors should be like. Bravo
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #33
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
It's closer to me too (Hello from Manhattan!)

I just picked up a 120P from Jeff about a month ago, but man, they are heavy and bulky with all the framing and such.

I did buy a 60P from AFA a while back and I do remember the shipping was almost the cost of the tank itself.
Haha. Lol sorry. I'm on tapatalk and can't see where your from unless I look at your profile. Sick, your from NYC! I would love to check that bad boy out sometime. I'll pick your brain about the process another Tim.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #34
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

No. You pay for a brand and that brand innovates. They develop the products then the copycats come out with their versions. Dont tell me in life you always buy the cheapest product over a brand, if you do, more power to you. There are times when you want to enjoy the finer things, even if it is for yourself. Sometimes you work hard for your money and you want something special. Thus is the reason why a Mercedes s-class or Porsche is out if reach for most people. It is priced so you it's expensive and you won't see yourself coming and going with your car. If the price was too low, everyone would have it. This is why high end luxury items like purses are priced like they are and there is 10 percent price increases each year

That is why people save up more for a more expensive handbag over a less expensive one, because there are so much more people with the cheaper names. Ada is a high end brand no matter what you think, and they want it to stay that way. People with ada lily pipes is a good example of people who prefer to buy brand over a whole host of knockoff products. I am sure ada is also smart enough to,protect their designs with trademarks, and copyrights. They may not have been enforcing it before, but if they are increasing pricing now, this may be just the beginning and they will go after all the knockoff products.

Fake lv bags is one reason why many people do not buy lv anymore, people cannot win a quick glance tell if the person has a real bag or a fake one

Just my opinion.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #35
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I rather have a knockoff tank with darn good silicone seams than have a premium priced name brand one with shoddy seams. Just saying. ADA's quality level is dropping and their price is increasing. More and more folks are coming out about receiving ADA tanks with lackluster silicone work. Doesn't make much sense to me. ADA may still have this reputation as being the cream of the crop, but when the craftsmanship gets shabby and you outsource your quality (Chinese made tanks vs Japanese or German made tanks) your precious title starts taking hits to it.

Back on topic, though. We have no clue if this is even going to be a "knockoff" of ADA. Perhaps it's just ADG's take on the world of nature aquariums. Some things (like aqua soil) don't have a ton of room for improvement, though. Just gonna have to wait and see.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #36
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (98/100%)

I agree, as of late there are threads about the crappy ADA craftsmanship.
I am becoming very reluctant in purchasing another tank from them. I would rather go with a custom made USA built tank than buy something made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hedge_fund is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #37
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

I'm sure ADG can and has custom tank builders. So tanks are a non issue.
Lighting a similar story. ADA aqua soil: well Up Aqua has a distributor in the USA, this looks nice and works very well, really good for shrimp folks also.
Glass ware, well, having broken enough stuff over the years, I've taken the Mame approach, modular parts: easy to clean and pull apart without breaking. Stainless steel can also be made to suit a variety of applications also.
Ferts? Well......
Scissors and other items?
Training?
Hardscape materials?

I think ADG will do just fine.

Without good aggressive marketing in the USA, ADA will go the way of Dupla if they are not careful. I'm one of the few people in this long enough to know that whole story. There are a few still around, but they tend to be pretty quiet these days.

Hopefully AJ will continue.

Sayurasem, you are correct.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't think ADA's glassware is even that great to begin with. I'd take CalAqua or BorneoWild's glassware over ADA any day of the week!
pwolfe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #39
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

This is just crazy! But I think that they've got a good handle on the products and the market, I think that they'll be just fine without ADA. Plenty of other options out there.

I've been following them on FB and their new shop is looking pretty nice! Best of luck with the shop and the future.

Also, I vote for some East Coast expansion next
Cyanider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #40
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Gah, we need one in the northern Midwest.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #41
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

If you guys (ADG) can put together a quality aquarium line and a quality substrate line, ADA will not be missed.

ADA's value (correlation between cost and quality) has always been very inconsistent and bizarre to me. Some things are so unreasonably priced for the insulting quality you receive, while other things are worth every penny.

In my estimation, the soil and the tanks were the two main things that were worth every penny. Again, if ADG addresses those things, cya ADA.

jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I think the main loss here, tpt, will be Franks informative postings.
BruceF is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #43
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I agree with what Jason stated and I alluded to that in another thread. The tanks and the substrate is what most in the U.S. went for. The whole ADA concept was never really well received by most, probably due to mostly cost and the availability of alternatives.

I do believe though that ADA is an innovator so I wouldn't count them out in terms of coming up with new products that will create excitement once again.
houseofcards is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #44
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I think the main loss here, tpt, will be Franks informative postings.
I really hope he keeps posting. I have learned so much from his threads, and I am not even an ADA believer. His whole attitude towards the hobby, and the level of detail he provided about procedure, has been super helpful to my noob self.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #45
Shango
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Frank was sharing online and teaching about nature style aquarium well before he was at ADG. He used to have a great nature aquarium how-to site too but he shuttered that when he moved to Texas. I'd be shocked if he doesn't pop up somewhere else teaching iwagumi with the skill and experience he has.
Shango is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.