Blended substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Blended substrate

I just ordered 20 pounds of eco complete, planted, black and 7 kilos of dark fluorite... I was thinking about getting a bag of Amazonia as well and maybe even a second bag of red fluorite,, mixing them all together, then topping them off in the aquarium with black Diamond blasting sand.... Will this work?
Should I add in some basic, clay based organic soil to the mix?
My tank has just over 500inches² on the bottom and is a 46 gallon bow front.. High Tech high light
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

Everything but the Aquasoil is inert and contains little for plants. Aquasoil Amazonia is loaded with nutrients, buffers and will break down more quickly when you mix it up with other, heavier substrates like that.

Any particular reason you want to spend money on Aquasoil only to mix it up and hide it? Since you're not doing the entire tank with Aquasoil, my suggestion would be to leave it out. Just use root tabs for fertilization.

"Capping" substrates like that with sand will result in a mixture, with sand eventually settling to the bottom of the tank. There's no real need to cap unless you're using potting soil.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Everything but the Aquasoil is inert and contains little for plants. Aquasoil Amazonia is loaded with nutrients, buffers and will break down more quickly when you mix it up with other, heavier substrates like that.

Any particular reason you want to spend money on Aquasoil only to mix it up and hide it? Since you're not doing the entire tank with Aquasoil, my suggestion would be to leave it out. Just use root tabs for fertilization.

"Capping" substrates like that with sand will result in a mixture, with sand eventually settling to the bottom of the tank. There's no real need to cap unless you're using potting soil.
Thanks... I'm just trying to figure it out and doing a lot of guessing, to be honest.
I've already ordered the eco complete and the flourite, so I'll stick with that... What about doing a layer of treated topsoil along with the flourite and eco complete?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

Thanks... I'm just trying to figure it out and doing a lot of guessing, to be honest.
I've already ordered the eco complete and the flourite, so I'll stick with that... What about doing a layer of treated topsoil along with the flourite and eco complete?
I've searched threads and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what's best.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

There is no "best" - that's just conjecture. "Best" would be what works for you in a given situation.

If you're new to the hobby, using soil may not be ideal for you. Being new, I recommend just using Eco-Complete and Flourite along with root tabs until you have a really firm grasp on the hobby and are sure you're going to stick with it.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

How would I utilize the two... I was thinking of using the eco complete on the level foreground and the fluorite for the "hill" slope to the back.... As far as sticking with it... I imagine I will... I have an aquarium in every room of my house... I've always wanted a planted... Right now I have mbuna and high end fancy goldfish... I also have a Koi pond with high maintenance landscaping around it.. add that to my four dogs, my African grey parrot and my silkworm breeding(Koi and dog treats.. Super nutritional) ... I've got a lot of zookeepers duties... My wife and kid do nothing to help! LOL.. But I love it..

Last edited by Loco4Tanks; 06-28-2013 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

As per my similar reply to another similar post: do yourself a favor and stay away from mixed substrates for now. I bet you would like your first planted tank to be a success, don't complicate your life.

As far as the hill - it will be flat in < 2 weeks unless you read up on the 20 ways to make it stay.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hills and slopes don't stay without support. Most people will use rocks or driftwood to support the raised area. Other ideas may work as well. Make sure to show us what you come up with.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

I could terrace it with thin, short, long sheets of rock?
Heading to find the article about 20 ways to make it stay
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Where can I find the article "20 ways to make it stay? "
I have a really nice looking piece of driftwood.. But, it goes the full length of the tank.... Not sure that's the look I want.. I was leaning more towards a lawn in front and we'll manicured rolling hills in back with a primary tall plant section either on the left or right third, depending on placement of the tank.. I'm thinking of using a tall thin piece of a petrified rotted piece of wood as a divider of sorts between the rolling hills and the jungly tall plants on the side... I like the clean look of rolling hills covered with baby tears raised in the back above a short grass like lawn in front. Somehow blend the rock in to the left or right third of the tank with well divided mix of red and green tall plants

Last edited by Loco4Tanks; 06-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

OK,, I gave two bags each of fluorite and economic complete.... I definitely need more bags regardless.... Which should I get.. Don't tell me "preference".. I don't know enough for a" preference" lol... FYI I'm going Dutch
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It really does boil down to preference. One isn't better than the other. They're both basically inert until you add your own fertilizers.

Pick the one that looks best to you.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

I don't understand that if they are both inert, why I can't blend them or use one in front for ground cover and the other for deep rooters
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You're new to the hobby. Just pick something and stick with it. Don't overcomplicate something so simple.

One isn't better than the other. They're both just overpriced and overhyped. One is clay and one is crushed lava rock.

Just do what looks right for your particular situation.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

the subs play a big role on what shrimps you keep, or ph levels.. if it is general plants and fish keeping, you are good on either subs, if no plants you better off sticking with regular subs..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote