I am new to planted tanks (made a mistake)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Panther1012
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am new to planted tanks (made a mistake)

I bought a new tank off of Craigslist 37 gallon old eclipse tank. I changed the lighting set up... I put a combination LED and T5 HO lights on it.... Added a bag of eco-complete to existing substrate (Big Mistake)...... After a week I retested my PH is was sitting at 8.2 did everything I could to get it down. 7.8 to 8.0 was the lowest it would fall. I soon discovered the existing substrate was cichild sand. This was the reason for the HIGH PH. BTW my tap is a 7.0 to 7.2....

My goal was to have a Moderate light (South American Tank). So I have replaced the substrate with a dirt bottom capped with Black Diamond sand. My PH is now sitting at 7.0 to 7.2..... My question is this ..... My water has been sporting a white haze in it since I replaced the substrate. I did have a minor substrate eruption when I moved a plant. But I quickly caped it ....Do you guys think I have a bacteria bloom? Or is it normal to have this haze in a dirted Aquarium. I have been doing daily water changes to help with this haze but it is not really going away.....

PH test are as followed : PH 7.0 Ammonia 0 or .12 Nitrite 0 Nitrate .20

The Ammonia out of tap is the same color as my tank water so I'm assuming (0) or close to it... The test kit always registers a small amount of .25 or less... API PH kit
Panther1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

My question is how did you redo your substrate? Did you completely drain and restart or did you do it with the water in?

Dirt will leach tannins for weeks but that is normally brown. I re-did my substrate with shrimp in the tank and water in it. That caused a major ammonia spike and hazed my tank too. Or, it could be sediment for the substrate that should clear in a day or so with a wc.

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I will guess that you changed all the substrate at once. If the tank as been setup for a few weeks, you can bet that you disturbed the bacteria colonies. So I would say yes to a bacteria bloom. If there are no fish, no big deal. If there are fish, relocate them if you can. Otherwise monitor your water daily and back adjustments accordingly for the next few weeks to check for signs of stress or high levels of the unwanted.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Panther1012
Algae Grower

Default No did not completly restart...

I had a 20 gallon spare tank... I took 20 gallons of my 37 and put in this tank.....

I kept water flowing over two aqua clear filters that put out about 400 gph together.... These filter contain a sponge and two bio bags.....

The media in one of these filters is over a year old.... The other is about 2 weeks old....

1 inch of Potting soil with about 2 inches of Black sand over the top was how I did my substrate. I did wet the potting soil first....

I do have a some fish in the tank .... I am doing daily water changes.... I actually have a vacation coming up this Thursday. I will not be back until 6 days later.... I have someone that will feed my fish...

What are some of your suggestions? Yes the water has a haze... PH numbers suggest that I have some biological filtering going on.... I am concerned about this period of time with out doing my daily water changes.... What do you guys think?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Panther1012
Algae Grower

Default Also

I do not have an established tank to store these fish in....
Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Carbon might help.... If not,, turn off the filter's and add a gram of potassium percarbonate... It'll kill everything... When you're ready to stop the killing and to get rid of the red, put a pint of hydrogen peroxide in it... It neutralizes the pp and clears the water... Be real careful when using around fish... Google the heck out of it before using it... It's awesome,, but you have to know what you're doing
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

You can pp with fish in the tank... But read up on it first and turn off all filters... Be sure you're real clear on exactly how much and how long to use it before doing this... But it will work
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Panther1012
Algae Grower

Will that kill my plants ? Fish ?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
Panther1012
Algae Grower

I also added a carbon bag on one of my filters to help eliminated the food source. I did not have carbon in either of my filters originally....