Why doesn't algae grow in my filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Why doesn't algae grow in my filter?

Kind of a strange question, but I am hoping to get some insight into how to control algae when it pops up. I decided to post it here because I think there are a lot of people here who are very knowledgeable about all kinds of things planted.

I have an AquaClear 30 adjustable filter set to the middle of the range of circulation (20 gallons per hour? I have a 10g planted tank, going for 14 months. I'm just coming out of a destructive BGA bloom.

I have never seen any algae grow in the filter. The only thing growing in there is some bacteria colonies on the filter basket.

Anyone have ideas about why this is the case? The only thing I can think of is that the water flow in the filter is too high for algae to grow.

Am I right? Should I increase water circulation in the tank to fight algae if it pops up.

Thanks,

Steven

PS A little tank circulation tip - much better tank circulation with the HOB in the middle of the back of the tank than on the left
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquaclear filters are usually made of a brown plastic which cuts a lot of light, hence not allowing algae to grow much there I believe.

Michel