ADG to no longer carry ADA products
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Aquarium Design Group

Old 06-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

ADG to no longer carry ADA products

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/sc/news/detail/1509

Hi Frank, I read in your journal you are no longer doing business with ADA?
Does that mean ADG is no longer going to carry and distribute ADA products?

Thanks for all your help and best wishes in your new endeavors.

Last edited by Green_Flash; 08-02-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: ADA news added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Hi Frank, I read in your journal you are no longer doing business with ADA?
Does that mean ADG is no longer going to carry and distribute ADA products?

Thanks for all your help and best wishes in your new endeavors.
I think he meant that he no longer works at ADG.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

where did you read this from?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
where did you read this from?
Post #1088.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Wow...

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

that's crazy
Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Chester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Check out the FB page for ADG. I think they are setting up a retail shop and are headed in that direction. My guess is it would be difficult to open a shop that just sells ADA stuff only, but that is just speculation.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have been purchasing a lot of ADA stuff through Jeff, as they luckily still have a lot of the ADA product in stock
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

They should probably update the contact info on their home page. Still has franks email. According to ADG's Facebook page they will soon be updating their website. Looking forward to that. Wondering if they will be offering other things as well.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Chester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Luckily for me they are located here so whenever they open the retail shop I'll be able to check it out. Can't wait!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

You are so lucky. Here in NYC we have no ADA locations, and not one even nearby that one can get to (the one in NJ I believe just closed down).

Being near their new store would be so great when I need another bag of soil, or break a lily pipe, etc. etc.

Plus their aquariums would be awesome as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/sc/news/detail/1509

Okay, it seems ADG no longer will carry ADA products. I wonder if Frank still works for them (ADG)?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=395802
Also I would like a mod to explain why this thread was locked?

This is indeed a sad day, ADG was actively working on bringing Wabi-Kusa to the US, better aquascaping materials and all the other ADA goodies like the ES-300, which still is not for sale in the US yet. I would like to know more details about the "marketing approach disagreement" but from everything I have read and heard it seemed like ADG was desperately trying to get ADA to take the US market more seriously, by giving us more products, sooner and faster than before. Also it looks like AFA has raised prices on a lot of things like the aquascaping tools and misc other ADA items. The yen has reduced, it would be nice to see some of that passed on to us the consumer.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Just as I suspected. 1 distributor means raised prices. It will difficult to justify future ADA purchases based on this scenario. It's sad indeed.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Congee
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

They will definitely raise prices. People should stock up on whatever they can. One distributor = monopoly.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
jsenske
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am trying to remain professional on this topic and not vent about a whole litany of issues we have/had with ADA, but it looks like GreenFlash pretty much nailed it already anyway. ADA has never taken the U.S. market seriously and refused all suggestion on how to make it better. They'd ask you for input, then argue with or just flat ignore everything you'd come back with. Very frustrating. We worked our butts off against a lot of odds to try and grow the market. It's bizarre to me that right as we start to produce some fruit (triple digit sales growth in the last 2 years) they pull out the rug over (what I believe anyway) an unfortunate staff-related incident we had that honestly was none of their business.

The "disagreement/marketing approach" thing is something I am still to figure out myself. ADA seems to think that higher prices for the end user will somehow grow their market. Our goal from the very beginning was to keep the price as competitive as possible (even then it was very difficult as the straight price from Japan is conducive to being "competitive" at all- I think we all know why). I am somewhat shocked that we lasted 9 years with it. There were so many times I should have gotten out but hung in there anyway. Not sure why sometimes. I can assure no real money was ever made. It's practically impossible with the pricing structure.

In the end this will prove a big mistake for ADA . Not because we are so great or anything, but because now we will have to (well, we already are) develop our own product line that will match the quality of everything ADG already does and is known for as far as aquascaping is concerned. We think the U.S. market is ready, deserves better, and we intend to deliver. We are already well down this path and have significant capital behind us so things are moving quickly.
There's some awesome stuff coming guys. Our new retail concept store and accompanying website as a platform for presenting the line and our whole aquarium philosophy (beyond planted tanks even) will delight-- I promise you. Trust me- I know the current adgshop site is a headache-inducing mess. It's dated and lame and does not represent where we are as a company today. Rest assured all that is changing. We were actually about to launch a new ADA products site that was so cool-- right as they dropped us. So we've regrouped and taken it even further as a platform for our own products and ones we exclusively endorse.

In the meantime, I have dropped the price on several items and we have plenty of Aqua Soil in stock. I mean the stuff does work.
Things will be changing in U.S. market. We will have the full weight of our talents (aquascaping, social media, photo/video production, etc.) behind this new venture. Please do stay tuned.