green dust algae questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
futurezach
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

green dust algae questions

I just redid my tank after a move and am getting green dust algae. I read to leave it alone for 3 weeks and it'll start to die. I should then do a water change, clean the glass and it won't come back.

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I able to do water changes during these 3 weeks? I dose EI, should I continue dosing, stop dosing or dose less?
futurezach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I tried blackouts, letting it sit without disturbing it for over 3 weeks (twice)... & other measures. NOTHING worked.
Then I set up my UV sterilizer & ran it 24/7 for about a week. Each day I would wipe the GDA off the glass to get it free-floating into the water column, so the UV could pick it up & zap it. Got it ALL after several days & it never came back.
If you do decide to try leaving it for 3 weeks, yes you can do wcs during that time - hope it works for you, though.
I don't believe your maintaining your dosing regimen will have any effect one way or another.
GDA oftens appears in an otherwise healthy, well-maintained planted tank, with little or no other algae types present. I understand it's caused by some slight imbalance in the tank which would not necessarily promote any other types of algae.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
futurezach
Algae Grower

Thanks for your response! I will try the leave it 3 week technique and see if it works.
futurezach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Wannaberooted
Green is good

I'm at the end of this treatment. I went three weeks, scraped, and on Monday I'll scape again after four more weeks. It's very sparce after the initial scrape, but still there so I'll do it again.

My biggest problem I think is I have to take the light off the tank, and I can't see well enough to get every bit of it. It never has been really bad, but I just don't want it in my tank, at least on the front glass.

I'll let you know my final results, good luck with yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.