Day 5 of Maracyn treatment and still green BGA present
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
annewaldron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Day 5 of Maracyn treatment and still green BGA present

Today I will be adding the fifth dose of Maracyn to my 30 gallon planted aquarium to treat Cyanobacteria. I have been dosing three packets per day.

On day 2 I saw a reduction in the appearance of bright green spots of algae on the substrate, but ever since then, it appears that the bacteria is still present, green again, and seemingly alive and kicking.

Tonight I am going to carefully remove the top layer of gravel in every area where the bacteria is present, and dose again with the Maracyn.

My photoperiod is 6 hours with no other daylight sneaking in.

Any other suggestions to treat this?
annewaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Ulupica
Algae Grower

In a tank I had at work I did a total blackout over the weekend and, along with 1 Maracyn dose, it wiped out the cyanobacteria completely. Depending on what plants you have the blackout may or may not affect them at all. It shouldn't do too much harm anyway...

Last edited by Ulupica; 06-26-2013 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Ulupica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
annewaldron
Algae Grower

I have amazon swords and wendtii.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

seems like you have curbed the lighting duration but how intense is the lamp? wattage, type?

what is the infected tank size?

frequent water changes have always been one of my tactics with algae along with increasing over all tank flow to prevent the build up of detris on the substrate surface.

Would it be possible to provide photos of the tank and close ups of the infected areas ?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
annewaldron
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
seems like you have curbed the lighting duration but how intense is the lamp? wattage, type?

what is the infected tank size?

frequent water changes have always been one of my tactics with algae along with increasing over all tank flow to prevent the build up of detris on the substrate surface.

Would it be possible to provide photos of the tank and close ups of the infected areas ?
30 gal, Recently switched from T5 HO to just a T5 fixture w/ 39w 6700K bulb and colormax.

I had been way under fertilizing the tank which is how I think I got here (root tabs but no water column ferts). Nitrates had been scant for a really long time.

I have my filter outflow valve directed in a way to help with flow, I have powerhead on the other side of the tank directing flow back again, and I run an airstone for four 1 hour periods every day. Should I consider a second powerhead?

I don't have a current picture to show you, as I did a top layer removal of gravel of affected areas and then treated again with Maracyn, So right now there's not much to see, but here is a photo from my initial outbreak:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372245780.170717.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	165225
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Mcar585
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I had the same issue in a 30g tank also a couple months a go and did the Maracyn treatment exactly as the directions say, the full 5 days. I removed the carbon w/ a 25% water change after Day 3 and another one after Day 5 dose. I didn't really see any improvement until about day 5 and even when the treatment was over I could still see cyanobacteria but it seemed as though it continued to take care of business in the day's following the final dose and I'd say after about a week it was all gone. I was worried that it wasn't working also but in the end it worked- no more cyanobacteria. My point being, just be patient b4 you do anything drastic. I've seen it gone in as little as 1 or 2 days w/ Maracyn and in my case more like 2-3 days after the 5 day treatment and then just take proper measures to prevent it from re-establishing itself because it will if you don't.
Mcar585 is offline   Reply With Quote